Wife and I have traveled to many all inclusive in Mexico and other countries. CRT gets high marks in most areas.
Smaller than the mega resorts but large enough to offer diversity in dining options. Adults only is a plus also. Beach, pool, lunch buffet and another restaurant at one end with the lobby and other restaurants and a bar at the other. Rooms are in the middle with a very nice path through the jungle connecting it all.
Clean and comfortable. No ocean views from any room. Six buildings, three facing the other three. Jungle setting so if you like it bright get an upper floor. Buildings 1, 3 and 5 get the afternoon sun and the others get the morning sun.
VERY nice beach. Thick white powder sand. No rocks on beach or in the water so no water shoes needed. Did not even see any seaweed wash up to be cleaned away. Plenty of shade from palapas or palms but you had to be down early to snag a prime spot. Good walks in both directions. Depending on weather beach can be a tad rough or pretty calm. Some snorkeling off the beach but nothing too exciting.
One pool only down by the beach. Two good size hot tubs between the pool and the beach but only one was hot, the other ambient temp so it saw much fewer people. Also a little 1’ wading pool which maybe was left over when it was not adults only. No swim up bar so if that is your thing go elsewhere. Plenty of shade with palapas.
Notch above the average AI. No restrictions on the number of ala cartes and no reservations needed. Resort was pretty full but the longest we had to wait for a table was 20 minutes or so.
Breakfast buffet was decent with short waits at the egg station and plenty of other options.
Lunch was either a buffet down by the beach or a snack type bar also down by the pool/beach. Had heard they had a pizza oven at the snack bar but was disappointed as most frozen stuff was better than what they offered. One thing you learn in other countries is when you see a favorite on the menu it does not always translate into what you are used to back home. Lunch Buffet was very good. Always fresh with enough variety every day to keep things interesting. One nice option was a grill on one side where they cooked either fish (great) or steak (so-so) fresh.
There are 5 ala carte restaurants. Two stand alone with the other three nighttime re-dos of the buffets or snack bar. There is also a night time buffet but we did not venture to that one. All had good food with the steak house at the bottom of the list. Favorite was the Tapas not so much for the food but the atmosphere. Outdoors with trees and nice lighting next to a Cenote.
Little over an hour from CUN so direct transfers worth the extra money. Dollar still king and they charge a lot in fees to change to pesos at airport. Jungle setting so bring bug spray. Nice looking gym and spa near pool but did not use. Free Wi Fi good in rooms or in lobby. Many Europeans (mostly Italy) but everyone great and there to have a good time. Shows at night pretty typical for all inclusive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults only all-inclusive resort, located in Xpu-Ha, Riviera Maya, on the Caribbean coastline. It is surrounded by native jungle trees, local plants, mangroves and cenotes - water springs where a diverse variety of flora and fauna can be found in an unspoiled habitat. It is just 25km from Playa del Carmen and Tulum's archaeological site, and 85 km south of Cancun International airport, in Quintana Roo State, Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Catalonia Royal Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Xpuha
- Riviera Maya Copacabana
- Copacabana Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Royal Tulum Riviera Maya, Mexico - Xpu-Ha