“Great escape” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Stockton, California
“Great escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel is real nice,food real good for every taste,service one of the best and the beach almost picture perfect. The drive from cancun airport not that bad about an hour drive,but is well worth it, not a party place its more like a relaxing resort very nice not one thing wrong.already making plans for next trip this year over all GREAT PLACE. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mijotom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rochester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from our third year at CRT. Obviously we love this resort....the size, the beach, the walk through the rainforest to the beach and the amazing staff. How nice to return and have them remember and greet you like old friends. While the rooms are not lavish, they are clean and comfortable. We dined, for the most part, in the Grill. The fish and steaks are excellent.The Italian restaurant was a bit disappointing this year and I did not here positive reviews about the Asian, which is new, so we did not go there. What else was new? The ring tailed cats were very bold and numerous this year. They are cute and funny. We only saw one iguana which was
quite different from previous years. I missed them. A word to the wise....if you book a trip (anywhere), BUY TRIP INSURANCE. On our return, we were delayed three days due to cancelled flights that were weather related. Unfortunately we were stranded in Newark, not Mexico.
If you go to Squaremouth.com you can compare policies and find one that is right for you.
We are considering a fourth trip to CRT next year.

Room Tip: We have been in bldg. 3, 4, & 5. The rooms were all the same.
5 Thank Erin S
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in February with two other couples for 10 days - our annual winter beach trip. All the staff from waiters to housekeepers could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The beach is beautiful but needed more loungers many days. When there were not enough the staff quickly found some. The pool is beautiful and large so many can enjoy it. Cute little Quiet zone with cabanas and a 'baby pool' with lounges in it - enjoyed a couple of hot afternoons. Breakfast and lunch buffets really good. Somewhat disappointed in evening restaurant food - just medium. Needs a better evening lounge area, bar and music - needs a good place to meet before and after dinner - only complaint. You will enjoy the natural landscaping and animals/birds. Rooms comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank LeslieVirginia
Kosice, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I visited this rather small, all adult resort in January 2012, solo. I got it recommended from a friend of mine for a number of its pros and I wasn't disappointed. I really can't say a single negative word about my experience at CRT.
The hotel is beautifully situated amongst a jungle. My room was located in one of the middle buildings, on the second floor and it was wonderful to listen to the birds´singing and look out at the trees every morning. The room was spacious, always cleaned neatly, the fridge restocked daily, clean towels along with a sweet lovely towel art on the bed every day.
Staff were very friendly and responsive.

I loved walking through the jungle path leading from the lobby the pool/beach or along the beautiful long beach.The white sand beach was very well taken care of, the sea was always great to swim in. I have never had a problem to get a sun bed.

The food was wonderful and served neatly, all restaurants very well kept. I am not a real drinker and only had two or three long drinks to try, but they were very nice. What I really appreciated was very good coffee and I also loved the tea corner next to the looby, a selection of great teas and coffee served along with lovely homemade biscuits!

Overall, I had a great time and I will recommend this place to everyone who seeks for a nice and quiet getaway. If it hasn't been such a long trip to make, I would have already planned to come back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Silvia R
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I traveled solo to CRT October 7-12, 2012, so this is a late review. It was the most wonderful experience ever! I fell deeply in love with the spectacular beach as it is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Although the resort was about an hour from the Cancun airport, the drive was fine and saw some interesting sights along the way.

Room

I emailed CRT about a month earlier to request a room on the third floor of Building Four and that was exactly what I got when I arrived. I booked a junior suite and loved every part of the room. The free wifi signal was very strong in my room as well and never had an issue getting online on both my laptop and iPhone. The room was always cleaned when I returned from the beach and my requests for more water in the mini fridge was always honored.

I enjoy walking, so I did not feel that the room was too far from the beach or the lobby and did not feel that any part of the resort was too far from any other part of the resort. I loved the wooden bridges over the mangroves and cenote, but be careful, as they get slippery when wet.

I also loved the walkways shrouded by under the trees and the coatis and iguanas because it really made you feel like you were in the jungle.

Beach/Pool

There are no words to describe the beach except: perfect. The water was the most beautiful shade of aqua and extremely clear. You could see the ocean floor and the angel fish that swam around you. I did make the mistake of wearing a bikini bottom that was held together by big gold rings. That attracted the fish and I was surrounded and followed by at least 10 angel fish! That freaked me out, so just a heads up to anyone who might not enjoy this either. haha. The sand was so soft and white and I loved walking up and down the "private" beach multiple times a day.

The water was very calm while I was there. The beach chairs were kind of on top of beach other, but that's only because the beach front isn't very big. However, I never had an issue finding a chair and even scored a palapa on the first day.

It was much easier to score a palapa at the pool, so most days I would set up my things at the pool and go back and forth between the beach and my palapa. The beach and pool were only about 20 feet apart.

There was only about one or two drink servers, so service was a bit slow. However, the bar was so close that I would just get my own drinks.

Food/Drinks

I thought the food was delicious at both the buffets and a la cartes. I really enjoyed the outdoor lunch/snack area next to the pool bar. The ceviche was my favorite. The variety and quality of food at the buffet at all times of the day were excellent as was the service.

The only a la cartes I ate at were the Italian restaurant and the steakhouse. Both were excellent.

Leonardo at the Italian restaurant was a very attentive server. Also, Carlos at the buffet was great as well and would recommend items to me.

I never ordered room service, but do remember the menu being limited.

My favorite bar was the lobby bar. Jose makes the best margaritas! They also have fresh, flavor infused tequila there that they make, so try a shot of that.

Entertainment

I didn't participate in the daytime activities, but was always invited to by Nicole. She was super friendly and always said hi to me. I had no problems with the Vera Club. I thought they were funny, especially when there was a sudden downpour and everyone freaked out and ran from the beach. One of the Vera club guys came on the mic afterwards and said, "Do not be afraid of the rain. It is not dangerous. You just get wet." It was hysterical and always stuck with me. I also had no problems with the Italian guests. Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed being surrounded by people of a different culture.

I only went to the disco once for karaoke and had a great time. Again, Nicole made me feel very included and we even botched a duet together. The music after the karaoke was more of the cheesy, wedding kind and not many people hung around after, but it was nice to have the on site disco.

I also had some photos taken by the on site photographer and purchased a few in the gift shop. Joy took a TON of photos, so there was a huge selection to choose from. Beautiful photos.

Overall, this was the best vacation I ever took and fell in love with the Riviera Maya. I would return many, many times to CRT!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank JCT1025
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a gem. Gorgeous Talapas, not a large resort.
I can only hope that more hip people go there. It is not an "American" resort which is good. Not many Americans. For an all-inclusive, I can't go anywhere else (short of Cancun). It is simple, not pretentious, and very natural. The median age skews older, and the people who have found this location aren't terribly image-conscious. I've been back nearly every year.

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk a lot as the distance to the various Palapas is great. If you are not fit you mi...
6 Thank alixmichel
Normal, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

First off all, the hotel started in a hole because our flight was just a nightmare, but it did make up for it somewhat. We arrived at the hotel later, almost 10pm. We were greeted immediately and our bag taken and drinks and cold towel offered. The check-in was quick and everything was explained. We walked through the lobby, over the bridge over the cenote and through the jungle. At night it really was beautiful and such a difference from our travelling there. It really helped the stress just fall away. We got to our room which was nice, its not that fancy, a mostly basically hotel room with a large bed, large sliding window to a patio looking at the jungle and a nice bathroom. Lots of people have mentioned wanting a third floor room, but we were on the first floor in building 4. It was right in the middle so that was good and looking into the jungle has its own appeal. There were other people that would rather not have had to walk up and down stairs to get to their room everytime. So we were happy with the room. The bag arrived a few minutes later. The safe was in the room and easy to use. There are plenty of towels and we ordered room service. The person that took our order was a little difficult to understand and didnt understand us that well. I am still not sure if you are allowed to order alcohol through room service. But we ordered a couple meals and desserts and waited. The room service menu is very limited, there are maybe 5 items to choose from. The food came in about 20 minutes. None of the food was great, some of it seemed like it was microwaved and there was not a lot of it, but I will discuss that aspect of the food later. But we ate and the night was quiet and nice.

In the morning, we went to the breakfast buffet. Its not a huge buffet but there are some standard food items. Pancakes, french toast, crepes, fruits, omelettes, various meats and cheese, bacon, sausage, etc. Again, the food is okay. Its definitely not the biggest or best buffet I have been to, but after a couple days you figure out whats good and you expect that and get it. The waiter was friendly and gave us mimosas and spoke english well.

The property of the hotel is very nice. The lobby is big and has a bar and a couple restaurants in it. At night there was generally a mariachi band or some small form of entertainment. The bridge over the cenote is pretty and you can generally see fish in the clear water. The walk through the forest lets you see the different animals, iguana, koatimundi and other things. The pool area has the large pool, which is not heated and not used much. There are some ping pong tables (which we used often), another small pool with chairs in it, some outdoor beds which are nice, a bar, a restaurant, hot tub and cold tub (no one used the cold tub) and then the beach. The beach is really beautiful, the sand is nice, the ocean floor is clear and the first time we got in it, we saw fish swimming around us. There are a lot of chairs and we never had a problem finding chairs at the beach, by the pool is a little more difficult but you can figure it out if you try.

There are 6-7 places to eat at the resort. I will write this section as an American, who probably expects more food than I actually need, but everywhere we went had small portions. Whether this is due to European tastes or to save money, I dont know. I do know that if you find something you like, go ahead and ask for more. If there is an entree you liked and you want more of, order again. If you want to try all the appetizers on the menu, order them. If you feel like going to a couple restaurants for different things for dinner, do that. We almost never had a wait anywhere. I have already talked about the breakfast buffet and it is also a dinner buffet at dinner time. The food there is fairly marginal as well. Nothing really to be excited about, but if you want some food right now, you can go in there. Half of the buffet turns into the Italian restaurant. The Bruschetta they bring you was very good but very small. But again, you can ask for more. The gnocchi was good, but small. The rest of the food we had there was really not that great. The mexican restaurant was our favorite. There was a mayan dish that was just excellent and I ordered two of them. They had good desserts and the choices for dipping for your tortilla chips was also good. The steakhouse was something you can miss. It seems geared towards americans for whatever reason, but none of the food was very good. The meat was low quality and not cooked well. The tapas restaurant had the smallest portions of everything. You could order everything on the menu and it would equal a meal. The appetizers are tasty but some things are less than a bite's worth. The chicken was good. There is a lunch buffet by the beach which is decent, but if you get caught there at a rush you could find yourself waiting, or going up to a mostly empty buffet. The bars are all basically the same, the pool bar can get busy but never that bad and everyone is quick to help. Overall, the service was good. There were a couple waiters who seemed to forget about us during the meal but that happens. After the first couple of days our tipping slowed down as it seemed like we werent really getting any sort of special attention or service. Over the course of the 5 day trip we tipped probably $75 at the resort itself and I am sure someone that tipped zero would have received the same service. But it is clear that the people that work there do work hard and for the most part have a very pleasant demeanor.

People have complained about the Italians. There are a good amount of Italians there, and the activity staff there is made up of Italians. They will not try at all to get you involved in the activities, but are you there to do yoga on the beach or dance in the ocean or play bocce ball? Probably not, so who cares? If you want to do that stuff, and very few people do, just go and do it. During the day the Italians usually just lay around and talk to each other. At night, they dress in their European clothes and smoke and go around in somewhat loud groups. Oh well. If you are here for a relaxing couples trip, they are really easy to ignore. They didn't effect our trip at all. What was more annoying were the groups of loud Americans that were taking up the entire hot tub for hours, or shouting as they walked around in a group, and just annoying in general. They were the most annoying part of the trip.

The drinks are in general weak, but you can ask for them strong, or you can just get more. Its free anyway. Just remember to drink water. All the water at the resort was fine. There were no problems with the ice, There are only 3 bottles of water in the room but we left a note the first day asking for more and they gave us 6 bottles everyday.

Checkout was very fast and no problem at all. Our rooms were kept up nicely throughout and the bed was firm but large. There was no problem with towels or anything like that. They actually cleaned the room much more thoroughly than I would have thought. So overall, it was a very nice resort. The food could have been better as well as the drinks, but you can get more of either if you want. We spoke to some people that recommended other resorts and we would probably be more likely to try those before going back here right away but it wasnt unpleasant and if you want something quiet, secluded and for couples, this is a pretty good bet. The environment really is nice with the water and the jungle and some ambient music at times.

Room Tip: Building 4 on the first floor was very quiet, besides some work being done maybe a little too early...
12 Thank stevencbyers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#55 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,974 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!