Tripadvisor
Xpu-Ha
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews other resorts la comedie miramar buffet music bar taco bar premium level only open for breakfast and lunch double decker bus french restaurant growing pains palm trees ocean view premium package adult resort jacuzzi on the balcony few negatives the main lobby bar
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This resort is beautiful outside and inside. The rooms are the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in, the beds were fabulous. However, it's lacking food options and entertainment. I don't want to eat at the buffet everyday for lunch, but that was the only option. They have no option to order food by the pool or beach and sit outside to eat. Only lunch option was buffet. Never had anyone come around and serve us drinks at the pool area or beach area. Used the swim up bar for drinks but took forever to get drinks as they always seemed understaffed.

Entertainment was lacking. There wasn't really any entertainment during the day, and at night, you had to walk to the other resorts for entertainment. We didn't feel like walking forever in the evenings, so we always stayed close to our resort. Some in our group did enjoy the "Mall" area and having a casino and sports bar to go to.

Resort was beautiful but wish the food would have been better and more entertainment.

Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts
BarceloMayaRiviera, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your review and informing us of your experience at Barceló Maya Rivera.

On behalf of all the staff that we make this great team, we offer you a sincere apology for not having fulfilled your expectations. Our goal is to provide each and every one of our guests with exceptional service and unforgettable moments.

I appreciate your comment, as this gives us the opportunity to continue improving day by day. We hope you give us the opportunity to host you on your next vacation.

Best Regards,

Jose Luis Serratos
Subdirector
Barceló Maya Rivera

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Got back from a week at Barcelo Maya Riviera. First the good. The place is beautiful and brand new. It had only been open for 3 weeks when we arrived. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. Dinners in the various a la carte resturants was very good. While some have complained that it was loud I found it to be the exact opposite. By the music bar there was activity and music during the day but nothing that would reasonably be considered loud. At the pool bar, Maria was our waitress and she was fantastic. This place also had more loungers by the pool and beach than I've ever seen at a resort. It was never a challenge to get a nice spot.

Areas they could improve, as a new facility there are some expected growing pains. The first thing we noticed was very poor signage in the facility. Until we got our bearings it was difficult to find anything, be it the restaurants, elevators, etc. Food at the buffet was generally cold and bland. Desserts tasted like they had been made without any sugar. The Mexican themed night on Thursday in the arena was a disappointment. The food wasn't very good.

One thing to note, there is no alcohol served before noon. It was strange not being able to get a mimosa with breakfast.

All things considered, this is a place I would gladly go to again. It's the third resort I've been to in the Riviera Maya region and in spite of the few negatives, it was by far the most enjoyable location.

Room tip: Ocean view rooms are worth it. 5th floor is quiet and has great views.
1  Thank jeremy358
barceloriviera2, Chief Concierge at Barcelo Maya Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear jeremy358,

We greatly appreciate the time you spent to review your recent experience in our hotel, at Barceló Maya Riviera.

Thanks a lot also por your feedback, we have received with attention all your comments that at the same time we consider as opportunities of improving that need corrections immediately.

Please brings us the opportunity to host you again, we will be happy.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I won't get into details about growing pains, the resort definitely has some, but they'll get them worked out in time. Aside from that, the staff work tirelessly to keep the facilities spotless. Constant attention is paid to all areas and it is truly refreshing how clean everything is kept!

We stayed on the 5th floor, room 5725, directly above the lobby bar. We were concerned about that when we first arrived, as I'd seen comments on how noisy the lobby bar was, but aside from a few hoots & hollers from some late night revelers that you could hear on occasion, it really wasn't an issue.

The view from our room was spectacular, and we really enjoyed watching the sun rise in the morning. The only amenity I thought would add value to the room, was a lounger on the balcony. We had 2 chairs and a table, both made of a hard, molded plastic type material, and we took pillows and towels out to sit on when we sat outside in the late afternoon when we felt like some quiet time. A lounger would be perfect for those times! While the outdoor hot tubs on each balcony is a neat feature, we didn't make use of it, and there was no "value" in it for us. (I believe there are lounges on the balcony in the premium rooms, if this is important to you.)

The a la carte restaurants were very good, and the buffet has so many choices, it was very hard to decide what to have! The biggest issue that they really need to find a fix for, is that most of the food on the buffet is lukewarm at best, though there were a variety of items you could have cooked fresh as you wait, (steak, hamburgers, omelettes, pasta) which were hot. The only truly disappointing meal we had, was a Mexican dinner theater they put on one night, which was a shame as they clearly went to a lot of effort to make the evening special.

The only concern I have about the future of this resort as an attractive choice for an upscale adults only hotel, is that it is seemingly trying to identify as both this, and a conference destination for business. I have a feeling in the future, these identities may collide and perhaps spoil the vacations of those who are looking for a romantic getaway. Time will tell!

1  Thank heidivallee

Dear heidivallee,

We appreciate also the form in which one you permit us let us know each small detail that you live at the hotel, because this form we can truly realize about the work that we do every day and how this work is reflect to you in each moment of your stay.

Is magical for us hear that your past remarkable moments here because you must know that is our commitment and main motivation become your vacations in perfect and unforgettable memories.

Thanks a lot also for your feedback, we have received with attention all your comments that at the same time we consider as opportunities of improving that need corrections immediately. We always strive to exceed guests' expectations and your comments will help our teams reaching that goal.

Please brings us the opportunity to host you again, we will be happy.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just returned from 8 days at this new resort. Only been open 1 month, so still working out some issues. We so enjoy Mexico about twice per year, opting for Adults only in the Secrets or Excellence category of resorts. That's our standard, and please know that my review is pretty objective. Not out to reign negativity on any business, but we are pretty seasoned travelers in this category (50s, grown kids). We've done many all inclusives with our kids and in the last few years on our own.

Checked out the Barcelo website in November and found a very good deal for this new adults only resort on the well-established and enormous resort complex at Puerto Aventuras area south of Cancun airport. I'll list the positives and then the few negatives that really stood out for us as show stoppers.

Positives:

We booked an Ocean view Premium level suite in the Premium building. I believe that we were upgraded to one of the Ambassador Suites, but perhaps it is the same level that we booked. VERY IMPRESSED with the room, which really was a suite with roomy living room, super comfortable king bed (like two doubles...), and enormous balcony with hot tub. Beds are amazingly comfortable and the view is fantastic. Very pleased with this level and room choice. Very clean, consistently. Again, I booked early and got the soft opening rate. Thank you Barcelo.

Architecture. One word: stunning. Very aesthetically pleasing, day and evening. Lots of pool loungers the week we were there, but the hotel might have been 25-30% full. When full capacity, it would be tough to find available pool loungers past 8AM.

Beach. Fantastic strip of beach, and the sargassum problem seems to be gone. I was up fairly early on the first day there and the beach workers are out clearing what seaweed had come in, but they certainly aren't having to work at it all day like they were when we were in Puerto Morelos in September 2019. Yes, ocean was really rough last week but can't do anything about that. It did calm down on our last day and we took advantage of the incredible snorkeling at the north end of the complex by the Barcelo Palace Resort, about a 2KM walk from the hotel. Young turtles swimming right up to you. Very much enjoyed that.

Food/Restaurants. Overall very good, but I would not rate as excellent. Buffet breakfast is pretty good. Variety of food is excellent there. Not open for the evening.

Evening Entertainment. Went to two shows. The Broadway show was actually one of the best we've seen in the Caribbean. Very well done and we really liked the live band on stage in the background. Seriously professional musicians. Dancers are professional as were costumes. The other show was the Mexican Diva show. The central singer could certainly sing and dance, but she needed to be backed up, again, by a video. Cheap. The challenge is that the evening shows are held in the convention centre there inside. Yes, it is very well equipped but it is indoors and a convention centre. Large, very unassuming. Also on Thursday night they hold the Mexican fiesta night in the convention centre. The food really was not good and again the entertainment was a large screen video with an awards show of Mexican entertainment. I am in Mexico because I like the food and music, but this is cheap and non-engaging.

Challenges/Dislikes/Showstoppers.

We have three serious challenges with this resort, and yes, I understand that it is a new resort and that it takes likely a year before a resort of this size can get its knots worked out. But, these are pretty serious concerns that I feel will be problems.

1. THE MUSIC. It's just really, really weird. First, in the Premium lounge, which services the entire premium level building rooms, plays non-stop classical music. Now, don't get me wrong, my father was a musician and I was brought up listening to all kinds of classical music. But honestly, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries Opera at 7:45 in the morning is not what one wants to hear over coffee and sticky buns. Or Mozart's Requiem for his father's funeral in 8 movements at lunch. And this was every day, all day. I started to feel bad for the reception and lounge staff. On our check out day waiting for transportation to the airport, we actually moved outside of the lounge due to the music. Sometimes we couldn't even hear what they were saying. The vibe intent might be for sophistication, but it's missing the mark completely. And almost everyone we spoke with (ie other guests) were as dumbfounded as us. It just doesn't work. Maybe some easy jazz? A little Bruno Mars? Sorry, don't get it.

That takes me to the lobby bar. It's idea of entertainment is an enormous big screen over top of the bar. And each day there is another video playing of Mexican entertainers which is great, but it is repetitive. Each night is a different musical documentary: from Michael Jackson "This is It" = MJ rehearsing for a concert, a 1980s Barbra Streisand concert (honestly, most people at this resort under the age of 40 are NOT Barbra Streisand fans or even know who she is), to Mexican diva singers that North Americans aren't familiar with. It's just all over the map. But I get the economics of videos. They're cheap.

And that leads me to the outdoor evenings, just behind the lobby. A beautiful gorgeous space. Funky plastic chairs and tables that change colour every evening. We enjoyed this. But not the music. There is a young DJ that starts at around 9PM. The music is what our kids listen to. OK. And then there is this video of a boobs and butts wet t-shirt in Miami contest on the two big video screens --every night. Really?? I watched a number of couples leave as soon as it was played. I will pull the gender equality card on this one. Most women who can afford to come to this resort are professional women who really don't want to look at this for evening entertainment. Ever. I certainly don't. Even my husband found it offensive. We've already fought that battle.Nor do the gay men who are there find it appealing. They also left. Cmon. An adults only resort should be able to do better than this. Very disappointing. But it's a video. That plays every night. It's cheap.

Restaurants. Overall, we did the enjoy the on-resort restaurants. My problem, and this is really important, is that we were paying for a premium level ocean front suite, but as soon as we checked in, after 12 hours of travel time, the uninterested reception host insisted that we make our restaurant reservations for the week. OK, tried to follow along after being up since 3:30AM. And of course after reading about the hotel restaurants, we wanted to reserve with those only. After all .... we booked with an adults only resort. Right? Nope. We arrived on a Saturday, and there was only one restaurant that we could reserve for a 7:30 time (the Italian which wasn't bad). The rest of the hotel restaurants were already booked for the ENTIRE week, except for 6PM and 9:30PM each night. Unbelievable. Please tell me Barcelo, why I would book Premium again? Folks, I'm not exaggerating. But we were able to reserve at the other restaurants at the 5 other family resorts on the complex. However we booked and paid for an adults only experience. BTW, two of the restaurants we did have to reserve at the Caribe and the Royal resorts on the complex had screaming kids during our 'gourmet' meals. I love kids, but quite frankly, we've already done that. That's not what we paid for or were led to expect.

Pool Bars: This is a huge problem. We tried all three bars. First, no liquor service before noon. The staff will tell you its a new law, but this is not true. There is a new law in Quintana Roo that liquor cannot be sold after 11 pm weeknights and not after 5PM on Sundays. But it is not true that liquor is not available at resorts before noon. We were at Excellence Riviera Maya in September and enjoyed Mimosas as breakfast. Family were at the Valentin Imperial Maya the first week of January and had liquor available 24 hours. And we had liquor available in the Premium lounge before noon every day of our stay. So this inconsistency really makes no sense at the pool bars. Sorry Barcelo, not sure why/what you are trying to do here. We are not alcoholics, but if we can bring a beer down to the pool area from the Premium Lounge or our room before noon and several other guests ask us where we got it from, you have a problem with your service.

Back to the music. During the day, there is next to no music at the pools. There is a jazz bit playing at the far north pool for a while. Then maybe the DG starts some club music in the afternoon. Then nothing. Honestly, it's like this resort has no idea who their audience is in terms of music. Bring your Beats.

I really get that they just opened one month ago. And the staff are working very hard. Thank you Alexander in the Premium Lounge -- you helped make our vacation. Your service is impeccable. And our room maids were excellent. Rooms were excellent. It is not the staff where the problem lies. Seems to be management in my opinion. If you ask the staff to turn down the Valkieres, you will get a definite no.

The third major problem I have with Barcelo is the Dolphin experience at the hotel two doors down. Really???? It's 2020 and dolphin captivity should really be banned. Folks I'm not making this up. Given the state of the environment, I question any business who wants to make profit on the backs of animals. Absolutely Shameful.

For these reasons, we will not be back. Gave you a chance Barcelo. Back to Excellence.

Bottom line: don't waste your money here. For the same price, or better, go to Secrets or Excellence. Higher standard. No animal captivity. Better music/entertainment and no reservations needed at any restaurant.

11  Thank mojitosuelu
BarceloMayaRiviera, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

We thank you for letting us know your observations. Our goal is to work and improve every day to be the popular family resort that has been appreciated by thousand of guests and we appreciate every comment to make our services better.

The management staff would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

We take this as a valuable information from our guests so we can better serve you in the future. We will take all of your suggestions and discuss them in our weekly meeting.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our resort.

Best Regards,

José Luis Serratos
Subdirector
Barceló Maya Riviera

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The new Adults Only hotel on the Barceló has really hit the mark through its ideal location, beach, modern facilities, excellent food and customer service. Despite being a part of a very large corporate group, I still felt the personalized service and attention to detail. I am definitely going to return here again with my family.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts
Barcelomayariviera1, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear RDCroston,

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your recent visit. They help us to understand how our guests experience their stay with us. It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted to hear that your holiday at Barceló Maya Riviera was an enjoyable one.

We continuously strive to deliver high standards and to ensure that all our guests leave with beautiful vacation memories.

We hope to see you at the Hotel again for another wonderful vacations,

Best regards,