“Third time to Tierra Maya”
Review of Hotel Tierra Maya

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Hotel Tierra Maya
Ranked #4 of 4 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at the Tierra Maya over the past few years. We came here exclusively to fly fish and were not disappointed. Ove the coarse of a week we caught many bonefish (nice size), quite a few baby tarpon and some snook. We did hunt for permit, got some shots but did not land any (next time). Anyways, Everisto is a good guide and Tierra Maya is the place to stay. Eduardo does an excellent job providing excellent service, and the food is great. I will be back as soon as I can get some time off. This place is great!

Room Tip: get the upgraded luxury room, well worth it

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Eduardo and staff provide outstanding service. The fishing package which includes local guides is probably the most economical for all bonefish / permit destinations. The guides are excellent and have years and years of experience mapping the niches in Chetumal Bay - compared to a more popular resort in the area that brings in guides from Ascension Bay. The food at the restaurant is abundant and very decent.

Room Tip: The luxury room upgrade is definitely worth it
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We loved the hotel - and Eduardo is a wonderful host. The setting is stunning, the rooms are nice, and the quiet is like something out of a dream. The food definitely caters to the Texans so next time I might venture out to find something a bit lighter, but the quality was good for sure.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank apancake
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just returned from my ninth trip to Xcalak to fish for bonefish, permit, etc. Besides being an outstanding fishery, what keeps me coming back is the lodge. It is a consistent product (excellent) with wonderful food and hosts, Kim and Dave Calkins. Eduardo, the manager, is simply one of the best I have ever met. After nine trips (over eight years) I have visited the other options for lodging and have no interest in staying anywhere else. It is the only first-class fishing destination I have stayed at where I got to order my dinner from a menu - a substantial menu that includes many fresh seafood choices from the local area. And if it is not on the menu and can be reasonably obtained, they will accomodate. Oh yeah, best margaritas anywhere.

Room Tip: They are all good and you don't need a swimming pool - the dock to the reef (a couple hundred ya...
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just finished my third week of fishing there in three years and if was perfect. The hotel and it's staff go our of there way to provide the best experence possible. The food in the resturant was great, fresh sea food every night, and the Margaritas are wonderful. Clean rooms and good beds, which is more than I can say for most places in Mexico. If you are looking for a place off the beaten path to fish, dive, or just relax, this is it!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am way overdue writing this review. I stayed at the Tierra Maya for 4 days during a Yucatan exploration trip in Feb, 2011. The small resort is excellent. My wonderful, spacious second floor room had a first rate view of the beach and sea. The food was delicious - not commercial and very fresh. The friendliness of everyone in Xcalak and the resort was infectious. Overall the he resort is smaller, very friendly, great habitaciones, with a nice beach and turtle grass at the water line.

I booked diving and fishing with local operators. Sorry, I do not remember the names of either the fishing or diving operators. The dives were anywhere from good to excellent. I tested some U/W camera equipment, and proved, once again, that underwater photography takes an intelligence beyond that of a mere college graduate. Water is harder than air, and does things with light that are probably similar to what alcohol does for rational thought - It defracts and filters and renders everything into monochromatic images. None-the-less, I enjoyed the diving very much. The reef health here is a step below Little Cayman's - my standard go-to dive destination. Some stretches of significant coral mortality overgrown with algea, and some stretches of beautiful pristine reef that has a great wow factor, but without the wall of Little Cayman's Bloody Bay. I did find a juvy Spotted Drum and a huge toothy moray and that is good enough for anyone.

I booked one all day fishing trip in my pursuit of landing a Permit. The Permit fishing here is reputed to be very good. My very friendly, Spanish only guide, Burro, put me on lot's of Bonefish, but alas, no Permit. He had a uncanny knack for keeping the fish about 3 feet beyond my casting range, and picking flies that the fish enjoyed playing with, but would seldom eat. Burro would not say anything the few times he saw a bonefish before me. He would just laugh. Once onto this signal, all I had to do was look back to see the direction he was looking when he laughed. I liked Burro. Any guide who signals with a laugh is alright by me.

I will definitely go back to Xcalak and stay at the Tierra Maya again. Great owners, friendly off the beaten path environment, a few good local eateries, and diving and fishing adventure worth the effort to go see.

Room Tip: I liked my second story room for it's awesome view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My 16 year old son and I spent seven nights at Tierra while Bone Fishing in the nearby lagoons. Eduardo, the general manager, was second to none in terms of truly knowing what customer service is all about. The food was fantastic and the staff was always very accomodating and willing to addess your request. The rooms were always clean. I highly recommend the hotel to all, whether if you are snorkeling, scuba diving, bone fishing or just hanging.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank stephen c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
Costa de Cocos
#1 of 2 in Xcalak
Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club
Portofino Beach Resort
Portofino Beach Resort
#18 of 55 in San Pedro

Been to Hotel Tierra Maya? Share your experiences!