“Simply Paradise”
Review of Casa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Casa Paraiso
Ranked #2 of 4 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Simply Paradise”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review for anything but my experiences at Casa Carolina compelled my first ever review!

I recently returned from my third trip to Casa Carolina and I don't often return to the same place twice. The first trip was with my significant other, the second time I brought my parents as well as my aunt and uncle, and this past trip I traveled solo. The only disappointment I have ever had is when I realize it's time to go home (the dreaded end of vacation depression). Simply put Casa Carolina is a special place, in a special part of the Yucatan, and I can't wait for my next trip. Bob and Caroline (the owners) are exceptional hosts and even better people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sydney
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were so glad we found Xcalak. We stayed there as the second stop in our honeymoon (after some time in Tulum) and loved it - it has a population of about 200 (not including dogs) and a very laid back vibe. Casa Carolina is a great platform to enjoy it. The rooms are on the beach 50m from the waterfront, Carolina bakes incredible breakfast muffins (what a great way to start the day) and Bob and Carolina are both warm and discrete as hosts - they somehow managed to give us space but were also there when we had questions. And we certainly didn't mind not having air con or microwaves - in fact we loved that Casa Carolina is off the grid in that sense. A particular highlight for me was diving with Bob, who is an underwater veteran. I learned so much from him even during the short time we had on the boat and underwater. We also borrowed a kayak to snorkel on the reef edge. You can also borrow bikes from Bob and Caroline and ride into town - takes about 15 minutes to get there and you can ride around it in about 10. There are some great little restaurants to try. Sylvia's has amazing lobster - I had two in one sitting and you can sit outside. She's not on tripadvisor and not always open but worth seeking out.

1 Thank captainhaddock77
Fresno, California
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a great stay at Casa Carolina and I honestly can't think of a
single suggestion that would have made it better. We traveled
throughout the Yucatan and the whole trip was beyond
expectation. But without a doubt, Xcalak was our favorite place,
and Casa Carolina was fantastic. The rooms were great, the snorkeling
was fantastic, the view was incomparable, and Bob and Caroline were
great hosts. I hope to make it down that way again in the not too
distant future.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. We like the first floor
1 Thank Frank S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend was always talking about Xcalak and Casa Carolina and how much he loved vacationing there ... what I couldn't understand is why you'd want to go to the same place year after year? Well, now I know ... Casa Carolina is a perfect place in a perfect location.

Unlike Cancun and most of the Riviera Maya, which is so overbuilt it's unbearable, Xcalak is a small, sleepy town. The locals are friendly and there are very few tourists.

From the minute we arrived at Casa Carolina and were greeted by Caroline and Tootsie (their adorable dog) to the day we left (when my boyfriend had to drag me out of the palapa) I was brimming with joy.

The rooms are simple, comfortable and very clean. Each room has a small kitchen, which is where we cooked most of our meals using local ingredients bought from the food trucks, which pass by Casa Carolina every few days. Nothing like fresh pico de gallo with a margarita after a day of diving!

Bob - a master diver extraordinaire - was gracious enough to go diving with us and we had an absolute blast. Luis - local boat captain and diver - was also great and we always looked forward to our excursions with him. Both the diving and snorkeling are fantastic - right off the end of the dock we saw rays, barracudas, needle fish and many others. The water was a consistent 82 degrees and very clear ... truly spectacular.

When we weren't in the water we were enjoying the amazing view of the water from the beach or from our room. Because there are only four rooms plus the owners, it's always very quiet and you have plenty of privacy.

Twice we had dinner at the Leaky Palapa - excellent - and one day we spent an afternoon in town where we enjoyed Lion Fish ceviche at Toby's (it's a must-try dish!).

And now it's my turn to declare that I'll be back ... again and again and again ... it's an absolutely lovely place to spend a week (or two).

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a great view so you can't go wrong - top floor rooms have a bit more priva...
1 Thank Lila24T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I very much enjoyed our stay at Casa Carolina. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. We stayed in the room on the second floor; the view of the beach, dock and the sea was always spectacular. Swimming was good, snorkeling excellent - you can access a few small reefs from the shore if you're a reasonable swimmer. We saw a lot of fish, moray eels, trunk fish and many other sea creatures I have no names for.
We only used the kayaks a couple of times and it was a lot of fun!
We took two boat trips to snorkel and to see manatees in the mangroves - we were lucky! We saw 3 manatees - what a great experience to see these magnificently quiet beings...
If you're NOT into busy resort with night life - this is a perfect place to spend quiet and active (or lazy) vacation.
Reading a book in the hammock on the balcony was one of the highlights for me.
Caroline and Bob were very helpful with their suggestions, recommendations and information.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the top floor rooms for the views and more privacy.
Candler, North Carolina
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I suppose it didn’t hurt that the weather was absolutely perfect the whole time we were there, but from the moment I got my first sight of Casa Carolina until we left, I couldn’t have been happier. I felt privileged to be staying in such a beautiful room, with such an amazing view. I wish I could transplant the bathroom to my own house. ­You’ll see what I mean when you see it! The dock is a real plus. Sitting out at the end of the dock was like having our own private paradise. Boats picked us up for snorkel trips, we didn’t have to lift a finger. We saw magnificent coral on the snorkel trips, and the mangroves are incredibly beautiful. We did see lots of fish on the snorkel trips, but I have to say, we saw more right at the coral head that is front of Casa Carolina. In addition to all sorts of tropical fish, we saw the biggest moray eel I have ever seen, a very cute turtle (we’re told that both of those are permanent residents) and I even saw an octopus eating a conch! Bob and Caroline were great hosts. Really, it couldn’t have been better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I are avid divers and fly fishers and we like to do both when we are on vacation and we like to do it in reasonable comfort. Casa Carolina exceeded all our requirements for an incredible vacation. We would do it again in a heart beat. And, I think we will, very soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mark m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
#10 of 53 in San Pedro
Coco Beach Resort
Coco Beach Resort
#11 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Casa Paraiso? Share your experiences!