“The first time in my life that I REALLY relaxed”
Review of Sin Duda Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Sin Duda Villas
Ranked #1 of 4 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Québec
“The first time in my life that I REALLY relaxed”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Sure, before our vacation at Sin Duda I tought that I knew the feeling of relaxing. But here, at Sin Duda, I was TOTALLY relaxed. I forgot all about my duties, responsabilities, my job, my city life. I would wake up when my body tells me so, make a good coffee, read a good book, play with Pete, Romeo and Moka (Margo and Robert's corgis), photograph the hermit crabs, snorkel hours and hours with my teens, walk on the beach with my wife and look at the stars. It's just THE perfect little paradise for relaxation. Margo and Robert are soooo nice. Always there when we needed them. The Sin Duda Villas are simple, comfortable and very well designed, efficient and eco-friendly. I would go back now!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ChantalandEric

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed March 9, 2009

This is the place if you want incredible service, amazing views of the ocean and lagoon, a beautiful beach and the best snorkeling in the Mexican section of the Mesoamerican barrier reef. We thoroughly enjoyed the beach which is relatively private. We spent most of our time snorkeling, birding and just sipping beers or Margaritas on the beach. The owners are very friendly and amenable. They are very interesting, giving night sky talks and tours of the facility which they designed and built to be completely off the grid with respect to water and electricity. We loved being able to cook our own meals from the supplies the food trucks brought around...buying fish from the locals out of the back of their pick up...it doesn't get any better! The local dive shop is great and there is a restaurant in town. We did not try the restaurant but it comes with very high recommendations! Overall, WE ALL LOVED IT! We will definitely go back and hope you go too! :)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank aschmidt
Alaska
Reviewed March 1, 2009

The villa is magnificent! There is tons of down home charm with patched and mismatched sheets and towels. Robert and Margo are gracious hosts. The corgis are adorable, but yappy. The views from the room and the roof decks are stunning, so we didn't mind some minor inconveniences like no hot water. (If you shower in the afternoon the water is at least tepid.)

The mattress, on the other hand, was intolerable. We decided to drive to Tulum a day early for a deep tissue massage which helped ease the pain. I've been applying tiger balm ever since we left Sin Duda and I hope to recover from that pancake of springs and foam in time for my next vacation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dvcambridge
Newtown CT
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My husband and I are world travelers and have just returned from a wonderful out-at-the-end-of-the-road place in Mexico that I need to write up.

Sin Duda Villas is near the town of Xcalak, ten nautical miles from Belize on the Caribbean Sea.

The coral reef there is pristine, colourful, filled with fish and right off shore from where we stayed. The white sand beaches are almost uninhabited and (except for some washed-up plastic) beautiful. The kayaking and snorkeling were excellent on both the ocean side and in the mangrove lagoon, a short distance behind the two or three buildings that make up Sin Duda Villas.

Robert and Margo Schneider are the owners. Robert, a professional architect, designed the buildings so that all the rooms experience the ocean breeze and the ocean view. Indeed, he designed all the best looking villas in the area of the north beach--lovely to view as we walked along the white sand beach.

Sin Duda Villas is an out-of-the-way place, suited to a particular typeof traveler -- one who likes wilderness, wildlife, fishing, birding, beach combing, no crowds, delicious and genuine food.

For dining, there are two excellent restaurants and others in the village which are okay.

We enjoyed day trips to Bird Island by a local boat man, a bike ride into Xcalak, and our friends drove us to the not-to-be-missed Mayan Museum in Chetamal.

Margo is an excellent communicator who answered our e-mails, gave travel instructions, provided us with Robert's diagrammed maps and help for our day trips. Several of the guests at Sin Duda went in together on trips to Belize and on fishing expeditions. No little children were there.

The worst part of their location was the nine kilometer stretch of approach road, but as we were leaving on 25 January, 2009 the machinery was in place to repair the road.

The good part about the bad road is that wildlife is evident. People sighted, in their head lights of their cars, two different large cats, possibly jaguar, ocelot, jaguarundi or cougar.

To get to Sin Duda, we chose to take the bus, stopping first in Playa del Carmen for a night both going and coming. The ADO buses were plush, inexpensive ($22 per person), on-time and had toilets. The bus depot clean and well organized. We caught the bus to Playa at the airport.

Our friends picked us up in Majahual, 50 kilometers north of Xcalak. We stocked up on food in Majahual at a couple of small markets--and the chickens purchased at the "polleria" of Majahual were fantastic. Our friend, Mary Louise, put them in the oven with a mango sauce.

To supplement our groceries, three fruit and vegetable vendors in trucks passed by Sin Duda regularly. One larger truck carried meats and dairy products. A big plus for us was that Sin Duda's buildings are "green" with solar panels on the roof and a system of rain catch basins that provided hot water for dishes and showers. Fresh drinking water was in our rooms. Compost collected in containers was used for the garden.

The stars in the dark are spectacular. Robert is an expert with his lectures. You could lie on chaises on the roof to gaze in comfort.

4 Thank Enviroartist
Louisville, CO
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I chose to celebrate my 40th birthday with a close friend relaxing on a remote white sand beach and ended up with so much more. The owners of Sin Duda, Margo and Robert, are wonderful people that made me feel at home the moment I stepped in the doorway. The margaritas and making dinner with the other guests were just a few of the highlights. I would highly recommend this place to women of all ages that are willing to travel off the beaten track. Although it is a schlep to get to the house from Cancun airport, it was worth every mile!

• Liked — Margo and Robert
  • Disliked — Driving distance
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank surosenb
Boston
Reviewed January 9, 2009

It was one of our best vacations. The environment is so beautiful and relaxing that it made work feel insignificant and far away. The inn is lovely, clean, eclectic, and well designed by Robert, an architect, who credits the Mayan culture with his inspiration. He also gave us an amazing star gazing lesson, helped us with our daily plans, found our lost luggage, and was generally a great host , a source of information, and fun company. Margo is adorable and fed us quirky travel stories, Margo-ritas, and the most delicious daily granola, from which we are still in withdrawal.

Life there is ideal. You balance your impact on nature with being on vacation. You never feel lazy but you are always relaxed. It is perfect. All of the guests become friends. In fact 2 couples merged and continued to travel in Mexico together after they left. Another of the highlights were the food trucks -- delivering fresh produce, eggs, meats, tortillas, and cheese. Plus Robert kept bringing us Tomales. Although I warned my husband in advance that I would not be cooking on vacation, I actually wanted to cook meals there. Our family played games and read. We went to bed early and got up early. The wind rustles the leaves all night and it sounds like (or maybe it really was) rain. We also ate 2 very delicious and interesting meals at the Leaky Palapa, which is upscale but reasonable, even by Boston standards.

Snorkeling is perfect. After kayaking around far and near, we found the best reef was actually the closest to the Inn. We visited it nearly every day and started to appreciate that different parts of the reef have little neighborhoods of fish that we saw again and again. It was a kick. The color of the water is the most beautiful turquoise. The sand is white.

We did the discovery scuba day at XTC in town. Our instructor was the best of the best -- Benito. Professional, careful, and experienced. A dream intructor for a nervous mother of teens diving for the first time. It was another highlight of the trip.

Sin Duda is not for everybody. It is not the right fit for "pamper me at the resort" travelers. But it is the perfect place for people who love adventure and new places, love the unspoiled sea and empty beaches, but still want civilization and safety. I wish we could return each year (or next week!)

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — a long trek to get there
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BostonTravelmom
Seattle
Reviewed January 11, 2008

We agree it was a wonderful place to visit. Have to mention that we have 2 older children a college age son and a teen daughter who also loved the place as much as we did.

My spouse can't ever sit still and he also had a great time. I was a little worred that he would be bored but there was plenty to do. Margo and Robert were great about helping all of get what we wanted. they helped my husband with snorkeling diving, identifiying fish etc which let the rest of us relax and read on the beach!.

Make sure you buy shrimp if the shrimp truck shows up while you are there. It was the best.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank MariaSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club
Hotel Maya Luna
Hotel Maya Luna
#3 of 23 in Mahahual

Been to Sin Duda Villas? Share your experiences!