“My new Happy Place”
Review of Sin Duda Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Sin Duda Villas
Ranked #1 of 4 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Regina, Canada
“My new Happy Place”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We are a couple that enjoys travelling and are not afraid to try something different, but at the same time we really want to make sure we are safe and secure with a good comfortable bed to sleep in at the end of the day. Although we had some pre-travel jitters about renting a car and driving the distance to Xcalak I am thrilled to say the travel from Cancun airport to Sin Duda Villas was instead a fun drive thanks to the incredibly detailed and helpful directions supplied by Sin Duda’s amazing hostess/owner Margo.

The five nights we spent at Sin Duda Villas last January may have been the five most relaxing days in my life, I have been dreaming and scheming about getting back since I left. This place exceeded my expectations in a big way. There are numerous other reviews here that give great details about the property, the surroundings and the charming hosts Margo and Robert. I can’t really add anything new other than to say the place is every bit a wonderful as people make it sound. We stayed on the ground floor #2. The room and it’s decorating made us feel like we were guests at a friends home. Although I love to travel I usually sleep poorly in a strange bed. Not so at Sin Duda, the bed was wonderful and I slept like a baby every night. We used the shared kitchen and found the experience to be excellent and such a nice change from a large hotel and resort. We enjoyed meeting other guests and never found the ‘sharing’ to be an inconvenience. Because this kitchen is shared with 3 other rooms it has 3 separate French press coffee pots so you never have to worry about being without that oh so important caffine fix in the morning. The coffee and fresh granola made available at breakfast for everyone were as delicious as others have noted. It would seem that the type of folks that are willing to make the journey to Xcalak and it’s magnificent isolation are the friendly outgoing type. We even had other guest share their fresh squeezed orange juice with us every morning. The grocery truck that travels the beach road a few times a week had surprisingly good selection and was another fun experience. We had also bought some fresh local caught lobster in the village of Xcalak and it was very excellent in both taste and value.

Here I will add another shameless plug here for the Leaky Palapa restaurant in the village of Xcalak, awesome awesome food and great atmosphere, an meal or two are an absolute must while your are here.

The snorkeling and coral heads only a few hundred feet from your room and the virtual isolation make you feel like this is your own piece of the ocean. The beauty and tranquility of the sunrises are absolutely intoxicating as are the stars at night. The long walks on the quiet beach with the soothing sounds of waves breaking off on the distant reef will leave you stress free and in love with life and the world around you.

If a variety of restaurants, beach bars, motorized watercrafts, fun nightclubs and shopping are your thing then this is the wrong place for you. This place is really all about peace, quiet, relaxing and awesome Margo-ritas at the end of the day. Margo is a sweetheart and Robert is great at conversation about everything from Ian Tyson to Mayan astronomical history. When you leave you’ll miss them as well. When you arrive they are your hosts, when you leave you'll be saying so long to them as friends and promising to come back for a visit soon.

This type of vacation and it’s off the beaten track location is not for everyone but if you are somewhat adventurous you’ll find yourself sweetly rewarded for the effort and like myself, dreaming and scheming on how to find your way back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This kind of small, genuine, and faraway beach place is not for every traveler. But for someone looking for the the last unspoiled spots in Mexico, and willing to go the extra kilometer, it's well worth it. Peaceful and beautiful accommodations and caretakers who really care. Just outside your room is an amazing expanse of turquoise Caribbean, where in a few minutes you can dip into reefs teeming with beautiful fish. The port of Xcalat, 8 kilometers or so down the beach road, is nothing special, but staying at the offbeat Sin Dudas certainly is. You need to bring your own food supplies, but kitchen etc are nice, but nightly "Margo-ritas" are served. We went with our kids, who are adventurers.

Room Tip: Just ask owners, Margo & Robert
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I loved this place. Getting there by bus from Merida was a bit of an adventure but well worth it. Stock up on groceries in Tulum or take what ever the turnip truck offers on Thursday and Sunday. Nothing else to do but relax and take it easy. I found my bed very comfortable, the common ktichen well stocked with utensils etc. Books everywhere to enjoy if you get tired of beach activity or string up a hammock and take siesta. Glorious grounds, flowers in bloom everywhere including wild orchids dripping from the trees. Oh, I saw someone left a review complaining about hot water, there seemd to be plenty of hot water but who needs it in beautiful weather like this place? For those going by bus, there is a combi/bus/van twice a day from the village of Limones to Xcalak. Once we got to Xcalak the combi driver offered to drive me from the village of Xcalak to Sin Duda Villas for an extra 200 pesos, a big savings over taking a taxi from Limones

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mondochuck
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Rarely have I had the opportunity to experience such elegant simplicity.. Sin Duda was lovingly and knowledgeably crafted to provide just such a peaceful, quiet experience. The backdrop of calm provides a perfect setting for bird-watching, day-dreaming, snorkeling or diving the reef, kayaking, beach-combing and star-gazing.
Three or four times a week one of two trucks pas by down the quiet sand trail bringing fruits, vegetables, meats, cookies. Because of the remoteness I had expected to be in a "make-do" mode but found all I needed to prepare healthy meals, right off the grocery trucks. I stayed at Sin Duda Villas for three weeks and absolutely never ran out of something fabulous to do, see, eat, read...
I had read on their website about the wonderful library of books but still was surprised at the number and quality of books in every single room. I read and read...and read for three weeks! What a treasure of books! I really can't over-emphasize this. When it gets dark and the jungle birds have piped down and there's no more sights to see (other than a sky FULL of brilliantly shining diamonds) the books call...and I regret only that I couldn't read more of them!
There were times in between other guests, like Goldilocks I sampled several different rooms. Each room is unique but they all have one thing in common; the beds. I was amazed to find that every one of them was a Papa Bear bed; big and firm but soft on the top like a feather bed. Every one that I tried was..."just right!" The main problem with the beds is that while you sleep...you can't be reading! And one other thing on the subject of the beds...The Sheets! What a fabulous collection of sheets! From adult/childishly cute (like teddy bears wearing business suits) to elegant (orchids, to match the ones growing all over the jungle garden surrounding the property) I really enjoyed them!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Northwest Territories, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife & I stumbled upon Sin Duda shortly after they opened their doors and have been back several times to visit with Robert & Margo and the affable corgis, relax in the no stress atmosphere and explore the reef just outside the door.
We have snorkeled & dived all over the Caribbean and Sin Duda's ranks right up at the top: there is a really surprising diversity of critters in safe, shallow, easy access water. Rays, turtles, moray eels, puffers are right there waiting for you.
The hotel is pretty & comfy. Heavy concrete construction means you don't hear your neighbours and that is a huge plus for us! I sleep like a stone there.
Sin Duda is not for everyone. There are no uniformed waiters or silly organised shows on the beach but Robert will give a lecture on the stars from the rooftop or engage in friendly discussions about favourite books and authors.
This is the place to relax.
We'll be back. Sin Duda is a favourite spot.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank davethesundog
NT, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Margo and Robert are warm and gracious hosts. (The Margo-Ritas are delicious!) We had a lovely, romantic room with our own balcony overlooking the ocean....very romantic. It was a very comfortable room too, lovely decor and thoughtfully appointed, quiet and peaceful. The snorkelling off the beach out front was the best we had on the Mayan Riviera and we enjoyed paddling around the lake/lagoon at the rear of the property in the kayaks provided. We would definitely like to go back, but would stay longer in a kitchen unit so we could prepare some of our own meals as dining options nearby are limited. If you're looking for utter relaxation far from the crowded resort areas, this is the place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank islanddaisy
Xcalak, Mexico
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Once again I was drawn back to Sin Duda. This was my seventh visit but this time I brought friends. I wanted to share this special place with some special people, who like me, want to get away from their fast paced lives, and just STOP for a minute. Even though its a little further down the road, Sin Duda has great style and a cool rustic elegance. It is a magical relaxing place where you can just "be", with nature right on your doorstep. It is inspiriting to know that Sin Duda exists in total harmony with it's environment. The ocean breezes - relax; the lovely palapas - shade; the cute kitchens - convenient; and at the end of the day, oh the beds - comfy cozy.

The owners, Robert and Margo, were welcoming, generous and knowledgeable. They greeted us like dear old friends. We asked Robert he would mind giving us one of his star gazing tours, and he obliged. M and R were always accessible to answer any questions we might have and they helped arrange a trip to Belize and dinners in town.

We snorkelled from Sin Duda's shores for hours every day. The reefs go on for miles and every day we explored a new area. We saw stingrays, eels, angel fish, lobsters, parrot fish, cowfish, porcupine fish, balloon fish, trunk fish, lizard fish, flounder and so much more. We were delighted when a Loggerhead Sea Turtle came swimming towards us and then followed us along. And the very next morning, we were thrilled to see turtle tracks on Sin Duda's beach leading to a large mound, which we were told was a turtle nest. What an honour! That night, over those fiesty Margo-itas, there was much excitement and celebration over this event.

I can't wait to see what next year's Sin Duda adventure will be!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
#4 of 23 in Mahahual
X'tan Ha Resort
X'tan Ha Resort
#12 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Sin Duda Villas? Share your experiences!