“TEC Diving course at XTC”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of XTC Dive Center

XTC Dive Center
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Xcalak
More attraction details
Owner description: XTC Dive Center is located within the Xcalak Reef National Marine Park, a strictly protected region of the Meso-american Barrier Reef system. The area boasts some of the most breathtaking dive sites on the Yucatan peninsula and offers visitors an opportunity to enjoy the pristine marine environment without the crowds present in the more developed areas of the coast. XTC Dive Center is internationally known for our world-class customer service, top notch equipment and expert guides. We provide a seamless customer experience through careful planning, logistics and proprietary local knowledge. All of our standard trips and courses provide great value!
Crystal River, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“TEC Diving course at XTC”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Regarding my TEC course at XTC. Through all the training that I have done, I don't think I have been part of a better course than the one I experienced with Team XTC. I came in with a tight time frame, and my expectations were far exceeded. First of all, everything was done in a professional manner, and in a beautiful environment that can't be matched. The course itself, from knowledge reviews to training dives, is an intense undertaking. But Ollie and Javier made it happen in a way that was both relaxing and uber-enjoyable. Ollie had the course flowing like sweet wine and he nailed the logistics down like a seasoned veteran. Without him, I don't think the course would have come off in such superb fashion. Javier dropped some serious knowledge on me, and I'm a better diver for it, both recreationally and technically. He is master in his own right, and I consider myself lucky to have studied under him. Also, the gear was top of the line, and no corners were cut. Ever. The rest of the staff, facilities, and the ambiance of XTC only added to the already dynamite experience. I'll be back for my Trimix training, rebreather training, and when they invent some sort of alien underwater liquid breathing apparatus, I will come back for that training too. Oh, and the tee shirt, expensive as it was, is pretty cool.

Leuven, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Absolutely the best diving experience I've had so far!”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Diving at XTC was amazing! They have really nice dice sites, lots and lots of things to see and discover.
I did some fun dives, and took the National Geographic Specialty course, wish was not only very interesting, but also tons of fun to do. Dive instructors are super friendly and make you feel comfortable and relaxed. You know you're in good, safe hands.

Apart from diving, also the on land experience at XTC was superb. They helped me find the right accomodation for me, hooked me up with transportation to and from Xcalak, showed me around, invited me for lunch and took me out on their weekly dinnernight and even a special thanksgiving dinner.

I loved being there, felt really good and enjoyed myself a lot. Absolutely the best diving experience I've had so far!

Mahahual, Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Refresher Dive”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Loved the folks at XTC! I booked a trip to San Pedro Belize to Snorkel, booked a fishing trip and Signed up for a refresher dive. CJ is an awesome instructor. Hated the dock but everything else is terrific

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Robinson Cousteau in Xcalak”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I wanted a dive location in Mexico that was close to Belize and off the beaten track.

After much research I found the little town of Xcalak seemed to be just what I was looking for.

As I am quite a nervous diver, I started emailing the 2 dive centres there using my usual strategy...I bombard them with loads of questions and see if/how they respond! I figure if a dive centre is patient enough to answer all my pedantic questions they will be patient on my dives with them.

XTC came out as the most professional by far. I have to say that not only did Jules, the course director, answer all my questions both professionally and in detail. She answered them immediately.

The dive centre has its own hotel next door called the Flying Cloud. When we arrived we were shown into a room that led onto the beach. The view is gorgeous. It was perfectly relaxing, sweet and personal.

As was the service from all the staff. They not only arranged our dives but spent a lot of time with us, invited us to things, showed us around and really made an effort to make us feel like part of the family. The 2nd night we were there we all had a barbeque together which was wonderful.

The diving is very well planned (although after all my many questions I only ended up doing the one - which was fab) as I was exhausted and just wanted to chill out with my friend who wasn't diving. However, the other guests who went all said that they enjoyed their dives.

Xcalak itself is a beautiful, quiet, quirky, sleepy fishing village with pastel painted wooden shacks, nothing to do but relax on the beach, drink beer and eat fish. It is NOT a resort / party / shopping town but if that's what you are looking for then there is Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. I adored it.

Unless you are driving, Xcalak does take planning to get to as travel services aren't frequent. The hotel is rustic (which we just loved), they just had their electricity hooked up while we were there (we had generators and torches for the night). A vegetable truck comes a couple of times a week and there are no cash points or large supermarkets so you do have to plan everything including money in advance/stock up on luxuries before getting there.

But "downsides" like the planning just make the place feel even more special when you finally get there. We went all over Mexico and Xcalak and the team at XTC was one of my personal highlights. I'm sure I'll be back for more at some stage.

Candice

Candice

Lucedale, Ms
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Left Behind”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We visited while on a cruise, and found it difficult to secure a taxi (considering we were a group of seven) for a reasonable price, ride an hour, do our 4 hr snorkel trip (mostly boat ride) & get back in time to sail out! Not XTC's fault. The staff & crew were all very nice & accomadating. Our snorkel trip was the bird island trip. Looking back, I would skip the trip to the island, since the water was SHALLOW & we had to move VERY slow & this took a long time to get to the island & back to the place we snorkeled just to see birds. The boat kept bottoming out! Our time in the water was actually short, but the water was very choppy and four teenagers had never done anything like this before, so that wasn't such a bad thing. The reef was beautiful. I feel a little more help from the crew for the four first time snorkelers was needed. We pretty much got in the water & they took off leaving me to get everyone's mask on & headed in the right direction. The reef was shallow & we were not guided around it very well, since we were left behind, and my daughter got washed into the reef. She had several cuts & scrapes and there we were seperated from the guide and on our on. I got her back to the boat... where there was no cream or medicine to help the burning from the cuts. I really liked the people and the boat ride was great, but for the cab cost & cost of trip I feel like we should have done something more organized. 4 hr snorkel tour... 45 mins in water with a pretty bad injury & very little guidance. Maybe not the best trip for 1st time snorklers or cruise ship passengers. But if I was staying in Costa Maya & didn't have all the teenagers... I would want to stay here and boat & swim with them for a few days.

1 Thank Latricia21