“Wonderful setting, great food”

El Meson del Marques
Ranked #8 of 151 Restaurants in Valladolid
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2019 via mobile

We ate in this restaurant a few times whilst visiting Valladolid. The location could not be better, opposite a pretty little square and San Gervásio cathedral, the restaurant’s setting is really charming, with a lovely patio surrounded by columns (XVII century building) waiters are very friendly, helpful and well humoured, food is great, we tried local dishes and wonderful freshly squeezed juices, melon being our favourite. A really nice experience, recommend to others.

Date of visit: January 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (1,914)

Reviewed January 19, 2019 via mobile

I chose this for my birthday meal based on TA reviews. We called in at about 7pm - we had visited earlier to ask about reservations, but they do not require a reservation.
The setting is quite pleasant and it was fairly busy when we arrived, with a fountain in the centre of the dining area and a singer providing entertainment.
We were attended to pretty quickly and ordered drinks (Horchata for me and an iced tea for my wife) and I ordered the chicken pibil as my main and my wife went for one of the regional specials.
We were given some nachos while we waited and it wasn't too long before we got the food.
Mine was a bit bland, and the chicken legs had very little meat.
My wife's meal looked nice, with a medley of different food in a hot iron bowl - it would probably have been better as a sharing platter for the two of us.
After being served it then seemed we were forgotten about and we had to attract one of the servers to clear our plates and then again to bring the bill. When we asked for the card machine we had another long (ten minute) wait until we asked again.
The bill was 535 Pesos, which is fairly expensive for Valladolid, but I didn't feel the food or the service lived up to the price tag.

Date of visit: January 2019
Rodrigo E, Director General at El Meson del Marques, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2019

Good day,
Our guest’s reviews are always important, and even more when they point out areas of opportunity in our service or facilities, we have been working to improve this point to ensure the best service from beginning to end. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

The rest is 50 years old. The central courtyard has two large trees. The tables are under cover so you can be outside even during rain squalls. Large menu. We had molcajete for two and it was excellent.

Reviewed January 13, 2019

A very beautiful location on the main town square. Excellent menu with not your typical foods. Very, very excellent preparations and service. We loved Antonio, a charming young waiter, who flambeed our entree tableside. Given the quality of the food, the pricepoint was very reasonable.

Reviewed January 9, 2019 via mobile

The frozen margaritas are next level. Really yummy. Many flavours. But the tamarind was by far my favourite. Also recommend the guacamole made at the table.

2  Thank elmaloglou