“Always have lunch when passing by”

El Meson del Marques
Ranked #3 of 111 Restaurants in Valladolid
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Everytime I pass trough Valladolid I eat lunch here. Food is always good and fast. I love the fact that American Express is accepted. Can't talk about Hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

this is an old location, dating back many hundred of years.
the site has a few rooms and a nice inner court, where the restaurant operates.

There is a swimming pool next court, ask politely and you can go for a dip, nice after the ruins works.

1  Thank FOL-1003
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The restaurant is set in a beautiful colonial courtyard,and the food was exquisite and well-priced:try the Caldo del Marques,a hearty soup which is all you need to eat for lunch! But the hotel,with rooms in the new building around the pool,was disappointing:tiny room,uncomfortable beds with small sheets,and very basic bathroom. Shame because the service is very professional and friendly,and the building is beautiful.It would take very little to make this place the best hotel in Valladolid!

1  Thank JacquesMS
Reviewed July 26, 2013

If you are reading this review and trying to decide which restaurant to go to in Valladolid then think no further please try El Meson del Marques for a true culinary delight!

My boyfriend and I spent a night at the hotel housing the restaurant last week 19th July 2013 and once checked in thought about having dinner and after reading some good reviews on trip advisor for the restaurant decided to go downstairs and give it a try! We weren't disappointed and had a fantastic dinner most probably the best dinner we had our entire trip and we had previously been in Cuba prior to Mexico.

We were greeted by a very friendly waiter and shown to our table, firstly he asked if it was suitable and we were happy and we were, the table was at the side of the courtyard near to the greenery and water fountain. Once sat down he presented us with the menu and said he would be back in a few minutes to take our drink order. I opted for a sangria whilst my other half decided to give a fresh juice a try. The fresh juice menu was extensive, made to order and using fresh, tropical fruits. The juice and sangria were presented beautifully. After the drinks had arrived we made a food order. My boyfriend chose the Carribean chicken - wow wow wow, will explain in a mo! I opted for the traditional Yucatan dish of Valladolid stuffed cheese. Once our food order was made we were presented with some nachos, tomato, onion and coriander along with some hot sauce as an appetiser yum. Shortly after the chef approached our table along with a stove and cooked the Carribean chicken at our table and explained step by step as he did so. The dish consisted of olive oil, chicken, freshly chopped pineapple and coconut along with cream and tequila to flambe and finish. The chicken was served with rice and veg and I had a taste super yummy, infact I very quickly wished I had ordered it too. If you go for dinner I recommend you to try this dish. My dinner arrived and it was equally as nice, presented in a dark broth was cheese, meats, nuts, raisons and the combination of tastes was delicious. We also got a portion of homemade tortillas, they smelt divine. After dinner my boyfriend and I chose to have two margaritas, again wow, the choice of margaritas was extensive but we opted for a mango and tamarind again presented beautifully, quite strong, salty and the taste of fruit was bliss. Along with our drinks we were naughty and decided to have a dessert but due to being so full we could only manage icecream which just slid down, very creamy and very delicious. The margaritas were so tasty we had another!

The next morning we decided to stay at the hotel for breakfast and what a good decision it was. We both chose menu 2 and had endless amounts of orange juice, tea and coffee, homemade sweet breads with butter and papaya jam then huevos rancheros. Equally as good as dinner the night before.

We left Valladolid on the Friday and travelled to Merida and drove back through Valladolid on the Sunday on our way up to Cancun and decided to treat ourselves and stop at El Meson de Marques again for lunch. We both had a fresh juice and el Marques special stuffed chile, again nachos with tomato, onion and coriander along with hot sauce as an appetiser and tortillas on the side.

The service at El Meson de Marques is fantastic. True 5* quality. The waiters and waitresses all locals are so sweet and helpful. They all speak english and speak passionately of the food when you ask what a dish is. I wish we had a Meson de Marques in Scotland. I noticed the restaurant was popular with both tourists and locals alike and at breakfast, lunch and dinner nearly always completely full. The bathrooms were clean also.

If you are in Valladolid then go here, you won't be disappointed and go for the Carribean chicken and try a margarita!

Thanks El Meson de Marques. We hope to come back one day :) Saludos desde Escocia!

1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This restaurant is located in what used to be the courtyard of an old meson, or inn. The atmosphere is nice, especially eating on the patio around the fountain and the grassy central area. The food here is consistently good, especially the chiles rellenos and the huevos rancheros. We stop here every time we're in the area.

1  Thank Chelsea42