“Comfortable oasis outside town”
Review of Casa Quetzal

Casa Quetzal
Ranked #2 of 28 Valladolid B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Comfortable rooms around a peaceful central garden and pool area.
Friendly and good service.
Great place for a couple of nights stay wile visiting Chicen Itza and Ek balaam

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Casa Queztal in September 2011 as a sort of belated anniversary getaway... and we wished we could have stayed longer!!...a beautiful little place with plenty of character and so close to everything, the city center, restaurants, museums, the Zaci cenote (bring your bathing suit!)...
The staff is very,very helpful, very informative and very proud of their unique Mayan history, language and culture. For an adventure traveler like myself who is interested in the Mayans, their people and there language (some of the staff do speak Mayan) I was getting plenty of practice!...In fact the staff told me that each summer students from Duke University travel to Valladolid for a Mayan Language immersion program, and they stay at Casa Quetzal....

Now I know why...I would not want to stay anywhere else!...

Valladolid is a great place from which to explore the regions unique attractions....and at the end of a hot day it sure is nice to sit by the pool surrounded by peace and quiet...

Thank you Casa Quetzal!..!Muchas Gracias Casa Quetzal!..!Jach Dios bo'otick U Casa Quetzal!

PJ and Adriana Adam, Miami Florida

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pjay A
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This place is a hidden gem. Away from the hustle and bustle of the center of the city, this boutique hotel is nestled beside the Convent of San Bernardino de Sienna. The rooms are beautifully decorated with handcrafted items from all over Mexico. It is a quaint hotel, with exceptional service and great attention to detail. Breakfasts are freshly prepared for you and include a healthy course of yogurt, fruit and granola with coffee or tea, as well as the option of having an additional course of freshly made local dishes, which are delicious! The owner takes great pride in the hotel and is meticulous that it is well kept. While the swimming pool is not large, it is refreshing. I was staying there with a group of people, of which most would not use the pool because of the debris from the surrounding garden. I continued my stay there and made it my home for nearly a month and can personally attest to the fact that the pool is maintained regularly. So, fortunately for me, I had almost exclusive use of the pool! The city center is a walk of a few blocks, but if that's more than you can handle, there are plenty of taxis to take you to the center of town. Additionally, the hotel can provide some spa services and treatments. I took advantage of the Maya massage and a pedicure that while not at the same scale as one would expect in a city like Chicago, worked well for me.

Room Tip: I stayed in three different rooms over the course of one month. While my favorite was the room with...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ldelos1
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We had a nice big clean comfortable room. However....
This place is well overpriced for Mexican standards and they don't provide breakfast. The breakfast they offer is also ridiculously overpriced. Go into town for much better cheaper options.
My other gripe with this place is they have a pool but it was so disgusting you could not swim in it. It had not obviously been cleaned for weeks. No excuses really considering how hot it was and we would have loved a swim.
If you come here the location is ideal but try to negotiate the price.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My family only got to enjoy one night in this fantastic little treasure of an inn. Immaculately clean and beautifully furnished. Everyone enjoyed the mayan hammocks hanging in each room, but we all slept in the comfortable beds. Beautiful, lush courtyard, local artwork throughout; we enjoyed their delightful breakfast right on the piazza. The proprietress was a wealth of information about Valladolid's many quaint shops and wonderful restaurants. The Casa is a bit off the beaten path, but only a short (ten minutes) and enjoyable walk to the central attractions around the zocalo. After a week on the Riviera Maya, it felt great to be finally done with "the beach" and finally into "real" Mexico.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Revdoug
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Casa Quetzal for nearly a month and could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. It is impeccably clean, beautifully decorated with hand crafted items from various Mexican regions. I appreciated the fact that it was located a few blocks away from the city center and the accompanying noise in a fairly quiet neighborhood. I loved waking up to the sounds of neighboring roosters and church bells. The owner and staff are friendly and provide excellent personal service. It is refreshing to see how the owner and staff care about the hotel and take such pride in their work with great attention to detail. I did notice the swimming pool was underused, (great for me!) likely due to the daily debris of the beautiful surrounding garden. Having stayed nearly a month, I was witness to the fact that the pool is maintained regularly and enjoyed almost exclusive use of said swimming pool. If you are terribly bothered by mosquitos, the Yucatan Peninsula may not be your ideal vacation spot. As far as breakfast, I was served fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, freshly squeezed orange juice and delicious a la carte items prepared for me by women that know how to make a wonderful breakfast. While there is no room service, the reception staff will happily recommend local options as well as places that deliver. I received a pedicure while there and while it did not have the amenities one might be accustomed to (like a spa chair), it was reasonably priced. I also had the opportunity to receive a Mayan cleansing which was neat. The hotel provides several services such as acupuncture, facial treatments and such, which seem to have quite a local following. My last business trip was in Washington D.C. at a Double Tree and I enjoyed my stay at this hotel considerably more. I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: During my stay, I occupied three different rooms, all of which were lovely. The a/c was powerful an...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ldelos1
Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is a beautiful oasis in the small city of Valladolid. If you are travelling in this part of Mexico, I would highly recommend this charming, beautiful hotel as a base for exploring this region of Mexico.

Beautiful grounds and artwork; very friendly, helpful and accommodating staff, and I had an absolutely terrific room on the upper level with all modern conveniences if I needed them (fan, A/C, TV, internet, and a lovely view of the courtyard)!

Enjoy your stay!