“Like a postcard, Samula cenote is picture perfect”
Review of Cenote Samula

Cenote Samula
Ranked #3 of 38 things to do in Valladolid
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
San Francisco, CA
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 285 helpful votes
“Like a postcard, Samula cenote is picture perfect”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Before coming to Mexico, knowing we would not have much time for some things like cenotes (sadly), I investigated which might be the most worth visiting. I guessed right! At Dzitnup, you have two choices of cenotes and pay $5 US separately depending on which you want to visit -- I knew Samula was very beautiful and representative of the photos that you see of cenotes. Yep, it was gorgeous, and the water was brisk but fine for swimming. There are vendors of course, but just ignore them if you don't want to buy something, and head straight down to Samula and swim and swim; you will not be disappointed. It's HUGE, something which the photos do not catch, and the water is crystal clear and filled with little fish that will lap at your feet if you stay still. It goes deep. When we went, about two hours before it closed, there were only three other tourists there. There were no lights that I've read about (maybe they turn them on only when there are more people around?). The grounds are also well-kept, but do be careful: I saw a coral snake slither across the path as well as a giant yellow millipede.

This was so beautiful. I would love to go back every day. And the price was good. Also, good dressing rooms and plenty of places to buy beverages. A bit commercial looking on the outside, but that doesn't follow you underground.

Visited June 2014

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“More Than I Expected!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My wife & I took a trip to the Yucatan in Oct. 1992. I'd done my rearch, so returning to Valladolid from Chechan Itza I watched for a sign. When we arrived at the site it looked pretty bare while on the surface. But going down the stairs was like going into another world. Once I saw the entire cenote it was breathtaking. It is a grotto with a small opening on top. Water was crystal clear and 72F. Lighting was by an old electrical system back then. Not to be missed!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Imnosaint
Plymouth, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Cenote suprise”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I had searched for the cenote before we went and there are literally hundreds of them in the yucutan! This one was magical though, the catfish, the depth, how the cave roof had collapsed etc was all amazing to see. Go to a cenote if you have the chance

Visited June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
152 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Beautiful Cenote Samula. Must experience in the Yucatan.”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We drove out to Cenote Samula from Valladolid and it took about 15 mins. The actual opening time was 0830hr and not 0800hrs as stated in most guidebooks.. We chose Samula due to the unique opening on the roof of the cenote.

The water was a very clear blue and there were only 4 visitors during the first hour of opening. I'm not a water person, so it still felt a little creepy to swim in a cenote.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank DrJohnWong
Slough, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Magical experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We arrived at this place, only a few other people there, on a hot afternoon. I was very fearful but wanted to just see what this was. The fact it was translated as 'sinkhole' didn't help. The path down didn't encourage confidence but as it opened up underground I felt as if I was in a magical world. The sunlight streaming through a hole in the top dappled the water and it sparkled deep blue and green. I was worried about swimming as I had heard they were very deep, bit in evee cenote there are ropes across to stand on, or hang on to. After I got confident I swam to the middle and back, a bit of a scramble on rocks to get out but well worth it. Some people hired life jackets to feel safer. The second cenote is more open at the top with tree roots spilling into it, again beautiful but my favourite is the first. We visited several others in Mexico but this remained the best for me.

Visited April 2014