“exceeded my expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taberna de los Frailes

Taberna de los Frailes
Ranked #14 of 100 Restaurants in Valladolid
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Calzada de los Frailes y el Convento de San Bernardino de Siena
Description: Renown Gourmet Maya Cuisine. Large wine selection. Tequila and Mezcal. Specialty cocktails. Excellent service in a most unique location and ambiance.
Oakland, California
“exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Tia Micha (beautiful little place) and the clerk recommended we had dinner at "Taverna de los Frailes". We walked from out hotel to the restaurant, about a mile, and when I saw the restaurant (it was about 9:30-10:00pm) it did not seem very appealing, we went inside anyway, I was surprised! The place exceeded my expectations. The food was delicious, and the service was excellent! It was definitely a night to remember! Taverna de los Frailes is definitely a place I recommend if you visit Valladolid.

• Visited September 2013

• Czech first
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Gorgeous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Amazing service and beautiful location. The convent and church next door is a must-see! The place is quiet and has excellent menu offerings, though we did not eat much. A great place for an evening with friends

Visited August 2013
Helsinki, Finland
“Did not meet expectations!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews here and chose this restaurant for our first night in Valladolid and it was also a walking distance away from our hotel. We had high expectations from this based on the good reviews. As an appetizer we had the grilled watermelon and it was nice. A bit strange but surprisingly good. As a main course I had the grilled chicken dish, Pipian de Pollo. It looked good, but disappontedly didn't taste as good. My spouse had the pork dish, Cochinita Pipil, and with that there was the same effect. Both dishes tasted ok, but that's all. Nothing spectacular at all, just ok. The interior was very nice and cozy, so the surroundings were great, just beside the old convent wall. Only the food was lacking something in it. Habanero sauce was spicy, it was good. Mojito was good. Service was also good. But overall it was a bit disapponting since we had expected a lot more from the food. Also a bit pricy compared to the quality (tastes) of the food. And in the end ok is just ok.

Visited July 2013
Columbia
“Take this hotdog soup!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Let me start by saying this may be a biased review. :) After eating hotdog soup at the bazar for two days, my wife finally gave in and allowed us to eat a nice dinner at Taberna. We blew a house payment on food in Tulum and were struggling to recover and be on budget. (Now that's a word you don't want to hear on vacation.)
The restaurant is located near the historic San Bernardino Covenant and the garden location where we were seated offered a nice view of the historic walls of the building. The restaurant specializes in traditional Yucatan culinary delights.
We started our meal with the Valladolid Temptation. This is a grilled watermelon app served with panela cheese. I've never had grilled watermelon but I will be trying this soon at home. Nice light app for a hot summer night.
Next we moved on to the Pechuga Sisal and the Longaniza Sisal. The Pechuga was tender and juicy and the Longaniza was the best I've had. The chipotle sauce was a nice pairing with the sausage.
This was probably the best food we had in Valladolid and it did well against some of the other places we ate along the trip. A must if you are in the area.

• Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California, United States
“Delicious Food, Great location, Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had drinks at the Taberna last night and lunch today. The Taberna food is one of the best meals we have had since arriving in Mexico 3 1/2 weeks ago. The restaurant is beautiful and the servers were very polite and had great suggestions on food. I highly recommend this little gem of a place.

Visited July 2013