“Delicious and authentic (as far as I know :)”

Taberna de los Frailes
Ranked #15 of 111 Restaurants in Valladolid
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Calzada de los Frailes y el Convento de San Bernardino de Siena
Description: Renown Gourmet Maya Cuisine. Large wine selection. Tequila and Mezcal. Specialty cocktails. Excellent service in a most unique location and ambiance.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I went to Chichén Itzá and, on our way back, stopped in Valladolid to see some sights, including the monastary. Taberna de los Frailes is right next to it (which we only realized after driving around town and ending up back there :).

Most of the seating is outdoors under a thatched roof. We came here for lunch - I had an allegedely authentic pork dish, which was the second best thing I had the entire time I was in Mexico (including several gourmet-style meals at the resort we went to later). My wife had a chicken dish that was also quite good. For the price, this was just amazing. Service was great, too. Definitely recommend

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely meal in a beautiful, romantic setting. The regional dishes were delicious and the service was excellent.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having eaten here a few times in the past several weeks I thought I would treat myself to something special - and I did. I opened with a Shrimp Cocktail and closed with a Chicken in Lettuce combination.

Sure my taste buds are conflicting - but each of the tastes were distinct and contributed to the whole experience. The ambiance is quiet as you sit in the shadows of the famous San Bernadino convent next door.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Undoubtedly the culinary highlight of our stay in Valladolid was dinner at this restaurant, overlooking the beautiful ex-convent of San Bernardino de Siena on Calle de los Frailes. The restaurant building blends Mayan and colonial styles, and provides an atmospheric open-air garden setting for diners. It is also home to one of the town's cenotes (limestone sinkholes), and a limited but well thought out wine list including some Mexican options.

We started with a couple of Margaritas, and Nachos Yucatan (£5), crisp corn chips with pureed black beans, topped with crumbled grilled longanisa sausages and Cheddar cheese, and served with jalapenos and chilli sauce. It was a huge plate of deliciously crunchy tacos and creamy flavoursome beans, chorizo-like sausages and melted cheese - utterly divine comfort food.

This was followed by Pipian de Pollo (£8) - roasted chicken breast in a pipian sauce made from pumpkin seeds, tomato and coriander, served with rice and black beans. The pipian sauce was nutty and delicious, but we felt that the chicken was a tad dry.

The Costilla 'Kéek'em (£8) - pork ribs marinated in a Mayan red-spice recado baked in leaves of maculam and aguacatillo (two regional plants), served with black beans and corn chips. The meat was tender and well flavoured, a really delicious dish.

We ordered a bottle of Mexican Chenin Blanc - L. A. Cetto, 2011 from Valle de Guadalupe at £16, which was straightforward, crisp and refreshing. The service at the restaurant was impeccable.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Most expensive meal yet in Mexico but still great value. Ceviche and tuna both beautiful. Great relaxed atmosphere. Cocktails were ok. Great evening.