“Very Good Option in Center of Valladolid”
Review of Hotel Tunich Beh

Hotel Tunich Beh
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I just spent two nights at Hotel Tunich Beh while visiting Chichen Itza. I chose the hotel because it was located near the bus station and in the center of town. It's only a two block walk to the station which suited me. The price was hard to beat. The employees were friendly and the room was comfortable. The bathroom was a bit of a tight squeeze, but not a huge problem. I would stay there again were I to return to Valladolid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love almost everything about this small family-run hotel. The only drawback is that the walls between the bedrooms are not very soundproof.
Spacious rooms, a/c and fan, bathroom where everything works, spotlessly clean, nice pool and hammock area, and a delicious individually prepared breakfast make it a steal for a central location. It's much quieter than any of the other centrally located hotels I've stayed in in Valladolid.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had trouble the first night when the manager realized he had not noted our reservation and they were full. He located lodging for us immediately, sent us by cab (paid for) and then advised us that if we wanted to stay the following night, they could accomodate us and we did. We liked the room, bed and it was quiet. Breakfast & coffee were ample, and we would stay there again. The room was to the back of their property. Valladolid was a very nice city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Valladolid is a beautiful little colonial town halfway between Tulum and Chichen Itza. The most remarkable part is calle 41-A connecting the centre to iglesia San Bernardino de Siena: here you will find a brand new colourful hotel on different levels and ample spaces partly to be completed. Our very quiet room (number 7, far from the swimming pool) is huge, with comfortable superlarge bed, severe colonial furniture, very modern and efficient bathroom. American breakfast is served in a common area (corn flakes, ham and cheese omelette, fresh orange juice, yoghurt, bread butter and jam). The double is priced MP700! Ado terminal is two blocks distance. Some improvements are needed in the rooms: old tv set, miserable lighting, one single chair, one single small table; and outside: the different areas have to be better characterized. But all that will come with time and experience: come on, Rafael, you are on the right way!

Room Tip: All rooms have fan/ac, and are in a secluded part of the hotel, far from the calle. Number 7 is a l...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

beautiful small hotel with lots of colonial character. nice clean pool and hammocks in one courtyard and tables where you have breakfast out in another. big clean rooms. very central location yet peaceful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel and I enjoyed it very much. I shall get the quibble out of the way first. I always specify quiet room when I book.I was tired after travelling on the first day and really looking forward to spending the day by the pool outside my room. As soon as I lay down the noise started. And continued until 8 pm that night. There were builders in the room next door knocking hole in the wall. I was driven out by the noise. By the evening I had resorted to earplugs with headphones over the top and loud music to drown out the noise of the banging. I probably could have asked to change rooms and would have if it had continued the second day - or simply left, but the banging was so loud I think I would have heard it everywhere. The next day there was some building noise but light and tolerable. So my advice would be to ask if they are planning on building works during your stay.

Ok quibble over.. The hotel was lovely. At first I thought it was a colonial mansion with patio and cloisters and rooms set about the central courtyard ,where was a swimming pool sun beds hammocks and swings .It turns out It is quite new only 30 years old. They have done a very good job. My room was big with an enormous bed and good furniture. It seems austere and rather bare, despite the vivid colours think it is because there were no pictures on the walls. It was exceptionally clean . And every day my towels were folded into magnificent sculptures by the cleaner. Such a pleasure! the first day I got elephants to facing each other on my bed, and when I went into the bathroom the flannels were folded to make a baby elephant The next day I had swans and perhaps cygnets or doves – what ever they were, they were enchanting!

I enjoyed breakfast which was laid out in the cloistered area. Plenty to eat toast, cereals, granola, eggs, yoghurt and juices and a lovely view of the patio garden. A very pleasurable way to start the day. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

There were no mosquitoes, which is little short of a miracle, because I have been plagued by them everywhere else. I was thrilled at the location, so central and with the ADO bus station only a couple of blocks away.

Apart from the building noise which I hope was just a one off and won't happen to you, I would really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if they are planning any building work during your stay!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This friendly little boutique hotel is a gem in a sea of average-ness.
We chose this hotel because of its authentic Spanish influenced architecture, proximity to the main plaza (1 block) and the owner / manager always responded quickly to our email queries.
Checking in was a breeze, where we were told that reviews were appreciated, and that the hotel would do what they could to make our stay comfortable.
We paid 700 pesos for a room for one night, and were shown around. Hammocks hung almost everywhere, a generous pool, separate breakfast area, and motorcycle parking inside the compound (must be noted, as I am a rider myself, and I have found it very hard to get secure bike parking at some places I have stayed). Although not a rider on this trip, car parking was off street and secure. Parking is scarce close to the plaza so this is a real bonus.
The room was very authentic indeed. Separate bathroom / toilet and washroom, and with 2 double beds in the main room. Lots of storage, a tv, cold air conditioning, ceiling fan, and wifi to the room (another bonus as most hotels we have found have had wifi only in the lobby).
The double beds were on the firm side, but it is just as well that's how we like it!
Breakfast was a help yourself affair, nothing wrong with that at all. Toast, 3 types of muesli, yoghurt, fresh fruit and coffee, just perfect.
The only downside to this place, is that we stayed on a Friday night. Now I'm not sure if this happens every night, but the noise outside was just unbelievable. Right through to after 3am! Cars with loudspeakers on them broadcasting their message (I imagine this was to drum up business for a local nightclub), music blaring from every street corner around us, and the subsequent drunk and shouting customers who were out on the street. The noise was too much to sleep without earplugs (my wife sleeps this way, not me though, unfortunately). This really was the only downside to this hotel, and as I mentioned, I can only vouch for Friday nights, maybe it was an anomaly, maybe it happens every Friday night, I don't know. Best to check with the manager before you book, because I can assure you, if this happens every Friday night, you will not sleep through it.
As long as there is no night time festivities, I would rate this hotel well. Clean, tidy, and well maintained, exceptional service and value, good amenities, and only a block from the main plaza all add up to a truly great place to stay, just make sure you don't stay on a Friday night...

Room Tip: Check for expected evening noise before you book...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple