“Relax in solitude while eating amazing traditional Mexican food!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

and 1 more site!
Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 21 Mahahual B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“Relax in solitude while eating amazing traditional Mexican food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

If you are looking for a place to stay where you can get away from the city, crowds, and technology, just relax in peace and quiet, while enjoying great food and swimming/snorkeling, you have found your place. If you are looking for nightlife, shopping, and restaurants, better stay in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, or plan to stay here for just a few days during your stay.

I stayed here for my entire stay in Mexico (6 days) during May to see my sister get married here on the beach. (My sister and her wedding party filled up all of the rooms.)

From a wedding perspective, it's a picture perfect place to get married and one of the owners, Marcia, is really helpful with planning. The only drawback we experienced was windiness, which made it hard to hear the ceremony, and messed up our carefully styled hair. I think I remember someone saying the wind was unusual though, so you would probably not have a problem with the wind.

From a regular guest perspective, when you are there you have the feeling of being shipwrecked on a paradise island. The rooms are gorgeous and traditional in appearance. The entire place was built by one of the owners, Kim (husband of other owner, Marcia.) Little pathways wind around the place, edged by seashells and tropical plants. There are beautiful views of the beach from every room, and every room has a patio and a hammock (reading or cuddling in the hammock is one of the best activities here, in my opinion). The beach is as warm as a bath tub and I just stood in it for about half an hour. It was wonderful. Snorkeling is extremely close by. The website is an amazing reference for your entire stay in Mexico. I spent a couple hours reviewing all of the information on the website and I think I had a much better time in Mexico because of it.

Although what I have described so far is wonderful, there are two major reasons why you should consider staying here:
1. Marcia and Kim are amazing owners. They really bend over backwards for their guests. As a vegan, I am used to skipping dessert while everyone else digs in or just eating the side dishes at dinner. Here, I had special meals made for me and always had dessert! At my sister's wedding, Marcia made me my own vegan cake to eat with everyone else. It was truly amazing. Also, Marcia and I emailed back and forth quite a bit before my trip out there. I like to be prepared so I had lots of questions and she always had a quick reply and took the time to answer me fully. She also prepared and guided us on a trip through the nearby Sian Ka'an. You can't get this sort of personal attention staying at a place that has more rooms. The other major reason you should consider staying here is the food!!! The food is some of the best I have ever had, no exaggeration. It's traditional and exceptional. It's not rich or fattening, just incredibly flavorful. I felt full after every meal, but not sick and stuffed, and I didn't gain weight by the end of the stay.

The only minor drawbacks here are the location (4.5 hour drive from Cancun and about a 2 hour drive minimum to nearby sights) and the fact that the beach is a little difficult to walk on, as it isn't very flat and is covered with a lot of stuff from the ocean and also garbage. The beach area in front of the hotel is perfect though, as they clean it. Also, there are neighbors here, which I wasn't aware of when looking through the website. So you aren't out there completely alone. But it is still very peaceful and quiet.

My suggestion to someone considering staying here would be to stay here as well as at other hotels during your stay in Mexico. Driving 4.5 hours from the airport after a long flight was really grueling, but if you stayed at a couple spots on the drive down and broke it up over a couple of days, you wouldn't notice the distance so much. Also, because the hotel is such a long drive from any nearby sights or restaurants, it is a good idea to stay at other places during your stay in Mexico as well as here to make sure you see lots of sights along the way and don't have to drive 2+ hours every day (each way) to get to them from this hotel. However, it is completely worth it to stay here because the rest and rejuvenation you will get is incredible. You can really unwind when there isn't technology, shops, or nightlife to distract you. (Although it should be noted that you can access the internet, and they have some DVD;s you can borrow, so the technology is there if you have to have it (which you don't). :)

• Stayed May 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

If you're looking for an unspoiled, yet-to-be discovered paradise, look no further than Mayan Beach Garden. There aren't really enough superlatives to describe staying in this exquisite gem of a hotel. Imagine large, airy and prettily decorated casitas right on an endless, pristine beach that you'll share with only a handful of people, a lot of wonderful seabirds and the occasional sea turtle. Imagine every meal imaginatively and delectably based on Mayan recipes (no nasty Tex-Mex here) all with fresh, local ingredients. Imagine snorkeling right in front of the hotel or off a nearby ship wreck, collecting shells during long romantic walks on the beach or just hanging out in a hammock with a good book. Imagine sharing the day's adventures with your fellow guests each evening over dinner hosted by either Kim or Marcia, the wonderful, thoughtful owners of MBG. It is worth the effort to travel far beyond the mass-tourism that exists along the Mayan Riviera to reach what I'm sure Milton would have instantly recognized as a "Paradise Regained".

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fspicks
costama, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, June 16, 2010
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments - I just realized that I could respond directly and wanted to do so. Your words are so kind and I love the photos you posted. If there is anything we could do to make Mayan Beach Garden Better, we would love your comments and hope to see you back here again soon! Have a wonderful summer!
Glacier Park, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

Upon our arrival we were very warmly greeted with offers of dinner & drinks. We opted for a delay in order to dive into the surf that was accompanied by a full moon. It felt like heaven after the long hot drive. Our entire 4 days we received the very best in service. My gluten-free diet was catered to. Marcia took me to her favorite snorkeling spot & we spent several hours exploring the reef. The gardens are wonderful. The staff is wonderful.

Marcia also took the time to recommend a day of activity for us. I am hoping to return soon.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MontanaSeaKayaker
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

The beauty and comfort of our rooms pleased all 8 of us ~ as did the high quality of the delicious meals. Marcia and her husband Kim are warm and generous hosts, providing in-depth and entertaining information about this land (and sea) they love. Our three days in this exquisite setting passed too quickly and we're looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank isoscelesNM
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

We've just returned from our third trip to MGB in five years. El Placer, the official location of the hotel is 30 or so kilometers north of Majahual. It is the middle of nowhere, is the anti-Cancun and Playa del Carmen, and is the place to go if you want to completely relax, get away from crowds, and have a beach to yourself.

The beds are comfortable, the rooms and cabanas are spacious, the water is hot, and the food is great (be sure to take the meal plan as there are no other restaurants close by). Marcia (the owner) goes out of her way to accommodate food issues (my partner is allergic to crustaceans and gluten) and during the family style dinner we've met and had conversations with many interesting people from all over the world. My seventeen year old daughter says that she can't think of a better place to spend spring break -- she claimed her hammock and happily did her homework reading of James Joyce and Hamlet.

The hotel is a long way from Cancun (four hours drive) but we've used it as our jumping off point for exploring the area in southern Quintana Roo and the Mayan ruins in Campeche (be sure to check out Becan)

If you want spa, entertainment (like TV, movies, live performance) and crowds, stay closer to Cancun. If you want peace and quiet -- a hammock from which to read a good book, a lovely deserted beach, snorkeling and sea kayaking, then consider the MGB.

2 Thank smynyc
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

After much research we chose 1 week of our 2 week holiday in Mexico here. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and loved every minute of our stay! Marcia and Kim (her husband) were the most gracious and helpful hosts. If you are looking for INCREDIBLE FOOD and a RELAXING INTIMATE ATMOSPHERE with a private beach setting with fabulous snorkeling right out front - then I think you have found it with Mayan Beach Garden!
My husband was also able to get his Divers Open Water certification in Mahahual while we were here, which was an amazing experience for him. Although the trip into town was about 30 klm, we wouldn't have traded the location for anything. Thanks again to all and the wonderful staff!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dsaitch
costama, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
I know I am incredibly late in responding to this, but it is taking a while to respond to everyone. I loved your review, and I'm sorry we are located far away too, but if we were closer to Mahahual, we would have to deal with the crowds. I'm glad you chose the road less traveled and love your pictures!
Oklahoma, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

Our trip for four days to Mayan Beach Garden was great- it is located twenty kms north of out-of-the-way Mahahual (which is mostly a cruise ship ghetto) on a beautiful, sparsely populated 3 mile long beach. Snorkling is good right off the beach in front of the hotel, but is even better if one walks ten minutes up the beach. The snorkling there is great for kids who may be less than confident in that the very unspoiled reef is in water that is only three to six feet deep.
The owner/hosts of the hotel, Marcia and Kim are very congenial and helpful. Kim is very interested in Mayan sites and he is a good resource for which ones to visit and is full of good advice and interesting stories.
This is a small hotel, so expect friendly and informal service. The food is good, but generally unless you make a special request (there is a menu), everyone eats the special of the day for lunch and dinner. Everything we had was delicious. We enjoyed chatting and eating with out fellow guests and the owners. Be sure to take a book! This is a place to enjoy the outdoors and relax.

2 Thank kfr