If you are looking for a place to stay where you can get away from the city, crowds, and technology, just relax in peace and quiet, while enjoying great food and swimming/snorkeling, you have found your place. If you are looking for nightlife, shopping, and restaurants, better stay in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, or plan to stay here for just a few days during your stay.
I stayed here for my entire stay in Mexico (6 days) during May to see my sister get married here on the beach. (My sister and her wedding party filled up all of the rooms.)
From a wedding perspective, it's a picture perfect place to get married and one of the owners, Marcia, is really helpful with planning. The only drawback we experienced was windiness, which made it hard to hear the ceremony, and messed up our carefully styled hair. I think I remember someone saying the wind was unusual though, so you would probably not have a problem with the wind.
From a regular guest perspective, when you are there you have the feeling of being shipwrecked on a paradise island. The rooms are gorgeous and traditional in appearance. The entire place was built by one of the owners, Kim (husband of other owner, Marcia.) Little pathways wind around the place, edged by seashells and tropical plants. There are beautiful views of the beach from every room, and every room has a patio and a hammock (reading or cuddling in the hammock is one of the best activities here, in my opinion). The beach is as warm as a bath tub and I just stood in it for about half an hour. It was wonderful. Snorkeling is extremely close by. The website is an amazing reference for your entire stay in Mexico. I spent a couple hours reviewing all of the information on the website and I think I had a much better time in Mexico because of it.
Although what I have described so far is wonderful, there are two major reasons why you should consider staying here:
1. Marcia and Kim are amazing owners. They really bend over backwards for their guests. As a vegan, I am used to skipping dessert while everyone else digs in or just eating the side dishes at dinner. Here, I had special meals made for me and always had dessert! At my sister's wedding, Marcia made me my own vegan cake to eat with everyone else. It was truly amazing. Also, Marcia and I emailed back and forth quite a bit before my trip out there. I like to be prepared so I had lots of questions and she always had a quick reply and took the time to answer me fully. She also prepared and guided us on a trip through the nearby Sian Ka'an. You can't get this sort of personal attention staying at a place that has more rooms. The other major reason you should consider staying here is the food!!! The food is some of the best I have ever had, no exaggeration. It's traditional and exceptional. It's not rich or fattening, just incredibly flavorful. I felt full after every meal, but not sick and stuffed, and I didn't gain weight by the end of the stay.
The only minor drawbacks here are the location (4.5 hour drive from Cancun and about a 2 hour drive minimum to nearby sights) and the fact that the beach is a little difficult to walk on, as it isn't very flat and is covered with a lot of stuff from the ocean and also garbage. The beach area in front of the hotel is perfect though, as they clean it. Also, there are neighbors here, which I wasn't aware of when looking through the website. So you aren't out there completely alone. But it is still very peaceful and quiet.
My suggestion to someone considering staying here would be to stay here as well as at other hotels during your stay in Mexico. Driving 4.5 hours from the airport after a long flight was really grueling, but if you stayed at a couple spots on the drive down and broke it up over a couple of days, you wouldn't notice the distance so much. Also, because the hotel is such a long drive from any nearby sights or restaurants, it is a good idea to stay at other places during your stay in Mexico as well as here to make sure you see lots of sights along the way and don't have to drive 2+ hours every day (each way) to get to them from this hotel. However, it is completely worth it to stay here because the rest and rejuvenation you will get is incredible. You can really unwind when there isn't technology, shops, or nightlife to distract you. (Although it should be noted that you can access the internet, and they have some DVD;s you can borrow, so the technology is there if you have to have it (which you don't). :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secluded off the grid solar powered beach front Inn, nestled on sandy white beach on the Mexican Caribbean. Walk for miles in either direction, swim or snorkel from shore. This is the closest Hotel to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere- maps and independent traveler's guidance are available. King sized beds, fans and large bathrooms in each room. Hot Breakfast included. To protect the tranquility and quiet of the hotel, only children over the age of 12 are allowed during the months of January, February, March and April. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Mayan Beach Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Beach Garden Hotel Mahahual
- Mayan Beach Garden Mahahual, Mexico - Costa Maya