We've just returned from our third trip to MGB in five years. El Placer, the official location of the hotel is 30 or so kilometers north of Majahual. It is the middle of nowhere, is the anti-Cancun and Playa del Carmen, and is the place to go if you want to completely relax, get away from crowds, and have a beach to yourself.
The beds are comfortable, the rooms and cabanas are spacious, the water is hot, and the food is great (be sure to take the meal plan as there are no other restaurants close by). Marcia (the owner) goes out of her way to accommodate food issues (my partner is allergic to crustaceans and gluten) and during the family style dinner we've met and had conversations with many interesting people from all over the world. My seventeen year old daughter says that she can't think of a better place to spend spring break -- she claimed her hammock and happily did her homework reading of James Joyce and Hamlet.
The hotel is a long way from Cancun (four hours drive) but we've used it as our jumping off point for exploring the area in southern Quintana Roo and the Mayan ruins in Campeche (be sure to check out Becan)
If you want spa, entertainment (like TV, movies, live performance) and crowds, stay closer to Cancun. If you want peace and quiet -- a hammock from which to read a good book, a lovely deserted beach, snorkeling and sea kayaking, then consider the MGB.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secluded off the grid solar powered beach front Inn, nestled on sandy white beach on the Mexican Caribbean. Walk for miles in either direction, swim or snorkel from shore. This is the closest Hotel to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere- maps and independent traveler's guidance are available. King sized beds, fans and large bathrooms in each room. Hot Breakfast included. To protect the tranquility and quiet of the hotel, only children over the age of 12 are allowed during the months of January, February, March and April. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Mayan Beach Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Beach Garden Hotel Mahahual
- Mayan Beach Garden Mahahual, Mexico - Costa Maya