“In the wilderness”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2009

January 2009. Stopped in without a reservation and got lucky. It's 20 km north of Mahahual, then 4 km east and 3 km south on the new road - not the beach road. Kim was a great host as was Marcia. Food and service were excellent. Facilities good and adequate. Family style dinners were exceptional. No AC but ceiling fans. Loved the family cats - Mooster and Moolaw.
Did not like the fumigation with pesticides but did not get bitten by bugs. Took a day trip to Punta Herrar 60 km north. Interesting but wouldn't do it twice. Military presence is notable looking for drugs. Not in the least disappointed in this hotel but Mahahual is not much of anything.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tsquared70

Reviewed November 4, 2008

we were tired and not too happy about what we had seen as hotels in majahual (partly because we were still in pre-season so hotels were closed, partly because the mess hurricane dean created has not really been cleared yet), so we took our chance to head up north, just following a sign indicating the way to the mayan beach garden...
and found a true gem: located directly at the beach, right in the middle of nowhere, the hotel offers an excellent mix for people who are seeking a place to chill and relax. rooms are spacious and comfy, the hosts kim and marcia are very nice people willing to share their home, their stories and the surroundings (excellent snorkling adventures!) with their guests. food is great from breakfast to dinner. we had two great days and were sad we had to leave!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knecker
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Spent seven days. Cabana was great. Off the beaten path but very relaxing with great food. Area has recovered from the hurricane. Be prepared to drive some distance if you plan any visits to local sites. Hosts are wonderful. Be sure and visit Mayan Beach Garden web site for information. Will return again. trazz

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trasberry
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed at the MBG for one night in March having business to attend to in Chetumal. This is an amazing property!!! We stayed in a castita right on the ocean! The castita had a small kitchen , private shower,1 king size bed and 2 twin bed in another room.It is an open concept area with windows on both sides making it open and airy. The owners are very accomodating and genuine !! Although you are quite secluded and away from the masses it is all very civilized! The place is immaculate, the service excellent and the food is divine, dont forget to bring a good book and snorkle equipment!!!! We would go back, but next time we would stay much longer!!!!! Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank vexated
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Mayan Beach Garden is a lovely, secluded and cozy place to visit. My boyfriend and I stayed there for about a week in the beginning of January. We were very happy with our experience. The owners (Marcia and Kim) were great---telling us about the local attractions, taking us snorkeling out to the reef and checking in periodically to make sure that our stay was pleasant, without being at all overbearing or invasive of our privacy. It honestly feels as if you're staying with friends at their beautiful Mexican hacienda!

We loved the clear ocean water, the sound of the waves crashing while we slept, the constant sea breeze through our open windows (we wouldn't have imagined turning on the A/C, we were always perfectly comfortable), the secluded and small scale of MBG, and the blanket of stars each night from being so far away from the lights of any city. The food was fabulous and the menu was creative. It was so nice to have lunches packed for us while we ventured off to the Mayan ruins and beyond. We really liked the family-style dining (which is mostly only during dinner). The other guests were a pleasure to meet and chat with. I took a cooking class one day, which was tons of fun! I learned how to make authentic dishes while Marcia translated. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes to cook!

I should mention a few things possible deterants/cautions for travelers...MBG is incredibly secluded and it's an exhausting trip to make in one day from Cancun (especially if you're flying somewhere else in the same day). It's a better idea to split the trip up between two days each way and take your time.There are so many wonderful things to see in between, as well as possible delays on the road. We stayed just outside of Tulum our last night, which was perfect. If you're in that area, make sure to check out the cenotes just past Coba---they were absolutely amazing.

Definitely beware of the gas station attendants completely ripping you off. We really wished that we had known beforehand, because it apparently occurs constantly when filling up on gas. Make sure that you get out of the vehicle and watch them as they start the pump with all ZERO'S. These gas pumps do not automatically start at zero, so if you're not paying attention, the attendants will start pumping your gas and adding the price to the amount that previous vehicles have paid. We ended up paying $80 to fill up our Jeep.

Also, there is still tons of devastation from the hurricane, including damage to the coral reef (which is really a very short swim from the beach). The clean-up effort is going strong, though at first it can be a bit shocking, so just be prepared. There is also tons of trash on the beach, which is a regular thing, hurrican or not, and can be really depressing to see. However, they do a great job of keeping the MBG beaches very clean. Overall, it was a great experience and unlike any other Mexican vacation I've been on. If you're up for an adventure with great rewards, MBG is a great pick!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AJWBoulder_CO
Reviewed February 9, 2008

We just returned from a two week stay at the Mayan Beach Garden and loved every minute. This small resort was badly damaged by Hurricane Dean but the owners, Marcia and Kim are rebuilding with the determination and spunk of true pioneers. They lost three cabanas but the the remaining three are totally rebuilt and extremely comfortable and clean. Deluxe accomodation on a remote beach with lots of great destinations to explore. This is a true frontier a long ways from the hectic tourist trappings of many other destinations in Mexico. You are treated as their special guests. We loved the meal plan and especially enjoyed meeting other travellers at dinner. It is a wonderful social time to get together and exchange stories. We made many new friends and will always treasure the relationships formed. They would pack us a wonderful picnic lunch for our forays to the Sian Ka'an and Mayan ruins. We snorkeled almost everyday, beachcombed, explored, saw lots of wildlife, and birds. The towns of Mahahual, Xcalak, Bacalar, and Chetumal are close enough for daytrips and very interesting to visit. Beware of the local gas station where they have a million ways to overcharge you for your gas. Stay guarded and don't tell anybody your business. Keep your cash and documents close and never leave them unattended. Email yourself a copy of your passport and credit cards so if anything happens you can easily cancel everything. We hope to return and give it a hearty snorkels up!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bestyoucando
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Mayan Beach Garden was an absolute delight and joy! I arrived, (after booking my stay on-line), after dark. I was warmly welcomed! I could hear the ocean waves, smell the salt in the air and feel the warm breeze on my face. I couldn't wait until daylight to see it! I had room service in my cabana and the food was fantastic (see photo)! I picked MBG simply because it was near Mahahual and I wanted to visit there. Little did I know MBG was a sparkling jewel in the jungle on the edge of the sea! My cabana was great because of the things that it didn't have, no AC, no phone, no TV- I did not miss any of these things! I fell asleep in my comfy king size bed listening to the waves. I spent my days beach combing and relaxing by the sea. I found a new hobby, collecting sea-beans! The owners of MBG are wonderful, warm folks who are very knowledgable about the area, the plants, the birds and the ways of the Mexican people and their society. Very good dinner company in the community dining area! The food was absolutely delicious, I mean fabulous......to die for! (I was asked prior to my visit what foods I liked and didn't like) I was very pleased! Next to the dining area is their personal library that they graciously share with lots of books about everything surrounding you. The service was great, as all I had to do was to ask for what I needed. The garden part of the Mayan Beach Garden was beautiful and a joy just to walk through, palm trees with coconuts, conch shells lying around the bottom of the trees, flowers, lovely white sand - just beautiful!
Needless to say, I highly recommend Mayan Beach Garden, it was a wonderful experience I will always remember. I will visit there again, and again. If you are lucky enough to visit there, tell Marcia and Kim and their crew, Denise says "Hello"!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo