“gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 21 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Zuerich
“gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

we were tired and not too happy about what we had seen as hotels in majahual (partly because we were still in pre-season so hotels were closed, partly because the mess hurricane dean created has not really been cleared yet), so we took our chance to head up north, just following a sign indicating the way to the mayan beach garden...
and found a true gem: located directly at the beach, right in the middle of nowhere, the hotel offers an excellent mix for people who are seeking a place to chill and relax. rooms are spacious and comfy, the hosts kim and marcia are very nice people willing to share their home, their stories and the surroundings (excellent snorkling adventures!) with their guests. food is great from breakfast to dinner. we had two great days and were sad we had to leave!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knecker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

Spent seven days. Cabana was great. Off the beaten path but very relaxing with great food. Area has recovered from the hurricane. Be prepared to drive some distance if you plan any visits to local sites. Hosts are wonderful. Be sure and visit Mayan Beach Garden web site for information. Will return again. trazz

• Liked — beach front rooms and surf
  • Disliked — no internet access unless you bring your computer
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank trasberry
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

We stayed at the MBG for one night in March having business to attend to in Chetumal. This is an amazing property!!! We stayed in a castita right on the ocean! The castita had a small kitchen , private shower,1 king size bed and 2 twin bed in another room.It is an open concept area with windows on both sides making it open and airy. The owners are very accomodating and genuine !! Although you are quite secluded and away from the masses it is all very civilized! The place is immaculate, the service excellent and the food is divine, dont forget to bring a good book and snorkle equipment!!!! We would go back, but next time we would stay much longer!!!!! Enjoy!!!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank vexated
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

Mayan Beach Garden is a lovely, secluded and cozy place to visit. My boyfriend and I stayed there for about a week in the beginning of January. We were very happy with our experience. The owners (Marcia and Kim) were great---telling us about the local attractions, taking us snorkeling out to the reef and checking in periodically to make sure that our stay was pleasant, without being at all overbearing or invasive of our privacy. It honestly feels as if you're staying with friends at their beautiful Mexican hacienda!

We loved the clear ocean water, the sound of the waves crashing while we slept, the constant sea breeze through our open windows (we wouldn't have imagined turning on the A/C, we were always perfectly comfortable), the secluded and small scale of MBG, and the blanket of stars each night from being so far away from the lights of any city. The food was fabulous and the menu was creative. It was so nice to have lunches packed for us while we ventured off to the Mayan ruins and beyond. We really liked the family-style dining (which is mostly only during dinner). The other guests were a pleasure to meet and chat with. I took a cooking class one day, which was tons of fun! I learned how to make authentic dishes while Marcia translated. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes to cook!

I should mention a few things possible deterants/cautions for travelers...MBG is incredibly secluded and it's an exhausting trip to make in one day from Cancun (especially if you're flying somewhere else in the same day). It's a better idea to split the trip up between two days each way and take your time.There are so many wonderful things to see in between, as well as possible delays on the road. We stayed just outside of Tulum our last night, which was perfect. If you're in that area, make sure to check out the cenotes just past Coba---they were absolutely amazing.

Definitely beware of the gas station attendants completely ripping you off. We really wished that we had known beforehand, because it apparently occurs constantly when filling up on gas. Make sure that you get out of the vehicle and watch them as they start the pump with all ZERO'S. These gas pumps do not automatically start at zero, so if you're not paying attention, the attendants will start pumping your gas and adding the price to the amount that previous vehicles have paid. We ended up paying $80 to fill up our Jeep.

Also, there is still tons of devastation from the hurricane, including damage to the coral reef (which is really a very short swim from the beach). The clean-up effort is going strong, though at first it can be a bit shocking, so just be prepared. There is also tons of trash on the beach, which is a regular thing, hurrican or not, and can be really depressing to see. However, they do a great job of keeping the MBG beaches very clean. Overall, it was a great experience and unlike any other Mexican vacation I've been on. If you're up for an adventure with great rewards, MBG is a great pick!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AJWBoulder_CO
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2008

We just returned from a two week stay at the Mayan Beach Garden and loved every minute. This small resort was badly damaged by Hurricane Dean but the owners, Marcia and Kim are rebuilding with the determination and spunk of true pioneers. They lost three cabanas but the the remaining three are totally rebuilt and extremely comfortable and clean. Deluxe accomodation on a remote beach with lots of great destinations to explore. This is a true frontier a long ways from the hectic tourist trappings of many other destinations in Mexico. You are treated as their special guests. We loved the meal plan and especially enjoyed meeting other travellers at dinner. It is a wonderful social time to get together and exchange stories. We made many new friends and will always treasure the relationships formed. They would pack us a wonderful picnic lunch for our forays to the Sian Ka'an and Mayan ruins. We snorkeled almost everyday, beachcombed, explored, saw lots of wildlife, and birds. The towns of Mahahual, Xcalak, Bacalar, and Chetumal are close enough for daytrips and very interesting to visit. Beware of the local gas station where they have a million ways to overcharge you for your gas. Stay guarded and don't tell anybody your business. Keep your cash and documents close and never leave them unattended. Email yourself a copy of your passport and credit cards so if anything happens you can easily cancel everything. We hope to return and give it a hearty snorkels up!

• Liked — remote
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bestyoucando
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

Mayan Beach Garden was an absolute delight and joy! I arrived, (after booking my stay on-line), after dark. I was warmly welcomed! I could hear the ocean waves, smell the salt in the air and feel the warm breeze on my face. I couldn't wait until daylight to see it! I had room service in my cabana and the food was fantastic (see photo)! I picked MBG simply because it was near Mahahual and I wanted to visit there. Little did I know MBG was a sparkling jewel in the jungle on the edge of the sea! My cabana was great because of the things that it didn't have, no AC, no phone, no TV- I did not miss any of these things! I fell asleep in my comfy king size bed listening to the waves. I spent my days beach combing and relaxing by the sea. I found a new hobby, collecting sea-beans! The owners of MBG are wonderful, warm folks who are very knowledgable about the area, the plants, the birds and the ways of the Mexican people and their society. Very good dinner company in the community dining area! The food was absolutely delicious, I mean fabulous......to die for! (I was asked prior to my visit what foods I liked and didn't like) I was very pleased! Next to the dining area is their personal library that they graciously share with lots of books about everything surrounding you. The service was great, as all I had to do was to ask for what I needed. The garden part of the Mayan Beach Garden was beautiful and a joy just to walk through, palm trees with coconuts, conch shells lying around the bottom of the trees, flowers, lovely white sand - just beautiful!
Needless to say, I highly recommend Mayan Beach Garden, it was a wonderful experience I will always remember. I will visit there again, and again. If you are lucky enough to visit there, tell Marcia and Kim and their crew, Denise says "Hello"!

• Liked — Beautiful sea, sun and sand. PRIVACY Great food!!
  • Disliked — I liked everything!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Denise4
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2007

We had a wonderful time in Mexico, staying in both Tulum and Mahahual. The reviews for the Mayan Beach Garden are very polarized (either 1 or 5 stars, little in between), and I thought I'd try to provide some more context for those wrestling with the decision of where to stay.

I truly believe MBG has a lot to offer the right person. As long as you have the right expectations, you'll have a lovely time. Here are the Pros and Cons:

PROS:
1. Great food. Yes, the meals are communal, and you can't eat whenever you want. But the food was excellent. Authentic flavors, good variety, healthy, etc. When we were there, too many dinners were chicken-centric, but there was also pasta, veggies, bread, desserts, etc. Breakfasts are great. When you pay for the meals-included plan, it's really cheap for good meals. The fresh fruit was wonderful.

2. Great snorkelling. One review said the reef is 300-400 yards away. Hogwash. You have two options: Swim 100 yards out to the reef (sounds hard but pretty easy, shallow most of the way) or walk 10 minutes up the beach to "the point". Both options put you right in prime snorkelling, with colorful coral formations, gorgeous fish, excellent visibility, etc. You can see more exotic fish the further out you go. It's not "curbside snorkelling", but pretty close. And better than anything Cancun/Playa/Tulum has to offer. More on the beach in the CON section.

3. Area Attractions. MBG is truly in the middle of nowhere (you'll realize just how much on the drive there). But there are wonderful day trips that are very worthwhile. Everyone derides Mahahual as being a tourist ghetto, but I found it quite charming, especially in the AM before the ships arrive. BACALAR (1+ hour drive) is a quaint town with a lovely Fort and a Spectacular Lake. If the idea of a Lake doesn't entice you, you have to see this one. Amazing water!! The Dzibanche & Kohlunlich Mayan Ruins (2 hours drive) are great. Chetumal is a nice city. You really have the opportunity to see the heart of Mexico in this region, both good and bad--as much of a sociological adventure as anything else, and a real treat.

CONS:
1. The beach. If you're looking for pristene beaches with postcard-perfection, this is not your place. The water is clear and the sand is white, but there is a lot of sea grass. The staff cleans the beach outside the hotel, but if you walk 30 feet away, the trash on the shore gets pretty bad. So, if you just like to sit on the beach and listen to the waves in peace, this is a perfect place--quiet, secluded, and beautiful. If you like to stroll along beaches, you won't be so happy. If you like to snorkel, just overlook the sea grass and you'll be in paradise.

2. Isolation. Most people want seclusion when they run off for a relaxing vacation. I'm no different. I'd die in Cancun, where 100 people compete for 5 feet of sand and cram the buffets. But I also like some civilization--a nearby town, shops, restaurants, etc. MBG is a 30-minute drive from anything. If that excites you, then go for it! The hotel has most creature comforts you might want (snacks, liquor, DVDs, internet, boogie boards), so you'll be fine. Just keep in mind that seclusion is relative--you're in the middle of nowhere, but other guests are right next door, and there are neighbors nearby (some with noisy dogs at night). I loved the peace and tranquility, but missed having some sort of beachside nightlife to stroll through. At night, all is very quiet. I really craved a cozy bar or a group of folks to play scrabble with into the night. If you just want peace, this is your place. If, on the other hand, you like peace during the day, then some fun at night, you'll need to bring the fun yourself.

IN A NUTSHELL:
MBG was not perfect, but we had a great time. As long as you are prepared for both the highs and lows, you'll be delighted. I think this is a great place for couples with children (kids can race around while you relax nearby), and older folks (you can lie in the shade in a hammock and read for hours). For those needing a little more excitement (nighttime strolls, restaurants, evenings at the bar with a Margarita), I'd suggest something in Mahahual proper or even Tulum. Or split up your vacation--3 days in Tulum, 3 days at MBG. That way, you get a nice variety.
The MBG owners are very nice, as are the help. It feels like a B&B on the beach--very intimate. The beach trash is a shame, but as long as you just hang out around the property, you'll be happy. Nights can be hot w/ AC. March was too warm a few nights, I bet summer is unbearable. The rooms themselves are simple but very tasteful and spacious.

• Liked — Peace
  • Disliked — Distance
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family