“Perfect place to unplug.”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 23 Mahahual B&B and Inns
texas
“Perfect place to unplug.”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

If you love Mexico and are tired of the increasing crowds from Cancun to Tulum, then turn your eyes further south. MBG is seemingly in the middle of nowhere. The only negative is the drive. 4 1/2 hours from Cancun, but only an hour from Chetumal. Check out their website for links to the ton of stuff to do in the area. They have Internet but I chose to unplug and read my first book in a year! I wish I had stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2013
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
"UN-PLUGGING" is exactly what we had in mind when we created Mayan Beach Garden. That's why every room has a hammock and beach chairs and lots of relaxing space. We're glad you were able to enjoy the serenity and peace that an uninterrupted beach can create. We hope to see you again, the next time you are in need of this kind of vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at one of the properties managed by Mayan Beach Garden. We wanted to stay close to town and chose Costa Maya Villas, located just north of the light house and an easy walk to shops and restaurants. The beachfront condo was spacious and well equipped with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. The master bedroom and living room overlook the pool and beach. We had daily cleaning service. We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Manager at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Costa Maya Villas. I'm not sure how to move this review from Mayan Beach Garden to Costa Maya Villas, but we do manage the condos and therefore I want to thank you for your time and kind comments, albeit from the Mayan Beach Garden review page. I'm gratified that you found the accommodations to your liking as well as the convenient location and care taken by Melbin and the team. I do so hope you return and continue to enjoy Mahahual and it's slow paced and relaxing environment.
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Rooms are clean and large, beds comfortable, Lots of day trips; from ruins to snorkeling a ship wreck. Fishing is good from the beach and better in the lagoons - ask Marsha where Pedro lives. He will rent you a boat and get you into the lagoon for 200 pesos - guaranteed tarpon!
Its just sooooo relaxing here and the good food at the communal dinner at night provides just the right amount of interaction and conversation to cap off exceptional days. Attentive owners and staff a great place and make it memorable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I love the fact that you enjoy Mayan Beach Garden enough to return every year. It's a joy to look forward to all of our returnees and now good friends. I'm glad you had the opportunity to go out with Pedro, I'm sure he enjoyed it at much as you did. You missed the snook fishing in Rio Indio - last week people were taking out fish by the dozens. Next year! Thanks for taking time out of your day to send us the review, your time is valuable, and we really appreciate the effort on your part.
West Point, Virginia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

It is so sad to say that this little hotel is excellent in every aspect, but our stay was spoiled by a tremendous and continuous amount of trash all along the beach every day. We were told the trash is from cruise liners dumping out in the ocean. For example, on our first day, my wife picked up a board with 4 nails in it. As an avid swimmer I was reluctant to go in the water at all for fear of injury. I hope this problem will somehow be corrected. We felt so sorry for the owners who are good folks and provide an excellent experience otherwise.
The above aside, there are many, many positives. The food was excellent every day; very fresh and creative. The room was comfortable, and the constant ocean breeze through it was like perfume. I slept beautifully, and was awakened each morning with a multitude of nice bird sounds. The weather was perfect every day. The owners are intelligent, knowledgeable and entertaining hosts.
This location may not be for everyone. My wife felt it was a bit too isolated and would have preferred staying in Mahajual, a town 30 minutes away. But I preferred the quiet, more natural environment. The hotel backs up to the usual low level jungle of the Yucatan.
Bottom line If the ocean polluters would stop, this place would be paradise.:

Room Tip: If you stay in one of the 2 rooms above the dining room, make sure the ocean breeze is flowing throu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
snorkelqueen2013, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
I appreciate your honest review. I too am distressed by the occasional massive amounts of garbage in the water. February was indeed a bad month in 2013. We had a massive cleanup in late February which allowed us to clean up the beaches, cleaning up from storms that had left debris since the coming of Hurricane Ernesto five months previously. Over 50 people were involved in the clean up. Since that time, our beaches have been much better. I'm sorry you had to be here on such an event. We hope that this year, we won't experience such an event again.
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We made an unplanned, unannounced visit to MBG in early September and spent a wonderful couple of hours visiting with Marcia and Kim! Their hospitality was unmatched, considering that we dropped in unannounced The dinner was excellent and satisfying, the drinks were cold and the conversation was lively. We had been to MBG in 2005 and we were amazed at the transformation that had taken place--the facility has grown and the vegetation has matured to truly give one a feel of a tropical paradise. If you want to experience a bit of paradise on a beautiful beach, you should definitely put Mayan Beach Gardens on your destination list!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are so happy you stopped by for a meal at our restaurant and to see the surroundings and beach. Things certainly have changed since 2005 - for the better we hope. We do hope to see you again soon and for a longer stay. Have a great year!
Reviewed September 3, 2013

hello my name is Richard Brunner, and I recently went with my fiancee and I really liked this place is very nice, and the rooms are very comfortable and have a very nice view of the beach , the owners and all the staff are very friendly, and are very good people , I hope to return soon , oh forgot to tell you that if they do not forget to order your exquisite " cochinita pibil taco " they prepare delicious and ask for the reef to go snorkeling , or go ah s cayak very nice place and the prices are very affordable , the entire Mayan Riviera hotels to visit , this is the one I like to spend time relaxing with my fiancee , take cash only advice that no ATMs near your credit card or Hi can pay with it , oh and the taxi mahahual center hotel costs $ 250 MXN not overcharge them more , and the hotel they have a person who can carry a good price, I hope my review will help and have fun

Room Tip: Choose the room overlooking the beach is nice and wide , but the wind is a bit strong, but I do reco...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review. I would like to mention a bit about the ATMs in town. There are three, but they are sometimes out of money. We take Credit Cards at Mayan Beach Garden. There are many locations to get money at ATMs elsewhere along the highway and there are plans for more ATMs in town. Email us and I can give you more specific information about getting cash.
Cancun
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Little piece of paradise lost In the middle of nowhere at the Yucatán peninsula. Want to be away from everyone and everything, this is the place. If you choose to stay there might recommend take some groceries and something to drink or Make sure you buy the meal plan. Food is excellent and prices are very reasonable. Thumbs up!!!

• Stayed August 2013
snorkelqueen2013, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Saludos de Mayan Beach Garden! Thank you so much for finding Mayan Beach Garden in our out of the way location and taking time to comment on Trip Advisor. Perhaps you did not know that we have a fully stocked bar - we try to provide everything our guests need for a relaxing visit and we carry wine, several rums and tequilas and a variety of Beer. We also can provide snacks during all hours except 3-5 in the afternoon when everyone is on Siesta but me. And I can always open up a cold beer! We hope you find your way here again.