“Excellent place and excellent hosts”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 23 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Monterrey, Mexico
“Excellent place and excellent hosts”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A magical place with excellent hosts. The food, while homemade, quality falls short of a good restaurant. Prices are aforable. And the geography of the place, the forest, the beach are to be admired ... shame that the government of Mexico does not take care of the beaches along the nature reserves ... are heavily polluted with garbage.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
snorkelqueen2013, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Greetings from Mayan Beach Garden! We are so happy you stayed with us and that you took the time out of your day to write a review. I agree with you 100% that I wish the government did something in the Biosphere to clean up the beaches. I have a hope that some day they will. Even better, would be that South American and Caribbean countries were to stop dumping their plastic into the ocean. I have very mixed feelings about the cleaning of the beaches. If someone cleaned it all the time, would you then believe that there was no plastic in the sea? With education and concerned people like yourself - it can someday be a paradise again. We hope to see you again in our little paradise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Mexico City
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place is perfect if you want to get away from it all for a few days. The rooms are tastefully decorated, the food wonderful and the service impeccable. Marcia was on hand to answer all our queries, provide snorkelling equipment and suggest activities either in the hotel or nearby, ranging from a massage on the beach to swimming with dolphins.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
snorkelqueen2013, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I'm so delighted you posted your photo - what a lovely shot. I've not seen one quite like that. Thanks for including it. It was a pleasure meeting your entire family and playing scrabble with you, although for me it was a humbling experience to be in the presence of such a great player. Good luck on your tournament play. Thanks to your influence, I purchased a Spanish version the other day so that my staff and Spanish speakers wont have to look for those elusive double L's.
Omaha, NE
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Mayan Beach Garden is a place for those who like to get off the beaten track, away from the crowds, but still have comfortable accommodations and great food. It is located about 15 miles outside of Mahahual, along the Costa Maya. It is about a 4.5 hour drive south from Cancun, but once I get there my shoes comes off and I am in one of my favorite places.

If you like to beach comb or just walk the beaches, you can easily walk for an hour without running into another person. There is a reef about 100-200 yards off shore and coral heads that make for great snorkeling. Colorful live coral, huge sea fans, tons of different fish, including large rays. You can also kayak out to the reef or along the shore. The beach and water access are sandy and clear of rocks. Every cabana or room has their own set of hammocks, perfect for curling up with a book or for an afternoon siesta. There are screens on the windows so you can enjoy the sea breeze and the soothing sound of the waves hitting the shore while you sleep.

We have stayed here 9 times and plan to return again in 2014. When asked for advice from newcomers on what to do, I always say “don’t ever miss a meal”. Marcia offers a meal plan that gives you 3 fresh made meals every day and the food is delicious. She has an awesome website with pictures of MBG and tons of information about the area, things to do and see, driving in Mexico . . . everything you need to know.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The pictures, as always are great, but you are missing the picture of the jaguar! Not only am I thankful for your review, but I want to publicly thank you for your community service. May people don't realize what great guests we have that come to Mayan Beach Garden, but that many like yourselves also participate in beach cleaning efforts up and down the beach further away from Mayan Beach Garden. There is a turtle out there and a bird who are also thanking you right now!
Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is amazing! The view amazing! The food amazing! The staff amazing! If you want to relax and get away from it all this is the place. Your A/C is the open windows with ocean breezes. No phone service but wifi in the main building. Beach is amazing. So tranquil and off the grid. A great place to relax and veg! We'll be back! Thanks Kim and Marcia!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
And it is simply Amazing that you took the time to write such a nice review - thank you so much. The weather has been perfect all of July and the first three weeks of August, so I've been out in the water. Today, it is windy and the water stirred up, so am taking time to write replies to wonderful guests like yourself who have taken time out of their summer holidays to write a review. We hope to welcome you back next year - I think you will like our new mosaics that Rafael has been working on.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a small beachfront hotel with a somewhat more remote location to relax, read, swim, snorkel, beach comb and enjoy great home cooked meals. The rooms are 1st rate and spacious. You will enjoy the beds. The owners and staff are there to help you with anything you may need. Be prepared to enjoy the evening meal in a "family style" setting with a long table to share the days activities with the hotel owners and the other guests. A large screened-in porch is the setting for all meals & what a great way to start your day & end the evening. And yes, a well stocked small bar !

Upside : super owners that make you feel special to be there & some of the best food you will ever taste. Mahahual is worth a couple of day trips.

Downside : it's a 5 hour drive from Cancun & you will need a car to explore the area. The town of Mahahual is 13 miles to the South.

This was my 1st stay at Mayan Beach Garden. A great place for solo, couples or families.
Three nights was not enough time. I will return. Bernie.

Room Tip: Marcia is prompt to answer your email questions. She is also available to receive your phone calls.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
It was such a pleasure to welcome you here. Every time you entered the room, you brought a smile to my face. Hopefully next time you can come with a friend - although we will welcome you any way you come like a treasured friend. (I'm working on my memory so I can remember everyone's name too!)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been to Mayan Beach garden 4 times now, and this was the first time I traveled alone. The company was delightful, the food divine, and the hosts/owners were the best, most personable people I have ever stayed with. I was accepted with open arms as a daughter who came to visit. I admit this is not the hotel for those who want a night life, but if you want a quiet place to relax and unplug from the world, this IS the place to be.

Room Tip: I was in the room farthest back from the beach, and was up on the second floor. They called it the Y...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We love our return guests! Please . . . Please keep coming. Hopefully we will see you again next year with your family and not just alone. Oh, your little art project from flip-flops on the beach is now hanging in the bathroom art gallery!
Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent a week a Mayan beach and we just loved the experience. Site and room are very clean and well decorated. Beach was very nice and a 10 minute walk takes you to a snorkeling site 25 feet from the beach. My daughter was scared last while snorkeling. She snorkeled at this site for hours. The food was also excellent. Lots of variety and all very good. I even bought myself a gift while there: both my daughter and wife took cooking lessons and now I get to eat great Mexican food at home. We were given good info on i things to see or visit in the area. Overall, I give them a thumbs up.

Room Tip: All rooms were great. I was worried about being second floor over the palapa but it was perfect. Kid...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I'm so happy your family enjoyed their stay at Mayan Beach Garden and that you are enjoying Mexican food at home. If you have any questions or need a recipe - please email me privately and I'll be happy to send you how-to instructions. I know I've promised some folks recipes and I think I may have forgotten to do it!