Mayan Beach Garden
$36
  • Beachfront
Porto Coral(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
$93
Koox Matan Ka'an Hotel(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
$56
Ko'ox El Hotelito Beach Hotel(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
$53
$97
$95
Agoda.com
Margarita del Sol(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
$94
$79
Hotels.com
Luna de Plata . Hotel(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
$72
Agoda.com
$79
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmeal planother guestsfamily stylefishsian ka'anlong tablegreat tipswet itemstile workhottest waterwater usagediet restrictionsbe mindfulall inclusive resortbio reservepuerto ricosnorkel experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Before we booked Mayan Beach Garden I read many of the reviews and browsed the website quite a bit. We love the Akumal and Tulum area of Mexico but had never ventured any further south than that so we were very excited to see what Mahahual and Mayan Beach Garden would be like. We were not disappointed, in fact, our experiences were even better than anticipated. Just as most reviewers say, Marsha is amazing with her hospitality. She seems to always be there when you need her to answer questions and give suggestions as to places to go and things to do and yet she is never intruding on your privacy. She is quite talented, too, with her mosaics and her painting. She and Kim and their staff have made the closest thing to heaven on earth there at MBG. The meals are simply elegant, room is comfortable, grounds are beautiful and ambience can't be beat. Next time we go I am definitely going to take a cooking class. And we are definitely going back!

Room Tip: We had the Beachfront King which was nice but one night there were people in the room next door who smoked out on their deck and the smoke smell came right in to where our bed was so we had to keep the windows closed. Any other room would not have that problem.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you so much for venturing away from Tulum and Akumal to our quiet stretch of beach. Thanks also for the comment about the smokers. What do you think we could have done to make that better so that it wouldn't have bothered you? Please email me privately so maybe we can come up with a plan. Most people are mortified at the thought that their smoking is bothering someone - especially the lovely guests that find their way here. People don't come here if they don't care about others and the environment. Hope to see you again next year to see the new mosaics.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you want a great Yucatan beach experience that is way off the beaten track, then this is the place for you. Very quiet place, great rooms, beautiful beach, water, snorkelling. The food is excellent and the hosts, Marcia and Kim take great care of all their guests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jaanki

Being that this reviewer is from British Columbia. . . I wonder if you have sun yet. As I right this thank you note to you, I wonder if the sun is out in my home town of Seattle because today. . . we have no sun. There is a tropical depression moving through bringing with it cooling breezes and clouds. The sun will come back in a couple of days and I'll be ready for it. We think of all our Canadian guests and hope they get a good summer this year. You all deserve it! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your life to write this lovely review. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are lovely, the food is wonderful, the guests are interesting, the staff is only around when you need them. Marcia, the owner, has been there for 10 years, but her enthusiasm is still at its peak. Constantly changing, improving, embellishing, innovating she has to be on the move every moment...and yet, she radiates peace and calm. Their "how can I make you happy" mantra goes well beyond what might be expected. I missed my dogs ...and she loaned me hers. A guest arrived a little sickly. When she hadn't improved the next day, Marcia drove her to the doctor. Marcia's husband Kim apparently attends to all the behind the scenes tasks and is less often seen. However, when he does show up, he fills the room with good conversation and good humor. If you spend a little time picking up exotic beach trash, you can trade each bag in for a beer. Tequila is on tap. Mayan Beach Garden is the very best source for info on flora/fauna, tourism, area history and more. How could it be better than this?

Room Tip: They're all good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

I loved this cheerful review. And so you have an excuse to visit us again. . . . we have added more mosaics on the both the 2nd floor balcony and on the deck of Beachfront King (#2). So hopefully you will come back again to see them. We love your humor and and good natured conversation. It is such a pleasure when you visit us. Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a great place just to get away. It takes a while to get there (4 hour drive from Cancun), but well worth it. This was my first trip to Mexico where I was a little apprehensive prior to the trip due to all the negative press, but I never felt uncomfortable while there. I love just reading while lying in the hammocks on the front porches of the cabanas and going out for a snorkel. Dinners are communal which is a nice way to get to know the other guests. The owners, Marcia and Kim, are fantastic hosts. I am already planning my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for mentioning the negative press and in turn your good experience. I have lived here for ten years and it is as safe, if not safer than it was when I first arrived. A remote place like this is not a pleasure to be here if you don't feel secure in your environment and I am grateful when so many people choose to make Mayan Beach Garden their first visit - and brave the drive down here to find that the roads are good and safer than they expected . In addition, the Mexicans that live here in the Yucatan Peninsula and on the Costa Maya are laid back and friendly. I'm glad you were comfortable here and have a desire to return. We look forward for your next visit.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd stay at MBG. We also stayed there 2 years ago. My husband, 2 daughters, and I immensely enjoyed both visits.

Almost any question you could possibly have about Mayan Beach Gardens, or the region, could be answered by searching in one place or another on their FABULOUS website.

Mayan Beach Gardens is a small, quiet inn on the shore of Costa Maya near Mahahual, Mexico. It is not a spot with a nightlife or parties. It is a glorious spot to enjoy the ocean and relax. It is probably not for you if your favorite vacations are those spent at a high-end all inclusive resort. If you like a bit of adventure and being outdoors, this is a perfect find. The rooms are lovely and the beds are comfortable.

The beaches in Costa Maya are not pristine. The ocean brings up the garbage dumped at sea and deposits it along the coast. Without the beach cleaning equipment and manpower of Playa and Cancun, large strips of beach have a fascinating array of garbage. This should leave everyone with a determination to try and prevent dumping of waste into the ocean and to take care of our natural areas. Mayan Beach Gardens cleans up the garbage that washes up on their property. Even the littered shores do not really detract from the peaceful beauty of the coastline. It is hard not to travel here without daydreaming of owning your own plot of land on the Costa Maya.

In the past we stayed in the largest cabana. This has a kitchenette and a lovely porch with hammock. Most rooms do not have AC at MBG, but since the cabanas are right on the beach with large windows, the winds cool the room down at night. This year we stayed above the restaurant in the Tonina room. It has a futon that can be used as a bed for kids. Another fabulous feature is a niche for hanging wet items with venting above and a drain below. There is beautiful mosaic tile work throughout the room and the building. I find it fantastic that each room has a broom. We track in plenty of sand during the day and it is great to be able to sweep it out more often then when housekeeping comes.

MBG has a meal plan option and you would be crazy not to choose this option. In the last 2 years we have travel to quite a few cities around the Yucatan. By far, the best food we had was at MBG. Breakfast and lunch are served to smaller groups, but supper is served family style later in the evening. People gather just after dark for drinks and to chat (Marcia makes divine pina coladas). My daughters learned the game of "spoons" from another family during this time. Then dinner is served at a long table seating everyone who wishes to dine family style. You get a chance to talk with travelers from around the world and pick up great tips on activities in the area or traveling in Mexico.

I already miss the fresh fruit and handmade tortillas. Breakfast includes coffee from the Chiapas, fresh juice, fresh fruit, and a choice of entree. Lunch and dinner are a set menu, but they work to accommodate different diet restrictions. They post their menu for the month, but it may change it does show the times of meals served. They serve fresh chips and homemade salsa and black bean dip with lunch and dinner. The desserts are divine. The staff are helpful and friendly.

Conservation of resources is important at MBG. They do not have municipal electricity along the cost in this area. They use the generator for a couple of hours per day and you can charge devices during this time. It is important to be mindful of your electrical and water usage while at MBG. They have to bring all water to their inn. Despite all of this, they provide the hottest water for showers that we have had in Mexico. The have wireless internet available throughout their gardens.

You can snorkel in waters in front o their inn or walk down the beach less than 1/4 mile to some fabulous areas. The areas are easy to snorkel, shallow, seemingly endless, and a huge array of fish and corral. Although the water is fairly warm, a light wetsuit is awesome to keep you from burning. Sunscreen residue is harmful to coral.

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank 60004Kathy

The guidelines for writing responses require that we don't use names, but so often I know who is writing the review and in this case I can picture your lovely family smiling after some fun adventure and so willing to share their day. We loved having your here and looking forward to seeing the budding marine biologist grow up and discover new things and more mermaid art from your other daugher. Have a wonderful summer and hope to see you here next year.