“Unique experience of a lifetime!”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for several weeks in May and I cannot begin to express what a wonderful time we had. It was truly a unique experience and we wouldn't trade it for anything. Sleeping in beautiful, comfortable and yet somewhat rustic rooms right on the beach...surrounded by the sounds of nature and the ocean, we felt as if we were truly off the beaten path. I had never really stayed at an "off the grid" hotel and was not quite sure what to expect. I was amazed at how truly comfy and easy it turned out to be. We always had a wonderful breeze from the ocean and/or the overhead fan. I had truly been worried about not having A/C but I can honestly say that I did not need it or miss it once. Mayan Beach Garden is located on a remote stretch of beach front road, yet in reality is only 15 minutes from the quaint fishing village of Mahahual (with its cute shops and a selection of interesting restaurants). With the mangrove in back and the Carribbean ocean in front, MBG is a perfect blend of jungle and beach. The atmosphere is welcoming, relaxed and friendly -- decorated with some incredibly beautiful artwork by one of the owners. Its an excellent spot to use as a home base for day trips. Many guests spent their time diving, snorkeling, fishing, bird watching and visiting the Mayan ruins. We chose to spend the majority of our time lounging in our hammocks and soaking in the gorgeous views of the Carribean and sipping mango margaritas! On the Costa Maya we discovered that the beach changes vastly from spot to spot. The beach in front of MBG is clean and the water was fairly calm and tranquil most of the time. The turtle grass grows far enough away from the beach that there is a very nice area with a sandy bottom for swimming. A few days there were some larger waves and occasionally a lot of seaweed washed up. But, the staff always had it cleaned up promptly. Still, this is not Cancun.... the beach is more...raw and real here...teeming with coral and ocean life. Just what we were looking for! There was not another soul on the beach as far as we could see! Just up the way, about a ten minute walk from MBG, the owner directed us to a truly world class snorkeling spot. All we had to do was swim out a few feet to see an abundance of fish and other ocean life. One woman saw a Manatee while we were there (she showed me pictures!) and several people reported seeing Sting Rays and Turtles. We went snorkeling in the Sian Kaan reserve at a real honest to goodness ship wreck. Mayan Beach Garden is place for adventurers and beach loungers a like. We loved the free kayaks and really want to try the paddle boards next time we visit. The staff is very helpful and welcoming...they always had a smile on their face and truly went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The group dinners provided a wonderful opportunity to meet and talk to some interesting people from all over the world..but we also had the option of having a romantic private dinner on the roof. We were told they are going to be adding yoga and spa facilities in the near future and we are excited to come back and give those a try too! Thanks everyone at MBG. We can't wait to see you all again..hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

As I look out my window, I am imagining the two of you snorkeling the shipwreck and exploring the Sian Ka'an. Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone about it here on TripAdvisor. Some day, it won't be so lonely and wild and we will have lots of traffic here. I'm so happy you got to experience it as it is now. May others be so fortunate. Until next time!

There are newer reviews for Mayan Beach Garden

Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was our family's fourth trip to MBG and a fifth trip for my daughter Amy. I have always been excited to see how the grounds and garden have changed from trip to trip, I saw it both pre and post Dean (hurricane) and I have to say that the owners keep making it better. Every trip we are able to relax sooner and with less effort and look forward to our return with greater anticipation.

I was so glad to have a place where I could catch up on my reading which tends to get lost in the hustle and bustle of life. Once more Marcia and Kim made our stay fun, and wonderful. My kids see them almost like grandparents and there were tears in my eyes as we drove away to go home.

I cannot wait to visit again and see what new things have been added. I have stayed in almost every room available over the years and I can honestly say that there are no bad rooms (of the ones I have stayed in). There were two more rooms (second story above existing cabanas) added since my last visit and we barely needed the fan, only on the nights when the breeze died down.

As always the food was delightful and enjoyable, my son even said he did not mind trying new things at MBG which is amazing since he is both autistic and a picky eater. It was great to meet Rob and Rebecca as well. With our limited vacation budget I am glad we always take the chance to save up for our trip to MBG, we learn new things every trip and enjoy every stay making it worth every penny.

Room Tip: Contact the owners with any accommodations or questions and you will have an even better experience.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

The best thing about owning a small Inn like Mayan Beach Garden is that our guests become our friends and when you return, we get the pleasure of your company yet again. Thanks for continuing to come to MBG and blessing us with your presence. Have a great summer and we hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Whenever we travel we are always in search for places that are off-the-beaten path, remote, when possible and more importantly, unique. We are happy to report that the Mayan Beach Garden Inn is one of those places.

The Inn is a few hours away from Cancun and sadly, in this day and age, one needs to travel far to find this kind of lovely and unique place. Luckily, the journey was worth it! The hosts, the staff, the food and the accommodations are wonderful. My husband and I stayed for 4 days and of course, we wished we stayed longer. When we arrived we thought that after 4 days we would have had enough but almost a month later, we keep thinking of the Inn and wishing we were there again.

I think often people are disappointed when visiting a place because their expectations are not met but in the case of this Inn, one would be hard press to fault them for lack of information. They have put together the most comprehensive website I have ever seen, the plethora of information does not only regard the hotel but Mahahual and the encompassing Costa Maya. Well worth a thorough read.

One last thing. This is something I have noticed with very small hotels and B&Bs, if you have any comments or issues please mention them kindly to the hosts as I have seen some really silly complaints here that could have been taken care of by the Inn's hosts.

Thank you Marcia, Rebecca, Rob and the rest of the staff. We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessaroo
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for such a nice review. We love it when people understand what we are about, and you certainly do! Can't wait to share this with Rob and Rebecca! Since they just started, they will be thrilled to know that you appreciated their efforts. The staff say's "hi" too!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here with our 2x boys (5yrs + 2yrs) and had a brilliant time throughout. We stayed in a junior suite on the beach. There was one main room and the bathroom. The boys were in single beds in a sectioned off area in one corner. We had a kitchenette, breakfast bar, plenty of storage and a huge superior kingsize bed. It was immaculately clean and there was a lovely sea breeze keeping the mosquitos at bay! The balcony / terrace has awesome with views over the turquoise seas, brilliant wooden furniture and amazing hammocks. The restaurant was amazing, so good in fact we ate all our meals with them and on the days we went out, we were given a fab packed lunch. All our needs were catered for from activities, planning trips to temples, maps in a friendly, constructive and creative way. The snorkelling is fantastic (adult equipment can be hired) and the boogy board beach was pretty special too.
We had such an amazing time, I felt my eyes well up when we left and were saying goodbye to our outstanding hosts.
We cannot recommend Maya Beach Garden highly enough, in fact the number of regular guests (one couple were there for the 7th time!) speaks volumes....we hope to go back very soon.

Room Tip: There is not a swimming pool but I cannot work out how to clear this option!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Libby L
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

I am so pleased your family had a lovely time. I have to say that we all fell in love with all of you from the moment you arrived. Few children are so well behaved. We do hope to see them again some time and thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and so soon after your departure from us. Have a great summer!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Having spent 18 years travelling to Mexico, mainly to the beaches of Tulum we have now found our new paradise. If you are one of many who find Tulum overcrowded and expensive - I urge you to try Mayan Beach Garden. The coast is beautiful, each day we were advised by Marcia on a new beach to try or an area for great snorkling. Our room was spotless with everything we needed and a nice balcony overlooking the beach. Breakfast was included every morning and if we needed a lunch to go it was provided promptly. Each evening a dinner is served with one or two different choices and it is served family style with all the guests sitting at one large table - this was very enjoyable and we met many nice people. So if you are looking for quiet beaches, great snorkling, non crowded fly fishing and great accommodations - this is the place for you!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EllieKoeppel
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Oh, I am so happy you liked Mayan Beach Garden. I expect we will stay pretty quiet for some time to come. It is only the independent travelers like yourself that seem to find their way here and we are blessed to meet so many of you. We love returnees - they are like old friends to us, so I'm glad you will in that select group. Thanks for the wonderful review - it lifts our spirits. ;-)

Reviewed May 5, 2012

2 couples stayed for 4 nights 2 weeks ago marcia and kim are 1st class people no doubt, the facilities are top of the line, the beach and bay are outstanding great walks and beachcombing, martin and rafael are also so helpful the food is to die for.....delicious every meal, snorkeling out front outstanding also up the coast aways if you want a stress free vacation in an incredible setting with the best hosts you could ever want this is the place

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Mayan Beach Garden with others. Just a note, Martin just got married on June 9th, and says "HI!" Please find your way to this stretch of beach again - we'll be here!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Well this was our last stop before crossing to Cozumel, we stayed 2 nights in this fantastic, out of the way, paradise. This, for us, is the ultimate in traveling and discovering a country in accomodations that you would expect in a city but sitting on the beach, in the jungle. The rooms are spotless, meals are divine and the setting is breathtaking. Just imagine getting out of the cars and your feet are feeling the soft sand for the rest of your stay. If you think you may enjoy this type of travel, don't hesitate, you'll love it. We took the car up to a lobster fishing village that Marcia proposed we should visit, we took the sandy road looking at the sea all along the way, we felt like we were living a Discovery channel episode. What a feeling of being part of nature. If we would go back? FOR SURE!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel__Julie
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Because you wrote such an insightful review of MBG, and you appear to like the same things I like in a vacation, I decided to look up some of your other reviews. Now I'm going to stay at one of them! (I won't mention my competitor in another city, but needless to say, it is similar to here!) Thanks for the unintended tip and also the nice comments about Mayan Beach Garden!