My husband and I stayed here for several weeks in May and I cannot begin to express what a wonderful time we had. It was truly a unique experience and we wouldn't trade it for anything. Sleeping in beautiful, comfortable and yet somewhat rustic rooms right on the beach...surrounded by the sounds of nature and the ocean, we felt as if we were truly off the beaten path. I had never really stayed at an "off the grid" hotel and was not quite sure what to expect. I was amazed at how truly comfy and easy it turned out to be. We always had a wonderful breeze from the ocean and/or the overhead fan. I had truly been worried about not having A/C but I can honestly say that I did not need it or miss it once. Mayan Beach Garden is located on a remote stretch of beach front road, yet in reality is only 15 minutes from the quaint fishing village of Mahahual (with its cute shops and a selection of interesting restaurants). With the mangrove in back and the Carribbean ocean in front, MBG is a perfect blend of jungle and beach. The atmosphere is welcoming, relaxed and friendly -- decorated with some incredibly beautiful artwork by one of the owners. Its an excellent spot to use as a home base for day trips. Many guests spent their time diving, snorkeling, fishing, bird watching and visiting the Mayan ruins. We chose to spend the majority of our time lounging in our hammocks and soaking in the gorgeous views of the Carribean and sipping mango margaritas! On the Costa Maya we discovered that the beach changes vastly from spot to spot. The beach in front of MBG is clean and the water was fairly calm and tranquil most of the time. The turtle grass grows far enough away from the beach that there is a very nice area with a sandy bottom for swimming. A few days there were some larger waves and occasionally a lot of seaweed washed up. But, the staff always had it cleaned up promptly. Still, this is not Cancun.... the beach is more...raw and real here...teeming with coral and ocean life. Just what we were looking for! There was not another soul on the beach as far as we could see! Just up the way, about a ten minute walk from MBG, the owner directed us to a truly world class snorkeling spot. All we had to do was swim out a few feet to see an abundance of fish and other ocean life. One woman saw a Manatee while we were there (she showed me pictures!) and several people reported seeing Sting Rays and Turtles. We went snorkeling in the Sian Kaan reserve at a real honest to goodness ship wreck. Mayan Beach Garden is place for adventurers and beach loungers a like. We loved the free kayaks and really want to try the paddle boards next time we visit. The staff is very helpful and welcoming...they always had a smile on their face and truly went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The group dinners provided a wonderful opportunity to meet and talk to some interesting people from all over the world..but we also had the option of having a romantic private dinner on the roof. We were told they are going to be adding yoga and spa facilities in the near future and we are excited to come back and give those a try too! Thanks everyone at MBG. We can't wait to see you all again..hopefully very soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secluded off the grid solar powered beach front Inn, nestled on sandy white beach on the Mexican Caribbean. Walk for miles in either direction, swim or snorkel from shore. This is the closest Hotel to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere- maps and independent traveler's guidance are available. King sized beds, fans and large bathrooms in each room. Hot Breakfast included. To protect the tranquility and quiet of the hotel, only children over the age of 12 are allowed during the months of January, February, March and April. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Mayan Beach Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Beach Garden Hotel Mahahual
- Mayan Beach Garden Mahahual, Mexico - Costa Maya