“One Word- AMAZING!”
Review of Maya Chan Beach

Maya Chan Beach
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Mahahual
More attraction details
Owner description: Private beach resort for cruise ship passengers.
Central Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One Word- AMAZING!”
Reviewed February 9, 2010

The resort is very well kept. The palapas are private per each group. Plenty of shade, and when the sun came out, plenty of sun! The drinks kept coming ALL DAY, even my "virgin" drinks were fantastic. They gave me something called the "Pink Special", that was to die for.

When we got there it was cloudy with a rain storm in the distance. By lunch the storm was gone and the sun was out. Food was amazing! Yummy fish/chicken tacos. I only ate one because I was so full from drinks.

After lunch we took the kayaks out to go snorkeling on the reef. The kayaks with the glass bottoms were really cool. The snorkeling was okay. Not the best I've seen, a lot of bleached coral, but we did see some living coral, some different fish species. They brought up a sea star and a brittle star for everyone to see.

My parents went snorkeling right off the beach and were amazed with the amount of different species they could see. A lot of soft coral and some fish. Lots of turtle grass, but you'd be surprised what you can find in a turtle grass bed.

The afternoon consisted of lounging around on the floats in the water. The bartenders brought the drinks out to us in the water. We didn't have to lift a finger!

It really was a WONDERFUL day. I'd recommend this to anyone and we didn't want to leave. And yes, everyone (except me) went home pretty blitzed. That spells out a successful day, right?

Their webcam was what drew me in in the end. I watched it every day before I left. They know what cruise ship passengers/visitors want!

3 Thank trtllovr

Cleveland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend, Best Ever, Must Go!”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I highly recommend this excursion to anyone who is looking for a quiet place to relax, enjoy a beautiful, private, very clean beach, and very accomodating hosts. I can't say enough about how pleasant and friendly David, Preston, Rod, Pearl, and especially Zack (aka Honey or Sweetheart) were to us. It is truly The "diamond in the ruff". Our ship was diverted from its original port so we were expected (because we contacted Mark ahead of time) but otherwise unexpected guests to Maya Chan. We were welcomed with open arms and smiles. The directions that Mark provided for us to give to the cab driver were very exact and our cab driver already knew where we were going so we really didn't even need them.

Be prepared for about a 30 minute ride from the pier, on a pot-hole-filled road (Hurricane Dean ravished all the roads and trees in the area in August 2007), but the ride is TOTALLY worth it (especially if your cab driver is Javaier, he knows how to avoid the pot holes). From the road, you won't see much, but just wait. It is soooo beautiful.

My two sisters and I were greeted by Preston, who personally took us to our own area complete with chairs, tables, umbrella, and even a beach bed, for which my sister was so grateful as we arrived quite early and she is not a morning person.

Zack and Pearl took care of us all morning, bringing our beverages and appetizers. Zack told us a little bit about the story about how Maya Chan came about (he says Chan means Mayan Paradise. Don't know if it's true, but I believe it.) He was very friendly and courteous. We felt like princesses.

The beach was very clean, the water was pristine. There was one bathroom which was more than adequate, but I wore my bathing suit under my shorts and shirt so didn't notice if there was a separate changing area. The bathroom would be large enough I guess, but it's the only one so you don't want to spend too much time in it. The resort is very "green" and uses solar heat and conserves water, which I appreciate very much. I saw a little hut with what looked like souviners, but I didn't look inside so don't know what was in there.

Because of our special circumstances, we didn't stay for lunch, so I can't comment on the food, other than we had chips & salsa and it was totally fresh. Beverages: non-alcoholic, yes. A nice variety of specialty drinks and the beer brands that I remember were Modelo, Allegro Modelo, Pacifico, and I believe Corona.

Don't forget to pose for the webcam -- my husband watched it the day we were there. Ask Zack the exact placement of the webcam so you can pose. Better yet, bring a sign or write one in the sand. It's so cool for the people at home--they were all excited to see us.

Our cab took about 10 Mexican Minutes to get there after we called (which is about 40 U.S. minutes), so if you are going under special circumstances that require you to take your own cab, be sure to allow enough time (cost was $10 each way, plus tip.)

This was probably the best "beach day" that I've ever had on a cruise, I highly recommend it. It was a great value for the money.

5 Thank jelloman
LENEXA KS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BEST EXCURSION ON A TWO WEEK BACK TO BACK CRUISE.”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We had ten people in our group and each enjoyed it immensely. The food , drinks, activities, personnel and setting are excellent. No peddlers on the beach. We had six people for the following week and booked it again. to our chagrin our port stop was delayed and we had to cancel. . I recommend this excursion to all ages. mark and his staff make the Maya Chan exceptional.

1 Thank RAILSPLITTER62
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Our day at Maya Chan couldn't have been better!!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I must send this review out to all who may be hesitant to visit a place such as this on their day at Puerto Maya. Fabulous service , food, drinks, and activities, My family of 5 visited Maya Chan on Jan, 20 - 2010, Our only knowledge of it was the web site so there was a little bit of unknown going into it. The instructions they gave us to meet our cab driver was right on the money, A short 15 minute ride took us to the resort. We were shown the facility and taken to our own private hut (as all who go get one) which has a bed, hammock chairs and a great view of the ocean. Drinks were brought to us immediatly and a waitress came by frequently to check on us, We settled in on the beach and then awesome salsa and chips were brought to us. Preston then took me and my 3 boys on a very educational short bike ride. My kids (13,11 and 10) loved it as preston walked into the ocean lifting up rocks to show the various sea life such as sea urchins, anenomes, crabs etc. We then went back to the resort to relax in the water,snorkel and kayak. My son was thrilled by finding a little octopus in a bottle on the ocean floor, They served lunch which was truly outstanding and plentiful, Preston and a few others educated us and served us coconut juice and pulp. Pretty cool! It was just a great day and a terrific value!!!

4 Thank OhioRueben
MassTraveler54
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jan. 20, 2010 - This Resort is the Best I have experienced ever!”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

The staff are courteous and friendly. The beach is clean. The comforts (lounge beds, tiki huts, chair floats, kayaks, changing rooms & showers) are great. The food was tasty and the bar service superb (thanks David!). I will be back some year.

1 Thank MassTraveler54