“Top Notch Beach Experience”
Review of Maya Chan Beach

Maya Chan Beach
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Mahahual
More attraction details
Owner description: Private beach resort for cruise ship passengers.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Beautiful beach, great facility, food, and service. My wife kept asking if they had a hotel as she wanted to stay rather than return to the ship (and real life).

We got off the ship later than most as we had to play croquet in the morning (don't ask). There was nobody from Maya Chan Beach to meet us (they had come and gone by the time we disembarked). Plenty of helpful people got us on a bus to town to grab a taxi to the beach. The taxi driver knew not to charge us for the trip as Maya Chan picked it up. It is a bumpy ride out of town but totally worth it.

We each had a good massage on the beach at a fraction of the cost we could get it on the boat. Highly recommended.

About 1:30 p.m. a few families arrived from a Disney ship. There was plenty of room for everyone and even though it didn't bother us at all the Maya Chan folks situated the families away from where most of us oldies were.

We are not really beach people, but if we found more places like this we could be converted. Don't hesitate to go.

1  Thank rogerhitchner
Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is the second time I have visited this little beach paradise. We were on the carnival dream, and get in at 6:00am local time....so when we get to this beach resort we get the same palapa as we had before and get served breakfast which we never had last time.....really good and also plan on making these at home....fried egg on refried beans on a tortilla. The drinks are good, the people are fantastic hoists, they go out of the way to make sure you enjoy yourself....if you do not have a good time of drinking and relaxing and eating....do not come here :)

2  Thank TheMan39
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We arrived at port in a down pour. The rain stopped a little, but the skies were still very dark. My group was determined to still go to Maya Chan. We were aware of the refundable policy for rainy days. However, we were at Maya Chan two years previously and were determined to take a chance. And boy oh boy are we so delighted we did. The rain held up a little, but then came the down pour. Mark, David and their staff were simply AMAZING!! We played games, kayaked, snorkeled, received massages, and floated in those fabulous floaters. Rain what rain?? We had the best time EVER!!! I highly recommend the piece of paradise. I can't wait to go again. May make a trip, just to relax at this paradise for a couple of days. Hugo, look out for me!!!

2  Thank Adelle W
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We arrived via cruise ship on a very cloudy day with occassional showers. Aware of the refund policy, we chose to go anyway and enjoy time away from the ship. We were looking for a fun, relaxing day and Maya Chan delivers!
What can you do on a rainy day? Get a relaxing, inexpensive massage. Relax in a chair under a palapa and read or nap. Swim in the ocean - you are going to be wet anyway! Go kayaking and snorkeling. Gather under the main bar palapa and enjoy the company of new friends, good drinks and use of the wifi. Pretty much anything we would do on a sunny day, but without the sunburn.
The owners and staff of Maya Chan are super friendly and work very hard to ensure you are having a good time. The food is good, the drinks are plentiful, the atmosphere is perfect for what you would want a rustic, mexican beach paradise to look like. I wouldn't want it any other way.
This was our 2nd visit, and I know it won't be our last. Just save me a float!

3  Thank mdoug67
Reviewed December 17, 2013

On Sunday December 8th my family, friends and I (20 of us) cruised on the Carnival Glory.
That Wednesday we arrived in Costa Maya, honestly it was the port most of us were looking forward to the most. You see two years ago we went to Maya Chan Beach! We loved it so much that once we knew we were going on this cruise everyone said Maya Chan!! We reserved our spot immediately. We all love Maya Chan, the owners and staff.
Well when we arrived in Costa Maya it was pouring rain. I thought we had to cancel. My sister prayed and said positive thoughts everyone!. Well it stopped raining and we left the ship to meet our transport. We got to Maya Chan and we were welcomed and directed to our spot at the beach. The owner, and whom I will now call my friend Mark came to welcome us. Well it started to rain and I felt horrible that we would have such a yucky day. Mark and his crew would not let the rain affect our day. We played a game under the main building, we got gifts, and shots were shared with all. And when the rain stopped we were back in the water. My friends and family had massages, kayaked, fished and sat in floatable chairs in the water and met new friends (Hi Kindle girl). And I forgot to mention the food!! The best salsa and guacamole I have ever had!! And a wonderful lunch!!! The best most relaxing time you can spend on your vacation! We LOVE Maya Chan!! And would suggest anyone going to Costa Maya, Mexico must go to Maya Chan Beach!!

4  Thank Nikki Y