“Overall a good spot to spend your time in Costa Maya”
Review of Maya Chan Beach

Maya Chan Beach
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Mahahual
More attraction details
Owner description: Private beach resort for cruise ship passengers.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Overall a good spot to spend your time in Costa Maya”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Disney Cruise spends only a few hours in Costa Maya so we didn't get to enjoy as much as we would like of Maya Chan, but it's definitely a good spot to chill out.
Service was great. Amenities were great. Kids had a lot of fun. Drinks were on tap. Food was great and authentic but as Mexicans living abroad we were also expecting traditional ceviche and seafood cocktails.
We were forewarned about the potential trash and seaweed so no surprises there.

Visited May 2013
MayaChanBeach, Owner at Maya Chan Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
We don't serve ceviche for two reason. Most shell fish used to make ceviche is not local to Costa Maya. We only use fresh items. Most places here buy a block of shell fish from Sam's Club and call it ceviche. We have no control of its freshness and if its been frozen, thawed and frozen. Also, our menu is Mayan Based. Ceviche is not a Mayan staple. Glad you had a good time, but we just won't take any chances of our guests getting sick.

Fullerton
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place is amazing first with all people that work there don't remember there names but I had the best time of my life food wow real Mexican food alcohol the people where really friendly and nice I love everyone there wanna go back so bad is good price I went on the disney fantasy cruise and the stop a costa maya I book this on my own outside I didn't book it thru Disney people must do take your own tall to they don't provided but the rest u gonn have a best time (food and alcohol snorkel equipment and kayak is include with the price)

Elmhurst, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were a group of 9 widows taking a cruise and visited Maya Chan when our cruise ship stopped in Costa Maya. It was so nice to be treated like queens for a day. I cannot say enough about the excellent location and service. Eric was at our every beckon call. The food was great and the drinks were so yummy. I think it will be one of the memorable events of our vacation....I defiantly will be back.

1 Thank Lillian P
Richmond, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Me Oh Maya Chan Beach”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My Mother and I sailed on Carnival Legend departing from Tampa on March 17, we were originally scheduled to go to Grand Cayman but because of propulsion issues we were notified a few days prior that we would have a port change. When I read that we were going to be going to Costa Maya, I immediately thought of Maya Chan, as I had read about the all inclusive resort when researching ports. I looked it up, requested a reservation, exchanged a few emails with Mark, made a payment via PayPal, then only had to wait the week to get there.

Transportation is included to and from the resort, we had only a short wait before we were on our way. It felt like it took about 20 minutes to get there, and when arriving there are some bumps and you are on a sandy road for the last part of the drive. It's very lush with a very tropical feel, lots of palm trees and beautiful soft sand.

We were shown to our own palapa with ample seating and tables, even a cozy bed. The atmosphere is very welcoming, casual, calming, and very beautiful. We were given the rundown on where everything is, there are lockers, showers, restrooms, bar and seating area, they have snorkel gear, kayaks, floating chairs, but the wind was kicking and the water was choppy, there were not may of us there and very few were testing out the water. Boo we had to just sit and drink delicious drinks and walk around and eat amazing food in such a gorgeous place. Woe is me. Ha!

Despite the amazing accommodations, there are a few flaws. It is no fault of the resort owners, and they do all they can to cope, but there is a lot of seaweed and there also is a lot of plastic debris washing ashore. I noticed there was an article from the LA Times about the problem that exists throughout miles of beach at the southern Yucatan Peninsula, "The peninsula happens to sit along the path of regional currents that act like an aquatic conveyor, carrying a steady stream of plastic garbage from the Caribbean and Central and South America. Much of the flotsam washes ashore in and around Mahahual, a small but growing beach town about 40 miles north of the Belize border." It's in no way a deal breaker, and we noticed a man with a wheel barrow doing some clean-up, but occasionally there was the sight of stuff floating in the water.

That being said, we had a wonderful day, the weather became more friendly as the hours passed and as we were about to leave I felt that if we had more time we really could have ventured out into the slowly calming sea. There are a few dogs that visited with us, Coco and Winston and a few others and a cat, which made me miss my dog but it just added to the casual and friendly feel of the resort.

All in all I give this a 5 star rating, for my Mom and I we had the relaxing beach break that we were craving, and if you are a couple you will find it to be a very romantic and intimate atmosphere because of the spaciousness of the seating areas, and if you are a family you will be able to spend quality time without being overrun at an overcrowded and overpriced resort.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Dana B
Olympia, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the highlights of our trip!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We visited Maya Chan as a stop on our cruise the first week of April. We had such a great time! The service was outstanding...always offering more chips/salsa/guacomole and drinks. The lunch was very good too. We were extremely impressed with the staff! Eric was absolutely the best! He taught the kids to kayak and took them out snorkeling twice...my son and daughter loved him and were very sad to leave. The service at the bar was also good..very accomodating to everyone...my kids loved the oreo milkshakes. We would definitely recommend this resort...we will be back on our next trip!

1 Thank Zipnover