Blue Kay Mahahual
  • Beachfront
Porto Coral(Mahahual)
Hotel Beke(Mahahual)
View Hotel
All reviewscabana styledelicious drinkslocation is beautifulhot waterprivate bathroomgreat beachnice spotcruise portbeach frontcosta mayashort walkin towntaxi ridesea viewpalm treesfishcabin
Reviewed December 18, 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned, this resort is one one of the best locations in town as it is just a few metres away the beach and away from the 'central' part of town where the restaurants and bars are located. We stayed here for 4 nights and found staff to be friendly and helpful. We had booked a cabin with a bunk bed but they gave us one with a double bed, which was nice. However, I still don't understand why anyone would fit the cabins with waterbeds instead of just using a regular mattress. They're not the most comfortable thing in the world!

On arrival, we found that the cabin had not been swept and the floor was littered with sand, which makes me think that they didn't really clean after the last guest left. Considering the beachfront location of the cabins, they should be swept every day, as the sand gets everywhere and becomes very annoying. Someone had thrown noodles in the shared bathroom sink, and in the sink they stayed for the 4 days we were there. All surfaces were very sticky too for some reason. Plastic bags, clothes, and pretty much everything kept getting stuck to the walls and shelves. The door kept jamming too and part of the inner frame had come off and not been fixed.

It was nice to have a chair on the porch, but be aware that when it rains the porch kind of floods and becomes unusable. This could also be easily fixed by paying more attention to the construction of the roof.

WiFi connection is only available in the lobby by reception and not in the cabins. This would not be so bad if it wasn't because guests (and even the owners) choose the area to indulge in their chain smoking sessions. Very unpleasant and probably against non-smoking laws too. There should be no need to ask people not to smoke in a public area.

It got cold during the last night we were there and when I went to reception to get an extra blanket the first thing I was asked is whether I had left my ID with them. I was most definitely NOT going to steal a heavy blanket and carry it with me during a 4-month trip around hot and sticky Central America.

All in all, a nice place to stay with decent rates if you book online, but I would expect more for the price they charge.

Room Tip: Apparently they also have a dormitory with beds starting at 150 pesos, although they don't advertise it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Blue Bay park for one night while on my bike trip. The cabins were simple but I thought they were great! Only two complaints about my stay was the waterbed (not sure if they're in every cabin)? And the fact that the cabins had no Internet. The staff were friendly and some spoke English well. The price was right (300 pesos) but I was there in the off season so not sure if its always this price? The cabins closer to the beach are 500 pesos I think. Overall a very nice place with a great beach. I would come back for sure.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Hello!!

Thanks a lot for your review of your stay in Koox Blue Bay :). We are very happy to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
We will take into account the issue of the water and internet and we are looking forward to welcome you very soon again!

Best regards!!

Koox Blue Bay Bungalows Team

Reviewed August 22, 2013

stayed one night in a cabana here after a quick check of the available properties. I do not regret the decision to select Blue Bay Mahahual. It seems to have the most attractive beach option of the area, the staff was helpful, the restaurant food and service satisfactory or better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Robert,

Thank you so much for your review of your stay at Koox Blue Bay Cabañas. We are delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us, the food and all our facilities.

Thank you for chosen us for your holidays in Mahahual and we look forward to welcome you again very soon!

Best regards!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at Blue Bay in late April in our 27' Airstream trailer. They were very nice, helpful, and spoke English. Their location is the best in the area, and their beach is gorgeous. We had lunch and the service was great, the food yummy. Since it was low season we were able to park by reception though I think they usually have RV's park in a back area behind the bungalows which we would do if necessary just to be able to use their facilities. There are very few RV parks in the area, so this is a real find.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Sirs!
Thanks a lot for your review of your stay at Koox Blue Bay Bungalows!
We are very happy to know that you can use our RV Pak, and you enjoy our bungalows and beach!

We look forward to welcome you again soon!

Best regards!

Koox Blue Bay Bungalows Team

Reviewed May 19, 2013

While I am a fan of rustic, I still expect cleanliness and basic services like towels and soap.
Mahahual is beautiful and the cabañas of Blue Bay are right on the beach. The smaller cabins are perfect for the budget traveller or for a night or 2 of "adventure", but there are better establishments of the same kind in the area.
We stayed in one of the bungalows with a kingsize bed, which was the only good feature of the room. The shower was warm but weak and the place looked as if it hadn't been cleaned since the last guest left. No towels or soap until we asked and went to get them.
We stayed in two other cabaña hotels during the previous days so we had a fresh comparison to make.
We changed hotels to the Quinto Sole next door, which was four star comfort for a slightly lower price!!

Room Tip: The small cabins with shared bathroom are cosy and better value than the bungalows
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family