This Maya Palms is fabulous get away. I was there at the height of the tourist season and and after spending a few nights in the area of Playa Del Carmen, I was relieved to get away from the crowds, the overly manicured beaches and the kids dive-bombing in the swimming pools. The drive from Cancun takes about 5 hours through jungles with butterflys and iguanas on the sides of a modern well maintained road. There are quaint small villages and services on the way. Traffic was light.
The Maya Palms is very remote while offering all the comforts and luxury that you would normally only be able to get in a much more developed resort area.(ie airconditioning, swimming pool, full bar, electricity, wireless web and daily maid service.)
The hotel grounds are full of tropical flowering trees which attract a huge variety of birds whose song woke me in the mornings. The ocean was abundant with turtles and rays and the night sky is full of stars (which you may have forgotten were there if your from the city).
The service is fantastic and personalized. The sucba staff custom taylored the diving to my leveI and took others in seperate groups.
I have certain dietary issues that some facilities cannot satisify but this was no problem for the staff at the Maya Palms.
The Maya Palms is off the beaten track but worth the trip. If you want to be in a pristine natural setting, but also want to spoil yourself, this is the place to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secluded seaside resort 15 minutes south of Mahahual. Modeled on architecture of Mayan ruins. Air-conditioned seaside cottages, reverse osmosis water, hot showers, comfortable double beds, quality linens, internet access, freshwater pool, palapas all set within botanical gardens. 4 story pyramid bar, restaurant, and observatory with spectacular views of Caribbean. PADI Dive Center. World-class Scuba and snorkeling a 5 minute boat ride to the reef. Swimming, kayaking, fishing. Very private resort, within a gated walled compound. We have a three-night minimum stay requirement. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Maya Palms Resort And Dive Center
- Maya Palms Resort & Dive Hotel Mahahual
- Maya Palms Resort & Dive Center Mahahual, Mexico - Costa Maya