“incredible place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mahahual
Maya Palms Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #10 of 23 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Mexico City
“incredible place”
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Thank You tripadvisor for informing us about Maya Palms. True Paradise, and this is a fact. My family and I stayed at Maya Palms New Year’s week (ano nuevo)I'm from Aguascalientes Mexico, hope my English will be understand for all of them who really want to be in Mahahual. Maya Palms is the best in the whole Costa Maya, nobody has the facilities that this resort has, Restaurant, bar, swimpool, palapas, excellent rooms, snorkeing, diving, kayaking, bird watching, beautiful gardens, large beach and over all an excellent service. You feel at home, I will say Maya Palms Resort is Your home away from home, the owners Catherine and Doug and the staff Ken Pedro and the others makes You feel part of the family. They really take care of You, My son and I went to dive and the experience was so amazing that I will never forget it. Ken and Doug are an excellents instructors, they gave us sweet ginger before the diving to prevent get sick on the boat, and this really works. My son and I saw turtles,beautiful mantaray, hills of corals, just amazing marine life. Catherine and Pedro gave to my wife and my other son who stayed at the pool excellent service, while we were diving. The food was so good that you are looking forward for the next meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner out of this world. One nigth they prepared Chayote soup, kind of a potato in green color, an excelletn chaya salad (a mayan dish) and sea food chile rellenos, ( a big pepper filled with seafood) I remember this food and I want to go back there. My children had fun with the dogs, Maya palms pets, Nemo, Chaparro and Barnie. Facilities very clean, amazing gardens, amazing buildings, dive equipment very well care, wireless internet, , I really can't ask for more in this vacation. Maya Palms Resort is to enjoy, relax, and have fun. My family and I are planning to return with more relatives next year

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the chachalacas in the morning(local bird call)
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank mayandiver

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 6, 2008

My husband and I spent a wonderful five nights at the Maya Palms Resort in the week between Christmas and New Years. As we drove into Majahual from Tulum, I realized that hurricane Dean had more than just affected the town, it pretty much decimated it. Miles of mangrove forest were mangled, torn down and stripped of all green leaves, many hotels and buildings were still broken down, and worst of all, the cruise ship pier had been destroyed so the town had gone from thousands of residents to perhaps a couple hundred. It felt like a ghost town.

With some trepidation, we finally found the Maya Palms and were relieved to see Doug jump out of the office and welcome us with a smile. He showed us to a wonderfully comfortable room in a villa surrounded by meticulously re-planted trees and flowers. The whole resort was super quiet and then we realized that we were the only guests. We're from the big city and we panicked a bit at the isolation -- it is six miles from what is already a very small town. Note: I would highly recommend renting a car for this hotel if you want to do some sightseeing nearby.

After we calmed down, were served a wonderful meal by Pedro, and asked about a dozen times if there was anything we needed, we decided that we could and should relax and enjoy this unique experience. Not only did we do so, over the next days, we proceeded to fall in love with the resort and felt so honored to get to know all of our hosts -- Doug, Catherine, Pedro, and Ken. They and the three dogs became like family! When many more guests arrived a few days later, I was actually kind of sad!

Rooms are super comfortable, well appointed and very clean with air conditioning and fresh drinkable water. Little touches such as the cheerful red bedding, fresh flowers, board games and huge thick beach towels made everything even more nice and relaxing. The freshwater pool was nice as the beach was not the broad white sandy vision we experienced in Tulum. Satellite radio and wireless internet access provided connectivity to a world we thought about less and less as our stay went on.

Diving was the best part of the trip for me - the reefs were amazing and Doug and Ken were great underwater hosts and the photos Doug took were an unexpected treat!

Catherine and Pedro provided all gourmet (and I mean gourmet) meals and all hosts provided great stories, laughter and conversation. NYE is actually our anniversary and they bought lobster for a special seafood pasta dinner even gave us their prized collected stones in a heart shape as a present. The resort is great, the diving expertise even better, but the obvious care and pride that Doug and Catherine have in Maya Palms made this experience and stay one of my most memorable ever.

I give this location my highest recommendation!

• Liked — The hosts!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank aksim
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We had wanted to visit this property since it was the "Maya Ha" dive center. The new owners, Catherine and Doug, are doing a magnificent job, especially in the wake of Hurricane Dean, in restoring and running the most relaxing, beautiful dive resort that I have yet visited.

The rural "jungle meets the beach" environment, combined with the wonderful food, and the total pampering by the staff, gave us the Carribean experience that we had been hoping for. The diving was over pristine reefs just 5 minutes from the hotel. The snorkeling was as good; and the beachcombing was another great find.

The town of Majahual is coming back from the Hurricane, and the beautiful Cenote Azul in Bacalar is just an hour away.

This is not the party in Cozumel or Cancun; but if you want isolation and elegant treatment, combined with the beauty of the Costa Maya, then the Maya Palms fits your desires perfectly.

We will be back next year, as we have found our refuge in paradise.

• Liked — The attentiveness of the staff
  • Disliked — The reconstruction from Hurricane
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank osohub
Jacksonville
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We had only one day to spend at Maya palms, and it was super. We arrived in Costa Maya by cruise ship, and took a taxi to the resort. The staff was great, the diving was awesome. We had the resort all to ourselves, it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Daredivers
Imperial, MO
Reviewed August 2, 2007

We didn't know if we would like being at a remote location, however, after getting there it was like being in an Oasis in the middle desert or in our case a jungle. The resort mimics a Mayan village. The rooms were nice, clean and had ample storage space. Most of our time was spent around the pool, bar, restaurant and of course scuba diving. We went diving on pristine Caribbean reefs (our main reason for going to a remote location) that were only 5 to 15 minutes from the resort. After diving we took the kyaks out to the first reef. Rodrigo and Pedro never prepared a meal that we were dissatisfied with. In fact we wanted to take them home with us. One day the weather was bad. We couldn’t go diving but the resort took us to Cenote Azul in Bacalar and a local Maya ruins. A must for all vacationers (diver & non-diver). If you want to go somewhere where the diving is great, you feel like your part of the family (they went out of their way to take care of you), relaxation is key, then go to Maya Palms.

• Liked — being taken care of and the diving
  • Disliked — bugs, that time of the year.......bugs at home too
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
12 Thank DivingBear2
Saint Louis, MO
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We drove to Majahual from Saint Louis. Getting to the resort was easy -- roads are fine. Our room was very nice, spacious, plenty of shelves and counter space to put diving gear and be organized.

The food was excellent. Rodrigo made everything just as we liked, accomodating my vegatarianism very nicely. We were always very full. Good agua de jamaica.

Diving was 2 tanks a day by boat. The reef was very nice -- lots of swim throughs, healthy; we saw turtles, moray eel, nurse shark, lobsters, rays, and lots of fishies.

Be prepared to do combat with legions of mosquitos.

• Liked — Diving
  • Disliked — Mosquitos
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank deemka
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We spent our day at port at Maya Palms. This is a very secluded resort. Very beautiful setting. We enjoyed the relaxation that the resort offered, we were 4 of maybe 8 visitors on this day...very peaceful. Lunch and drinks were served promptly upon arrival. Drinks were refilled throughout the day at our request. Did a little snorkeling just off the beach and also took the sea kyak out for a spin. Daughter enjoyed the fresh water pool. All enjoyed relaxing in the hamocks and poolside lounges. A great day at a great price.

• Liked — Away from the crowds...relaxing!
  • Disliked — Not enough time to spend there!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family