“Great relaxing trip. Had the resort all to ourselves!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maya Palms Resort & Dive Center

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mahahual
Maya Palms Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #10 of 21 Mahahual B&B and Inns
“Great relaxing trip. Had the resort all to ourselves!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

My wife and I had the fortunate opportunity to be the only guests the week we were there! We were spoiled! Mark saw to all our needs. The accommodations were excellent! Hospitality unequaled. The food, delicious! We felt as if we were living at someone's Mexican Villa, with our own personal wait staff. Ken provided us with an intimate diving experience. Hawks Bill Turtles, Stingray, Sea Cucumbers, Lobsters, as well as many other undersea critters I could not name. Ken put on quite a display of Lionfish Hunting, personally dispatching a dozen or two to another realm.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Gstrehlow

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Snoqualmie, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

If youre looking to get away from the massive crowds of cruisers to a serene place slightly away from all the madness, Maya Palms will definitely satisfy. It was an easy 20 minute cab ride thru town which was a nice exposure to the local scene. I reccomend getting the cab driver to stop on the way at a local roadside eatery/bar so you can score some fresh conch and a beer. once you reach Maya Palms, Mark greets you like Ricardo Montalban in fantasy Island. Nothing but plush accomodations and first class service. The mexican platter lunch was amazing. Could only imagine how good the shrimp would have been.Thanks for the frijoles recipe! Mark knows his was around the kitchen. The pictures on the site are accurate and accomodations are even better in person, Im glad I researched this place and took the leap of faith and you will also. When we were there, we had the whole place to ourselves. Talk about relaxing! A guy carved a coconut for each of us and had fresh cocnut water out the tap. sweet. Since this place is ecofriendlym they do run off the grid and some things such as ice are a luxury. They had plenty for our margaritas but i bet showing up with a bag or two of ice will get ya some perks. Especially if you like frozen blended drinks like we do. Felt bad eating all his ice supply. Our dive master was super chill and knowledgeable and they take care of all your gear. I can go on an on...Point is I cant wait to go back and stay a week and truly GET AWAY and relax. and yes they have freewifi if ya have to stay in touch. And youre only a short drive from Tulum if you want a day trip to swim in Cenotes, hit the beach, and see some ruins. Thanks again guys.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Adamsmasher
Ashland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

After reading about the dive excursion on the Maya Palms website it sounded like the perfect day for a cruise stop in Costa Maya. My husband and I are both experienced divers and we dive at every port. We almost always book separately from the ship to get a better experience. The Maya Palms resort was a 25 minute drive from the cruise ship down a sand/pavement road with a lot of pot holes. The drive was neat as you get to see the town of Mahahual and it cost $20 each way. The resort is beautiful with a nice entry, landscaped paths to get around, nice mosaic chairs, a pool, 2 hammocks and the view from the top of the pyramid is expansive. The host tried really hard to ensure you had a good time. This is where the good part of the review ends though.

We came to enjoy a nice resort, but mainly to dive. Our time at port in Costa Maya was short, but from our arrival at Maya Palms to our departure we had over 5 hours. That should be plenty of time for 2 dives and a lunch. However after our arrival we waited for almost 2 hours before going diving. As we were setting up gear the other couple that were diving asked the d.m. Ken at least 4 times if they should rent wet suits or would they be warm enough in swim suits. Ken ignored there question a couple times and once asked where they were from and then said they would be fine. This was a bit of a red flag to us as the water temp was 79, warm water but we had been diving in it the last 3 days with full 3mm wet suits and we wouldn't have wanted to be without them. If a diver asks multiple times about it, I would think to err on the side of caution and rent them a wet suit. For the dive we went out on 2 small boats because there big boat is not in service. The dive was pretty good, it seemed like there were swim throughs we could have been doing and weren't for some reason. One unbelievable event happened during this dive, the d.m. Ken broke off chunks of sponges two times. He crumbled it up and fed it to fish. We couldn't believe this! We have a don't touch policy and breaking off pieces of reef is unthinkable to us. See our photos for where he took the sponge and we saw many more of these along the dive probably from previous Ken dives.

In between dives we should of had our Mexican Platter as was advertised. The host came over and told us it would be ready in about 15 minutes when we got back. After those 15 minutes we were then informed that no we would not be taking a break, but we would be going back out diving. It seemed like we were already running out of time and we did want to do 2 dives, so we went back out. Once again we took out two little boats with Ken in the other boat. After our first dive we were told by Ken to leave our gear in the boat and they would switch it for us. Now we normally always check our gear and do this ourselves, but with the weird rushing around and the boats being anchored off shore we hadn't done this. Good reminder, always check your own gear. We got out to the dive site and put on our gear. My husband turned on my tank and I checked all my regulator, octo, etc.. Then the guy next to him turned on my husband tank. As husbands tank was turned on the sound of air gushing out came. It was turned off and we checked the o-ring, it was fine. Turns out the valve on the tank wasn't compatible with husbands regs. The d.m. had the only gear that would work with the valve and he was in the other boat so it took 15 minutes to have him swim over and then swap tanks. Finally we get into the water. The seas were rough so we descended right away after the okay signal at the surface. 2 breaths into my decent I had no air. I look for my husband who was a few feet below me looking down. So I banged on my tank while surfacing. When I got up I orally inflated my bc and then husband came up and turned on my tank. We decided to continue the dive and began our decent again. When I looked down Ken was swimming away on the reef with the other divers, totally oblivious to what happened. This dive was only 35 minutes because we had to get back to meet our taxi and go to the ship. After we surfaced I found out that the boat captain had turned off my air as I was sitting on the edge of the boat waiting to roll in. No idea why he did this other than that he had no dive training.

When we got back to the resort it was already the time we had scheduled with the taxi driver to pick us up. The host did have some food for us which was nice, but we didn't have any time to enjoy it.

In the end while the facilities and the host were good, I would not return or recommend the Maya Palms because of the dive shop and dive master. The schedule was do nothing for 2 hours and then rush, rush, rush and safety was not a priority.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caymantiga
Millbrae, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We found Maya Palms by using a Google search for dive locations in Coast Maya. We were arriving by cruise ship and wanted to be away from the typical tourist locations. My husband sent an internet inquiry and received very prompt correspondence from the owners in St Louis. As the owners of the resort were from the US it put my husband’s fears a bit at ease as he is not a fan of visiting Mexico. We booked our dives and we were sent VERY detailed information as to how to get to the resort, what to bring and what to expect. NOTE: If you arriving by cruise ship, follow the directive to get a yellow taxi outside of the terminal. They will try to keep you or require you to take one of the taxi’s in the terminal but they will not guarantee your return to the terminal. The yellow taxi’s outside of the terminal will. (We made this mistake)
When we arrived at the resort, after a 15 – 20 minute taxi ride down a dirt road, we were greeted by Mark. Although I do not know Mark’s official title I would have to say he is the “do it all man”. He not only acted like the doorman (it is a gated/private resort so he had to greet us at the front gate), he was the above water tour guide, cook, concierge, waiter, bartender, admin person and photographer. Of the entire week either on the cruise ship or at any stop, Mark was the one person who provided us the most AMAZING customer service the entire week – Thank you, Mark!
Mark toured us around the grounds and introduced us to the dive shop manager – Ken. Although Ken is the dive shop manager he too is a “do it all man”. He is also an underwater tour guide, cook, waiter, bartender, mason, maintenance tech and water purifier man. Ken and his assistant also provided superb customer service and were very knowledgeable as to where the dive site are.
We took our first dive Ken took us on a “Lion Fish Safari”. Ken displayed great concern for “his ocean” and was able to eliminate some reef inhibitors as needed (divers should know what I am talking about..….). We came back from shore where Mark served is a great local lunch of pork taco’s, beans and rice. It was the best food we had all week (including on the cruise ship). We took our second dive which was even better than the first. The reef’s are very protected allowing the coral and sea fans to be rather large and the abundance of sea life was great. On the two tours we saw HUGE lobsters, French angle's, rays, eels, lion fish (unfortunately too many), puffer fish, barracudas, parrot fish and an array of sea life I am not familiar with specific names. I would recommend diving at the resort to anyone. Snorkeling is also allowed at the shoreline at the resort.
When we completed the dives and packed up, Mark had called the appropriate taxi for us which was there waiting for us. Although the taxi was waiting Mark took the time to show us a suite as we all plan to return for some more amazing service and spectacular dives in the near future. Thanks to Mark and Ken at Maya Palms we are able to reflect back on our time in Costa Maya as our favorite stop of which we cannot wait to return.
As a side note, the resort is actually beach front, has an onsite dive shop, nice pool with pretty cool lounges, an onsite bar and from what we were told their packages they include breakfast and dinner in the price. There are only 18 suites so if you are really looking to get away from everything and everyone this resort is definitely an option. Not counting the staff (and pooches) we only saw one other person on the grounds while we were there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Catherine B
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Well, my experience was just perfect at Maya Palms. I don't dive (which I understand is extraordinary there) but I snorkel and I was able to swim out to the reef each day and see an incredible variety of corals, sponges and sea creatures like I've seen nowhere else (including Cozumel and Belize). The resort grounds are colorful and tasteful, not gaudy and overdone like some big resorts. Lots of beautiful plants and all kinds of lovely birds. A real treat for the senses. Feels like home there and Mark and Ken, as another reviewer said, treat you like royalty. The night sky is incredible if you enjoy star gazing. Be sure to watch the sunset from the top of the "Mayan pyramid" - it's a grand view of the jungle. Oh, and the meals! Ken cooks incredible dinners with local ingredients - he's very imaginative, a real artist in the kitchen. Mark does great breakfast and lunch and makes some tasty cocktails. The Maya Palms is also a real bargain. Very, very reasonable pricing with no hidden taxes, fees, etc. I hope to go back again. It is a bit of a drive from Cancun but worth it to be in such a peaceful, unspoiled environment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Barbara F
Penticton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed at the Maya Palms for 10 days, arriving January 25, 2012. If you are looking for a huge, busy, impersonal resort then Maya Palms is not for you. Want a quiet, beautiful, tranquil, secluded paradise..this is the place. The tropical grounds with pathways throughout are very well maintained and the room was large and very clean. The service was exceptional. Mark provided fabulous meals for breakfast and lunch, tending to our every need.Ken is the dive master and instructor by day and gourmet chef by night. We left the meal planning to Mark & Ken & never had the same meal twice during our entire stay. Well done guys. We took our scuba classroom & pool in Canada. Doing our open water certification with Ken could not have been a better experience. My wife was a little apprehensive & I had equalizing problems. With Ken's experience, skill & patience we succeeded in getting certified.We felt totally safe & secure with Ken. The staff is attentive, easy going and friendly. A wonderful, relaxing holiday that we will definitely repeat...SOON.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Myron S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Won trip at bonne terre mine treasure hunt in 2011. Took trip in February 2012. Nice and peaceful. They treated us like royalty. The food was supurb. Rooms were cozy. Diving was awesome out of this world...beautiful reefs. Srted as stranger left as family. Definitely want to visit again soon. Big thanks to Mark, Ken and West End Diving for such a memorable time.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank willdogg1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahahual
Koox Quinto Sole Boutique Hotel
Costa de Cocos
Costa de Cocos
#1 of 2 in Xcalak
Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club

Been to Maya Palms Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!