“"Do you think we could stay here for about a year?"”

Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mahahual
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Let me preface this review with the fact that Costa Maya (Mahahual) is a port. Period. I think only 200 people actually live there full time and most drive or boat in on cruise days, so there is essentially nothing there except at the port terminal. I found this little slice of heaven through Trip Advisor. We arrived on 16 May, 2014 on the Carnival Sunshine. My husband and I have found that booking our excursions outside of the cruise line have been some of the best, and this was no exception! The great thing is the resort has a special day pass for cruisers and only allows a maximum of about 12 people a day. Our group of 3 and 2 others were the only ones there and we didn't even know anyone else was there until it was time to eat!

From the time I first contacted Monica at the resort until after we left the resort I felt welcomed and taken care of. For $59 pp the day includes: round trip transportation via cab to and from the resort, use of the facilities, open bar, and full lunch. The beautiful, serene beach and open air lobby are your's for the day. There are an abundance of lounge chairs, hammocks, and beach beds with plenty of shade if that is what you are looking for. It is quiet and peaceful. There is a little reef within swimming distance right off shore that is fun for a little snorkeling and if you're lucky their dog might even swim out there with you! There are a couple of servers to bring you drinks or you can go right up to the bar to order up something delicious. The lunch was homemade and FANTASTIC! I could go on and on about how glorious this piece of heaven, but you'll have to see for yourself to believe it...

On a final note: I accidentally left my iPad there and contacted them immediately. They found it and were more than helpful in shipping it back to me. I am waiting on it still, but am hopeful that it will arrive as promised! Thank you again Monica, Mayra, and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brynn N

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Went here a few days ago as an excursion on the Norwegian Epic. Cant say enough, it is quiet and sooooo serene. Not one of those crowded places only allows certain amount from cruise ships at a time. Drinks were wonderful as was the chips and salsa. You had a lunch time and the came and got you on the beach to come for lunch. Served chicken shrimp and meat tortillas and other fabulous foods. The ride to the resort is a little scary because they drive fast and the seat belts did not work in the cab. They had a dog visitor and he was friendly. The beach was the best and the service was great. So would do this again in a minute. Well worth the price and the beach. A must do if going to Costa Maya

2  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I am floored. In a world where websites and photoshopped pictures build destinations up to something that they can never actually deliver, Almaplena blew me away. Why? The beach, the solitude, the service and the atmosphere. I booked this for a day from a cruise ship and it was the highlight of the trip. I am now looking into booking a multiday stay there.

And the dog - he was adorable!!!

Thank you Almaplena!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank williamj38
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We traveled to Almaplena aboard the Carnival Dream. I'll admit, the cab ride was a little scary due to traveling so far into the middle of nowhere. OMG! was the ride worth it!!!!!!

Upon our arrival we were greeted immediately and asked when we wanted to go back. Um, do we have to?!?! We were brought inside and shown where the bar and dining area were as well as the showers and restrooms. Then we were shown the beach chairs and were told to pick anywhere we like. The next question was "what would you like to drink!!"

We picked chairs right on the water and our drinks arrived, and arrived, and arrived and...well you get the picture. When it was time for lunch they called us up to eat and provided us with some of the best food we've ever eaten, and oh yeah, more drinks!

We snorkeled the reefs which were huge and beautiful. I was very impressed with the snorkeling and would say it was the best of our trip. The staff was so friendly and went out of their way to make us as comfortable as possible. WE WILL BE BACK!!!

1  Thank Subieroo
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We visited Almaplena last week when were in Costa Maya on the NCL Epic.
The booking process was easy and efficient.
We got the taxi as instructed and it took about 25 minutes to reach the beach, We were greeted by the owner and shown the facilities.
The beach was lovely and quiet. As an AI, everything was included so we didn't need to worry about paying for anything extra. We spent the day relaxing in the sun. We would definitely go back if ever in Costa Maya again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I booked the day excursion at Almaplena Eco Beach Resort prior to leaving home for Costa Maya as one of our stops this week on the Norwegian Jewel. I had read reviews on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor and they all seemed positive. We love the places with no crowds.....and this place definitely delivered. You walk outside of the port area and the taxis are on the right and you tell them you need one that has an agreement with Almaplena ( as transportation is included in the fee as well as drinks, food and beach loungers). There is about a 20 minute taxi ride and I did not think the roads were bad at all as some people had reviewed them to be very rough.The beach is just beautiful with the soft powder sand and easy walk in to the water. There is some seaweed which is to be expected but the water was clear even thought it was windy with some high waves that day. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. It was wonderful to have no vendors trying to sell their wares. There were 3 others couples there when we were for the day.The food was really good...fresh guacamole and chips, first round we were served 4 chicken tacos, then 4 shrimp tacos then 4 beef tacos...too much food for us to eat, but it was all good and fresh with wonderful homemade soft tortillas. The only downside the day we were there was that the showers were not working and they were doing repairs, but I filled a water bottle at the outside sink and washed the sand and saltwater off before we left. My husband and I cannot wait to return here as this has been the best excursion we have done in some time. The owners offer a great beach day at Almaplena!!!

2  Thank Mopar59
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were on the NCL Jewel In March of 2014. Had been to Mahahual a couple of times before and was very disenchanted with the beaches on the main strip. Crowded, vendors harassing you and a not so clean beach. We found Almaplena on Tripadvisor and Cruise Critic and were so happy we made the choice to go! Took a 20 minute cab ride which Almaplena paid for and to get back too, unbelievable value. Transportation and an all inclusive. We arrived to a wonderful staff and were already set up on the beach with lounge chairs. 7 Ladies who love the beach, and we this beach is beautiful..white sand and crystal waters! The owner Monica and her beautiful baby daughter Sophia stopped by to chat and you can tell she was generally interested in meeting her clientele and wanting their experience to be the best you can have. Had a delicious lunch and more drinks then we needed. Overall the best stop on our trip..hopefully will be back again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends