“We were treated like family”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mahahual
Hotel El Caballo Blanco
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mahahual
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Hotel El Caballo Blanco is a beachfront hotel with a wonderful owner Tina.

The rooms and beds were very comfortable, we had an oceanfront room and the view was outstanding, the rooftop also has seats and a small pool and panoramic views as far as you can see.

We lounged on the beach daily and ate at the restaurant multiple times. The food and service was always top notch. When we were there, they had just upgraded the Wi-Fi and I was able to connect from the beach by the water as well as the rooftop, so the few times I was actually doing some work, it was very nice to be connected wherever I was.

My wife and I talked with Tina almost every night about life in Mexico and life in general which was fun. The whole week we were treated like family, from being introduced to other town residents and restaurant owners to actually playing poker with Tina and her friends a few nights that week.

We can't wait to go back as guests or maybe local home owners.

Room Tip: Choose the oceanfront rooms, they are fantastic
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank akleinga
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Im so glad you enjoyed your stay here and took the time to write such a lovely review for us. One of the hardest things about this is saying goodbye to people that you've enjoyed spending time with. Poker isn't the same without you! We all look forward to seeing you again either as a guest or a neighbor, it surely will be as a friend. Best to you and your family.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Based on Tina's (the owner) recommendation, I had the Chilaquiles and it was mouth watering down to the last cheesy bite. Also, best cafe con leche I've had in a loooong time (its REAL coffee, not that nasty instant stuff which seems to be the default coffee around these parts). Prices are very reasonable compared to the other restaurants on the beach strip, who exploit the cruise people like crazy. Other customers there ordered different fish dishes and lobster (I think tacos) and heard them mmm'ing the whole time. I wish I wasn't so full after the Chilaquiles so I could try some. Apparently its all fresh, caught that day.

I happened upon the restaurant looking for an internet cafe and so glad I stumbled on this place. Met Tina and chatted with her when she wasn't busy with other customers - really sweet lady, down to earth, makes you feel totally at home. The internet was really fast (unlike many other places in Mahahual) and the good vibes encouraged me to hang out for hours. I wish I wasn't leaving the Yucatan, otherwise I would definitely become a regular.

Her rooms are nice from what I saw and the rooftop has an infinity pool and absolutely beautiful views of the the area. 5 minutes up there, basking in the caribbean breeze, is all you need to melt into total relaxation. I hope I can somehow find my way back here one day and actually stay in a room.

Can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ronny K
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. I hope all is well with you. I'm sure your in some far away land on a great adventure. I hope you do find your way back and come and visit us.
Best wishes,
Tina

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place! Best place to stay in Mahahual Mexico. Tina, owner/operator, was born in NYC and has lived in Mexico for a long time. Wonderful host. Hotel sits about 50 yards from waters edge. Massages right on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Dwmoore
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such nice things about our hotel and myself. It was a pleasure having you visit us here. We hope to see you soon. Best wishes

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Knowing what Mahahaul has to offer, I wouldn't go anywhere else but El Caballo Blanco. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and spotless....not to mention the water pressure in the showers is nothing like you'll find anywhere else in Mexico!! Tina will make sure your stay is perfect in all ways and she has a wealth of knowledge about the area. The rooftop dipping pool is a nice way to spend a few hours or just relax on her well groomed beach. Don't even think about staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tisha50
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for us. I'm so happy you enjoyed you stay at our hotel. We strive to offer our clients the finest Mexico has to offer. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

There are many hotels in town that say they are on the beach but are not, this one is! From your 2nd or 3rd floor room you have a beautiful unobstructed view of the sea and can sit and watch the world go by for hours! The rooms are beautiful, clean and functional by American Standards ;-) The showers of power pumping out hot water, the linens are top notch, TV and cable and even a mini fridge for any leftovers you gather around town. The staff is available 24/7 and serves food and drink whenever you want it! The BBQ wings are the BOMB! Best BBQ in town!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie D

It's special clients like you and your husband that make my job a pleasure. We were sad to see you leave. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We enjoyed having you and look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for taking the time to let us know our efforts are appreciated.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Having been to mahahual on multiple occasions and having stayed in a few different hotels, caballo blanco was by far my favorite. It is the only hotel I will be staying at in the future. It has a gorgeous rooftop with a beautiful view and the owner was very nice and treated everyone who passed through like family!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank JessSLC

It was a pleasure having you stay here with us. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review for us. For future reference we now cater weddings here on our beach. We hope to see you and the whole gang soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We arrived in Mahahual without any hotel reservations or plans, aside from trying the scuba diving which we had heard was excellent. El Caballo Blanco is located directly on the boardwalk and beach and has two rooms overlooking the boardwalk/ beach on the second floor of the hotel with large balconies and lounge chairs. We did not look at the other rooms in the hotel as we were totally happy with these rooms. The atmosphere at the hotel, much like Mahahual, is very laid back and relaxed. The owners and staff are very friendly and welcoming and they live either on the premises or very close by. There is always someone around any time day or night to assist you if you need it.

The area is very safe to walk around any time day or night and the hotel front door is kept locked at night. There is a rooftop area where guests can eat, drink or lounge around, with a small dipping pool and bar. Best of all, Tina also owns the attached pharmacy and is more than happy to spend the time to find out what you need and recommend your best options. As most people know fakes/ counterfeit products are an issue in Mexico, however you do not have to worry about that here.

The restaurant makes amazing food and uses the original recipes of the owner and chef. The quality of food is excellent and the seafood is fresh. The waiter is very good and ensures everyone is happy. If there is anything you want they will get it. Since it was quiet season we had the opportunity to sit around for hours with everyone and just enjoy their company.

If you are looking for a small town where you get a true flavour of Mexico, with excellent scuba diving, fishing and beaches then Mahahual is definitely for you. It makes a vacation when you stay at a small comfortable and clean hotel where there are no hidden costs or surprises.

It says it all when a hotel or other business will go down the street to their competitor to get you what you want rather than sell you something that is just good enough (such as food, drinks and services) and when they show allegiance with the companies that provide you with the best service and are honest rather than the ones which pay them a commission.

A special thanks to George (the waiter) for inviting me to the old part of town to go out with him and his friends for billiards and hanging out. It was like I knew everyone for years. It was great to see the other side of town also. We were only there for three days but it was kind of sad when we had to leave. It was like leaving old friends.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing on the Boardwalk/Beach if any are available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank luv2travel9999
Tina S, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you so much for the beautiful review you posted for us. It was a pleasure having you at our hotel. I look forward to seeing you all again soon. To know that your efforts are appreciated is what we strive for. To have the opportunity to serve you and your friends was a pleasure. Thank you again.