“Nick knows all the best spots...”

The Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For beginners we have the famous fly fishing school, for advanced fly fishermen theres the guide service. Based on the best bit of fly fishing within a 10 mile radius, protected by the barrier reef the waters are gentle and shallow. On shore, a wonderful beach club with the best food and service in town. The perfect place for wives, friends and family to watch the fly fishing adventure. For those with experience ask us for guided fly fishing trips by boat to the nearby Tarpon lagoons and walk and wade up the numerous beaches.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed January 2, 2015

Experienced guide and fly fishing instructor Nick takes his business from strength to strength. This time my wife joined in and proved to be the best fish spotter in the boat. With a range of lagoons and beaches to choose from, Nick will easily match your ability with a destination to deliver excitement and action all day long. Interrupted only by his legendary sandwich, he will pole you to the best spots and take your fishing to the next level in pursuit of Tarpon, Bonefish, Snook and Permit.

All reviews
"lakes"
in 3 reviews
"trolling"

Reviewed December 21, 2014

I grew up freshwater fishing for large mouth bass in the Mid-Atlantic US and trolling/bottom fishing the Chesapeke Bay and Atlantic Ocean US. I had my first experience with flats fishing in Ascension Bay near Punta Allen with spinning gear. After I caught a permit that day on live crab, I was hooked on the idea of learning how to fly fish. The drive to PA is pretty grueling so I looked further down the highway and found Mahahual + Nick's website "http://www.westerncaribbeanflyfishing.com". Nick was very prompt in responding to my inquiry and encouraged any/all fishing questions. Scheduling was simple.

Nick picked me up at our rental house and took me up to Nohoch Kay where we kicked the day off with a verbal briefing and discussion about the origins and basics of fly fishing gear, casting, etc. After some basic casting demonstrations, we were out in the water working on my simple overhead cast. Nick tossed in some more advanced techniques as well and I'm looking forward to incorporating all of them into my cast in the future.

After the cast lesson, we went back in and Nick walked me through making my first fly......and then we went out and fished it.....I very quickly started to learn the difference between casting and fishing!! There's a big difference between just tossing the line around aimlessly and getting good line speed VS. getting where you need to be when the chips are down and something is closing in on you, regardless of wind direction. "Less casting = more fishing!"

We ended the day fishing back at the rental house where I was staying. My first hook up was a big Jack Crevalle, but it got off and I landed another small JC and then a decent size Horse Eye Jack....all on my own fly.

I fished once more on the trip with Nick at a different beach location and I landed my first Bone and a couple of small Pompano...on the same fly that I had made I missed a couple of opportunities to hook up on BIG Permit due to some rookie moves, but it was still exciting nonetheless.

Learning is easy when you have an excellent instructor. Nick's teaching style is incredibly versatile and he really knows how to read his clients. He did an excellent job passing on the tradition and putting me on the fish......even if I did mess up some incredible opportunities....I had a blast making those mistakes. I feel proud to be able to say that, thanks to Nick, I learned to cast, make my own fly and catch fish on it all in the same day. It definitely felt more like learning to fish with a friend instead of an excursion with a professional guide. Nick's passion for the sport is contagious.

I can't wait for the next trip. Thanks again Nick!

Reviewed December 17, 2014

Four of us recently spent a few hours with Nick learning to fly fish at the beach and had fantastic time! We were all first-time fly fishers and Nick proved to be a wonderful and patient teacher. Both he and his wife were very friendly, gracious hosts. Even if you not want to fish, I'd suggest you stop by Nohoch Kay Restaurant for a delicious lunch, cold beer, beautiful beach and some genuinely nice people.

Reviewed December 16, 2014

We only had a short time to fish with Nick,due to the short port time. My dad still has not stop talking about it, Nick was the best guide. My dad had never fly fished before. Nick was very patient with my 68 year old dad. I most definitly will take this trip again. THANKS NICK!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Tony Robyn C
See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I only had 8 hours with Nick and I must say there wasn't a dull moment. We hit up the action on the beach with no luck. So we went and fished the mangroves for a few hours. I landed all my tarpon, bass and there were more than a handful that got away. Nick helped me with my casting form and he pointed out my bad habits. "I asked him to" After the exciting time on the boat lol we headed to the beach and chased Bonefish and Barracuda. I hooked up one with one Bonefish with Nick's assistance. We then headed to were we started and I hooked up with a Jack Crevelle. I fought it for a good 15 minutes and it broke my line. All in all if you want a good fly fishing experience Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School is it. Nick goes above and beyond for you to experience fly fishing in Mexico. Don't be afraid to get dirty or get wet. THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO. I will be back for a longer duration. I must say Nick was not just a instructor but he makes you feel like two buddies on a fishing excursion. Great time Nick and I was honored to have fished with one of the greats.