“Dad had a blast”

The Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For beginners we have the famous fly fishing school, for advanced fly fishermen theres the guide service. Based on the best bit of fly fishing within a 10 mile radius, protected by the barrier reef the waters are gentle and shallow. On shore, a wonderful beach club with the best food and service in town. The perfect place for wives, friends and family to watch the fly fishing adventure. For those with experience ask us for guided fly fishing trips by boat to the nearby Tarpon lagoons and walk and wade up the numerous beaches.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 16, 2014

We only had a short time to fish with Nick,due to the short port time. My dad still has not stop talking about it, Nick was the best guide. My dad had never fly fished before. Nick was very patient with my 68 year old dad. I most definitly will take this trip again. THANKS NICK!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Tony Robyn C
"lakes"
in 3 reviews
"trolling"

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I only had 8 hours with Nick and I must say there wasn't a dull moment. We hit up the action on the beach with no luck. So we went and fished the mangroves for a few hours. I landed all my tarpon, bass and there were more than a handful that got away. Nick helped me with my casting form and he pointed out my bad habits. "I asked him to" After the exciting time on the boat lol we headed to the beach and chased Bonefish and Barracuda. I hooked up one with one Bonefish with Nick's assistance. We then headed to were we started and I hooked up with a Jack Crevelle. I fought it for a good 15 minutes and it broke my line. All in all if you want a good fly fishing experience Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School is it. Nick goes above and beyond for you to experience fly fishing in Mexico. Don't be afraid to get dirty or get wet. THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO. I will be back for a longer duration. I must say Nick was not just a instructor but he makes you feel like two buddies on a fishing excursion. Great time Nick and I was honored to have fished with one of the greats.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I fished 2 days with Nick recently and had a fantastic time… For any flyfisher coming on holiday to Mexico you cannot beat the experience of catching a bonefish or a big tarpon. Every fisherman dreams of big fish and my dream came true when I hooked into something that could only be described as a 'enormous'. We fought it for nearly 2 hours and got it close to the boat many times. It went through mangroves and under the boat. Nick had to jump in and free the line from snags twice. When it finally spat the hook out for no apparent reason we both just sat there silent! How big do you think it was Nick? I said… About 75lb...

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Met up with Nick for several hours off the cruise ship last week. I had such a wonderful time and Nick is such a personable and friendly guy. Really a great teacher and loves what he does. Shoot, I'd love it too! Fishing, teaching how to fish, talking about fishing, and all on the beach?! That's the life, my friends...

Anyway, I caught a yellow jack and a bonefish (unfortunately it shook the hook out just as he was close to grabbing it so no pic but it was a blast to fight - those things make really nice runs).

I'd recommend this to anyone remotely interested in learning the art and sport of fly fishing. More than anything, it was just great to get out on the water and so peaceful too. There's something about wading around in the serene waters hunting for that nice fish (of course, always practice catch-and-release where applicable).

I am looking forward to returning to Costa Maya and fishing with Nick again at some point... hopefully not too long from now!

See more reviews
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I fished with Nick 3 years ago while on a cruise stop. I caught a bonefish and a variety of other fish while wading in Mahahual. This time I returned for a week and Nick took me for tarpon on the fly. I landed 20 tarpon, 2 bass and a snook. I am obviously thrilled with the results but that does not start to tell the whole story of booking with Nick.

Nick emailed back and forth for a few weeks before our trip answering questions ranging from fishing to car rental and currency help. Whatever he could do to assist us in having a great trip. When we arrived and walked over to Nohoch Kay for a drink, Nick called out to us as we approached to welcome us.

Nick is a great guide and knows the local waters and fish better than any guide I have seen anywhere. He is a wonderful teacher and will make you a better fisherman no matter your current expertise. Most importantly fishing with Nick felt like I was fishing with one of my best friends.

We are definetly planning on returning to Mahahual and fishing with Nick will be a priority.

2  Thank Scott V