“Wish I had more time...”

The Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For beginners we have the famous fly fishing school, for advanced fly fishermen theres the guide service. Based on the best bit of fly fishing within a 10 mile radius, protected by the barrier reef the waters are gentle and shallow. On shore, a wonderful beach club with the best food and service in town. The perfect place for wives, friends and family to watch the fly fishing adventure. For those with experience ask us for guided fly fishing trips by boat to the nearby Tarpon lagoons and walk and wade up the numerous beaches.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Irvine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Wish I had more time...”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Met up with Nick for several hours off the cruise ship last week. I had such a wonderful time and Nick is such a personable and friendly guy. Really a great teacher and loves what he does. Shoot, I'd love it too! Fishing, teaching how to fish, talking about fishing, and all on the beach?! That's the life, my friends...

Anyway, I caught a yellow jack and a bonefish (unfortunately it shook the hook out just as he was close to grabbing it so no pic but it was a blast to fight - those things make really nice runs).

I'd recommend this to anyone remotely interested in learning the art and sport of fly fishing. More than anything, it was just great to get out on the water and so peaceful too. There's something about wading around in the serene waters hunting for that nice fish (of course, always practice catch-and-release where applicable).

I am looking forward to returning to Costa Maya and fishing with Nick again at some point... hopefully not too long from now!

London, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great, great experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I fished with Nick 3 years ago while on a cruise stop. I caught a bonefish and a variety of other fish while wading in Mahahual. This time I returned for a week and Nick took me for tarpon on the fly. I landed 20 tarpon, 2 bass and a snook. I am obviously thrilled with the results but that does not start to tell the whole story of booking with Nick.

Nick emailed back and forth for a few weeks before our trip answering questions ranging from fishing to car rental and currency help. Whatever he could do to assist us in having a great trip. When we arrived and walked over to Nohoch Kay for a drink, Nick called out to us as we approached to welcome us.

Nick is a great guide and knows the local waters and fish better than any guide I have seen anywhere. He is a wonderful teacher and will make you a better fisherman no matter your current expertise. Most importantly fishing with Nick felt like I was fishing with one of my best friends.

We are definetly planning on returning to Mahahual and fishing with Nick will be a priority.

2 Thank Scott V
Elizabeth City
5 attraction reviews
“BONE Weary”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My friend and I booked a fishing excursion with Nick during a recent cruise ship visit. Although we booked as his only clients I never expected he would keep us fishing almost the whole day. What a great way to spend the day. Best value for the money on the whole trip. Fishing was good, not great but that is what fishing is all about. My objective was to catch a bone fish on a fly rod and I caught two so check that off the bucket list. Also he only uses top notch equipment.

Nick is super guide and a wonderful person. Even if you have never fished before this is a wonderful experience just wading the shallows off of a gorgeous beach.

John from NC

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Best Bonefish and Tarpon Fishing in Mexico”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Imagine taking your favorite Montana or FL Keys guide with you when you fish a remote destination. That's what fishing with Nick is like. He's THAT good. and you don't have to deal with broken english or spooked fish.

I can't recommend him highly enough.

Add in some of the world's best Tarpon fishing and what's not to love?

Visited November 2013
1 Thank TheBV
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“1st Class guiding service”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I came across Nick's flyer in Farlows fishing shop, Pall Mall in London. I contacted Nick by email and organised to skype to discuss fishing options for a one week trip in Mexico. I immediately knew I was in good hands. Once I got the flights (£550) we built the trip around my budget (no need for a posh hotel this time) and what I wanted to fish for. We fished 3 days by boat and 1 days walking and wading the coast. Total spend £1,800 including boat to myself, guided fishing, food, hotel (El Hotelito) and rental car (Hertz).

Nick gave me a lesson first in front of the restaurant he hangs out at called Nohoch Kay. Casting a 9 weight straight into the wind, I learnt more in the first ten minutes with Nick, than in hours with my local instructor. The next day and we are off early to a lake about twenty minutes from town, 5 minutes later and Im casting at my first Tarpon. Nick has an ability to know where the fish are in water that all looks the same to anyone else. Uncanny. Third time lucky I landed a fish around 15 pounds. I was shaking with excitement as it cartwheeled around the boat. We fished 11 hours and I boated 6, jumped 15 others from around 35 takes. The biggest fish was the last. We thought about 40lbs, it got away second jump.

We fished Chetumal bay on the second day, the weather made spotting Bonefish difficult but we found some holding in a pond way back away from the other boats and foot prints. I had caught Bonefish before but I think by accident. Here we got to see everything quietly wading close to the fish and even watching them eat the fly. Biggest fish was a 4 pounder.

On the 4th day it was calmer so we chose to fish the beach, this was probably the most relaxing. We caught lots over 12 different species, mainly small Jacks of different types.

The December weather wasnt great but Nick carefully chose each days fishing based on the weather we were given. I am 100% sure this vastly increased success and is not a service you would get from a lodge or normal outfit. For anyone considering a trip, I recommend Nick and Western Caribbean Fly Fishing as the best guide and service I have fished with.

1 Thank Moto S