“Best Bonefish and Tarpon Fishing in Mexico”

The Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For beginners we have the famous fly fishing school, for advanced fly fishermen theres the guide service. Based on the best bit of fly fishing within a 10 mile radius, protected by the barrier reef the waters are gentle and shallow. On shore, a wonderful beach club with the best food and service in town. The perfect place for wives, friends and family to watch the fly fishing adventure. For those with experience ask us for guided fly fishing trips by boat to the nearby Tarpon lagoons and walk and wade up the numerous beaches.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Best Bonefish and Tarpon Fishing in Mexico”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Imagine taking your favorite Montana or FL Keys guide with you when you fish a remote destination. That's what fishing with Nick is like. He's THAT good. and you don't have to deal with broken english or spooked fish.

I can't recommend him highly enough.

Add in some of the world's best Tarpon fishing and what's not to love?

Visited November 2013
1 Thank TheBV

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“1st Class guiding service”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I came across Nick's flyer in Farlows fishing shop, Pall Mall in London. I contacted Nick by email and organised to skype to discuss fishing options for a one week trip in Mexico. I immediately knew I was in good hands. Once I got the flights (£550) we built the trip around my budget (no need for a posh hotel this time) and what I wanted to fish for. We fished 3 days by boat and 1 days walking and wading the coast. Total spend £1,800 including boat to myself, guided fishing, food, hotel (El Hotelito) and rental car (Hertz).

Nick gave me a lesson first in front of the restaurant he hangs out at called Nohoch Kay. Casting a 9 weight straight into the wind, I learnt more in the first ten minutes with Nick, than in hours with my local instructor. The next day and we are off early to a lake about twenty minutes from town, 5 minutes later and Im casting at my first Tarpon. Nick has an ability to know where the fish are in water that all looks the same to anyone else. Uncanny. Third time lucky I landed a fish around 15 pounds. I was shaking with excitement as it cartwheeled around the boat. We fished 11 hours and I boated 6, jumped 15 others from around 35 takes. The biggest fish was the last. We thought about 40lbs, it got away second jump.

We fished Chetumal bay on the second day, the weather made spotting Bonefish difficult but we found some holding in a pond way back away from the other boats and foot prints. I had caught Bonefish before but I think by accident. Here we got to see everything quietly wading close to the fish and even watching them eat the fly. Biggest fish was a 4 pounder.

On the 4th day it was calmer so we chose to fish the beach, this was probably the most relaxing. We caught lots over 12 different species, mainly small Jacks of different types.

The December weather wasnt great but Nick carefully chose each days fishing based on the weather we were given. I am 100% sure this vastly increased success and is not a service you would get from a lodge or normal outfit. For anyone considering a trip, I recommend Nick and Western Caribbean Fly Fishing as the best guide and service I have fished with.

1 Thank Moto S
Wiltshire UK
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Great afternoon catching fish!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

A bit of a mix-up meeting up with Nick by which time we didn't even have enough money on us for the fishing! But Nick didn't mind and was happy with slightly reduced rate (must be coz we are fellow Brits!). We skipped making the actual flies and got straight into casting lessons and then waded out into the sea right in front of the restaurant to try and catch something. My son and I had spent a day at Lechlade trout lakes back home earlier in the year - and caught nothing (we are beginners!) so Nick was under pressure to deliver some fish. He rose to the challenge effortlessly even though the first hour so went by without any bites. He took the two kids out in a kayak and my 12yo daughter caught two small fish (threw back) and 16yo son caught a Yellow Jack big enough to keep for later BBQ'ing! Then he ferried all 4 of us out near to the reef where we cast over some rocks and all 4 of us caught one fish each! He was desperate that we all had a good time (which we did - the kids particularly enjoyed it) and the excitement of catching something each was a big part in making it a success! My daughter also caught something big and fast (a bonefish?) but it got away before Nick could get to her! In all we were out fishing for about 5 hours. Many thanks Nick for a great afternoon.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank PinkNosedPenguin
Wrens, Georgia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Perfect Excursion”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I found this tour on Tripadvisor and because of the ratings and comments we booked it. Well I only wish there was more dots past excellent! Nick was fantastic! The school was fantastic. The location was beautiful! We will be back!
Before WCFFS, Costa Maya was usually a wasted stop. Now, we are looking at ways to return. We have our flies that we tied and hope to make a display with photos. We want to tell everybody about our fun.
Do yourself a favor, BOOK THIS TOUR!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank abroome
Omaha, Nebraska
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fishing with Nick. Not to be missed.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although we never really got to fish with Nick (weather and wind) he is the greatest. We drove down from Cancun our car battery died our 1st night Nick was a savior he took us to his home picked up his van and got our car running. He introduced us to many local people and kept us entertained and amazed. Nick's knowledge of the area, fishing opportunities and local activities is unending. While there he introduced us to Jamie the owner of Nohoch Kay who joined us several times as we enjoy his wonderful food and drinks. Nick helped us pick out a fresh caught Hogfish which the chefs cooked up for us. Delicious!!! We will be returning soon to fish and hang out with our new found friends. Thanks for everything Nick.

Visited February 2013