Review Highlights
Best family fishing day in Mexico

Reviewed July 4, 2018
anna861
Burley, United Kingdom
Fly Fishing in Mahuhual

Reviewed May 30, 2018
ChappersNJess
Toronto, Canada
via mobile

All reviews bone fish caught bonefish nick cast tarpon anglers species cichlids lakes mexico costa port mahahaul reef ship taxi
Reviewed July 4, 2018

As a fishermen on holiday with my wife and two daughters, I was looking to see what options were available for a half day boat trip that the whole family would enjoy. We found Fish 2 Dish on Tripadvisor and got in touch with Nick Denbow. On the way out we hooked into a Barracuda trolling but it fell off after a short while. We bottom fished three different reef stops and caught fish on all three. Jamie at Blue Reef prepared them for us on a huge platter in many different styles where were all delicious. Our favourite was the blackened fillet and the onions rings are a must too!
Nick was efficient with his communication and allowed us to choose the best weather day to go out. The boat crew were courteous and helpful guides, especially with our girls. The equipment was new Penn reels and Ugly Stick rods. Jamie and his staff at the Blue Reef were 5 Star we could not fault them and the food was excellent. For my family to go out on a boat and catch their own fish and then eat them within a couple of hours was a thrill. Great tour, great concept and I would recommend this trip to anyone.

Reviewed May 30, 2018 via mobile

First time fly fishing this area and hired Nick for a couple of days, plus rented cosy accomodation next door managed by his wife, Verena. Both were very hospitable and made my stay enjoyable not just with respect to the fishing but also local tips like restaurants and shops. Nick worked hard to get me into fish and caught diverse species such as tarpon, snook and cichlids, and also provided good advice for other locations when I was DIYing...

Nick also took my rod at the end of the day and proceeded to cast the entire fly line- first and only time I have seen this done!

Very knowledgeable and hospitable - I would not hesitate to recommend Nick if you are looking for guide and/ or accomodation in Mahahual. Book early as his schedule is busy..

Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

My son and I did 2 days with Nick. Amazing. My son is a novice and he still was on fish all day. I went yesterday and had more chances at permit then ever before. We started trying to avoid the bone fish there were so many.

Plus a trip highlight was so many cool and unique spots he knew about that were a cool adventure as well. If you want an epic day, book it with Nick.

1  Thank Aaron E
Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

Thank you Nick for a great day fishing while in Port Costa Maya as a day excursion that was not booked through the cruise line. We booked fly fishing on board the ship and the cruise fishing excursion cancelled. So glad it did because I was able to connect with Nick through TripAdvisor for a charter.

Nick took time time teach the art of fly fishing, the importance of casting and was patient while I learned to cast with accuracy. Nick knew the local waters very well. We were on fish within the first 20 minutes and sight fishing non-stop for 5 hours. Permit, Bonefish, tarpon... I’m already planning my next trip.

Be sure to pack your wading shoes on your next cruise!!!

Reviewed December 11, 2017

On very short notice Nick was able to set me up with Pepo and David a couple members of his team for two great days of flyfishing. The first walk and wade on the beaches near mahahaul and the second for tarpon on the lakes. Plenty of action both days! These guys know their stuff. Can’t wait to be back

Reviewed November 9, 2017

Nick provided a much needed fishing school to four anglers in real need of education. He and his assistant Jose (aka Pepper) were considerate, eloquent, and thorough. The next day they guided us to schools of Bonefish and Permit and Tarpon. Due to our ineffectiveness as fly fishers we only caught Bonefish but it certainly wasn't due to lack of effort or expertise on the part of Nick and Jose. This was a once in a lifetime experience with a world class guide.

Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

Nick Denbow knows what he is doing and has a deep passion to give others the best fishing experience possible. We took a chance on the basis of other TripAdvisor reviews and contacted Nick. Since we were only in port for the day (cruising with Liberty of the Seas), Nick suggested his new FISH 2 DISH package. The package included 2 hours of spin rod fishing on the other side of the reef, then a local restaurant prepares all caught to eat as fish tacos. Every level of fishing skill would enjoy this. The guides did as little or much as you wanted/needed them to. Our boys, 12 & 15, agree this was their absolute favorite thing we did AND absolute best meal we had on or off the ship. And you have to see the color of the water! It's very easy to get there/back from the port. Going there, 2nd stop on the port shuttle; returning, taxi. Both $3/person per trip. Get out of port and go see the real Costa Maya!

Reviewed March 17, 2017 via mobile

We spent two days with Nick Denbow. Both days we targeted The Elusive Permit for the first half of the day. We had shots at several each day and on our second day we were able to hook up with a nice 12lbs Permit. There were three fisherman at all levels and he was able to meet each of us where we needed. We were also able to find a flat with thousands of bonefish, where we spent half a day catching bonefish. I think we got 25 or 30. Found a few small Tarpon on the second day as well.
We have already booked our next trip with Nick, and I even started reading his Book today. "Fly-Fishing the Yucatan" We were also fortunate to be able to get some personal non fishing time with nick, and heard some of his fishing stories and even met his wife. As we said goodbye, my wife actually was a little teary eyed. She said "I hate to say goodbye to such good people, but we will be coming back."
We felt like their friends and we only knew them for a short time. Not only is Nick one of the best anglers in the world, he and his wife are genuinly good people and i think my wife felt that very strongly. Cant wait to continue the friendship and chase Permit for years to come.

2  Thank Bryan J
Reviewed March 17, 2017 via mobile

This was my second time fishing with Nick and I am now thoroughly convinced he is one of the best, if not the best fly fishing instructor and guide in the world. His skill set includes everything from teaching beginners to cast to finding giant permit, bonefish, jacks etc. for the more experienced anglers. His ability to located fish based upon the conditions is uncanny of not magical. Anyone that is interested in learning to fly fish or catch that one elusive species that has evaded them over the years would be well served by hooking up with Nick in Mahuhual. Tight lines and God speed Mr. Denbow. See you next year my friend!

Reviewed November 13, 2016

awesome time spent with nick. one of the best guides I have fished with. if you are doing 4 hours or 4 days. it will be money well spent. hopefully I get the chance to do it again soon!