“Great time!”

The Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For beginners we have the famous fly fishing school, for advanced fly fishermen theres the guide service. Based on the best bit of fly fishing within a 10 mile radius, protected by the barrier reef the waters are gentle and shallow. On shore, a wonderful beach club with the best food and service in town. The perfect place for wives, friends and family to watch the fly fishing adventure. For those with experience ask us for guided fly fishing trips by boat to the nearby Tarpon lagoons and walk and wade up the numerous beaches.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Nick provided directions from the Costa Maya ship terminal to the small nearby village of Mahaual. $2/person taxi ride takes about 10 minutes. 3 of us signed up for the fly fishing class and our wives and 2 children accompanied us and they spent the day at the beach. We were warmly greeted by Nick upon arrival. The class began with a short history of fly fishing and the basics of fly casting. Then each of us was provided a fly rod to practice. Next we were guided by Nick on how to make a fly using supplies furnished. We then used the flies we made to do some actual fly fishing. Highly recommend the fish taco's at the nearby Nohoch Kay restaurant. Overall, a terrific experience.

There are newer reviews for The Western Caribbean Fly Fishing School

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I'm a 30+ year experienced Walleye and Smallmouth Bass fisherman, and came to Majahual for vacation. While there, i decided to find some fishing. After talking with several locals, fly fishing with Nick was suggested as an easy, but productive fishing excursion.

In short, Nick is an outstanding choice for someone who understands fishing, but needs to learn the locale. He supplied the fly fishing poles, offered to let me make my own fly (i politely declined), then we simply kayaked out into the Majahual reef area, about 50 yards from shore. Nick spent extensive time explaining the technique we would use and the fish we were looking for (bonefish, jack mackeral, permit), and in about 45 minutes i had caught the first Bonefish of my life ( and my first ocean fish). It was fun! Wow, what a hard-fighting fish. And while fly fishing the area, a Permit rolled through our area, though we couldn't get him to take the fly.

I think the best part of the experience was simply how easy it was. Nick offers other fly fishing excursions into the lagoons as well (where you drive and pull in a boat), but for this event i simply walked down the Maldecon, kayaked into the reef, started to fish, and was catching bonefish in 45 minutes. If only fishing were always this easy.

Thanks again, mate. Hope to catch you next time i'm there.

1  Thank chucker1101
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife and I went fly fishing with nick during a cruise. We have never fly-fished before and with great instructions from nick we were in the water casting in no time. We have the best day, although fish didn't want to bite. The one fish that we caught was well worth it.

This is a great trip for anyone, from the pros right now the the person who has not fish much in their lives like me.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I made email contact with Nick before our cruise. He was very generous with his time. Given my time constraints and his booked calendar I didn't actually get to charter his services. But I walked down from the beach where our crowd was playing around, we talked for a while, he gave me some advice, even GAVE me some flies (when it was clear the lures I had brought with me were inappropriate). And I caught 3 bonefish!! Nick is a great guy - straight-shooter, generous, knowledgeable, fun. Good combination!

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I've fly fished the Mahahual coast for the past 12 years and Nick Denbow put me on more fish than anyone I've ever fished with. He's an excellent teacher and a good guy to spend some hours with on the flats or back in the lagoons. If you've never cast a fly line he'll have you throwing line like a pro in a couple of hours.