“What a great company!”

The Native Choice Tours
Ranked #1 of 28 Tours in Mahahual
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Maya Shore Excursions for guests from all cruise lines.
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We were in Costa Maya last week and went on Native Choice's Chaccoben Ruins Tour. It was fantastic from our initial e-mail inquiring about the tour through the ride back to the port. Ivan, David, Noelle and the whole Native Choice team were friendly and knowledgeable.

Our group consisted of all women, so some were initially apprehensive about using a tour company that wasn't through the ship. When we compared notes back on board the ship, some of those who went with the cruise sponsored tour complained that it was really all just a big bus ride....while those of us on the Native Choice tour, had just the opposite experience. Our group was split into 3 newer passenger vans and our knowledgeable guides patiently taught us about the Mayans, as well as about the area.

When you go with Native Choice ask them to stop for the fresh pineapple when you go through the pineapple town. It's worth the stop!

1  Thank adventuregrrl

Reviewed March 8, 2010

After looking through what the cruise ship offered and not seeing something that both my sister and I would enjoy for our shore excursions, I began to do research online. I was very fortunate to stumble upon THE NATIVE CHOICE as it proved to be an exceptional day out and we could not have made a better choice. If you want to experience the life of the Mayan people, see the ruins, understand something of these kind and beautiful people, then you must take The Native Choice tour. You will have very good bilingual guides, comfortable transportation and very a very informative tour of the Chacoban Ruins site. We were in very nice small groups of twelve and after our visit to the ruins the tour took us to the home of a Mayan family where the ladies, dressed in their traditional festive Mayan dresses served us a wonderful meal made from mostly foods that they grow themselves: native fruits and vegetables and a very delicious chicken stew, all laid out beautifully on their patio. We were introduced to real tortilla making, and each guest had a chance to make their own and in a few minutes cook it on the outdoor grill. For my sister who has limited sight, this was a rare chance to meet and visit with the Mayan people whom I have the fortune of making friends with in past Yucatan travels. This is a trip for everyone, and anyone with any level of agility can do this. The cruise ship tours just don't hold a candle to The Native Choice, run by local Mayan people. You will be absolutely delighted and come away with so much knowledge and a truly "native" experience. Do not pass this chance by to be introduced to the Mayan culture! (and spend less than on the cruise ship tour as well....) February 3, 2010

4  Thank capitanissa
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Here is the review I submitted directly to The Native Choice's website. We booked the "Mayan Experience" tour. It summarizes our experience nicely:

Dear Ivan,

I cannot imagine visiting the Chacchoben ruins with anyone else. Having done one previous Mayan ruins tour in Belize two years ago, it is amazing the difference it makes to take a tour with someone so proud to share his cultural heritage. The passion with which you speak about the history, religion and culture is palpable and makes all the difference between just seeing the site and truly experiencing it. Thank you so much for sharing that part of yourself with us.

The chance to visit with the Mayan women in Chacchoben village was also something that I will never forget. They are all so gracious and friendly, and it is wonderful to be able to truly connect with the people of the area in a way few tourists are able to do.

Thank you again. I will definitely recommend your tour to anyone I know who is visiting Costa Maya, and if I come back I will have to book with you again to visit another site!

4  Thank SingingPixie
Reviewed March 3, 2010

On a recent cruise porting in Costa Maya, we had the privilege of touring the Chacchoben ruins and experiencing life in a real Mayan village through Native Choice.

To start, our tour guide, Ivan, was great. His father actually "discovered" these ruins and he grew up playing in and among the ruins! He knows everything there is to know about them and about Mayan culture, and he shares it with you.

I highly, highly recommend doing the "Mayan Experience" tour that includes a visit to a real Mayan village. We were served one of the best meals of my life by three Mayan women-- it was a true feast, and all authentic, natural ingredients. We even got to make our own tortillas.

Why do this trip over the cruise? Well, if you do just the ruins tour-- which is all the ship does-- it is about 2/3 the price. If you do the Mayan Experience tour, its still slightly cheaper than just the ruins from the ship, except you get sooo much more out of your excursion. Finally, you get to see the ruins when the masses of cruise tours are not there (or at least we did) so there was only a group of 30 of us with the ruins all to ourselves, instead of a mass of 1,000 people!

Highly recommended

1  Thank chillbroncos
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We chose this tour for our Norwegian Jewel port stop in Costa Maya primarily due to other tripadvisor reviews, so THANK YOU. The tour guide, Ivan, has a fabulous understanding and appreciation for the Mayan history and culture, and that made all the difference.

Ruins at Chacchoben are fascinating, all the more so with his explanations of what went on there thousands of years ago. The lunch visit to an authentic Mayan Village was a great experience for the entire family, including our 3 daughters ages 13, 10, and 8.

Everything very efficient and well organized; we would definitely recommend this trip to anyone visiting the area, particularly if interested in visiting the Chacchoben site.

1  Thank bradfordRyeBrook_NY