“Excellent tour”

The Native Choice Tours
Ranked #1 of 32 Tours in Mahahual
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Maya Shore Excursions for guests from all cruise lines.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

My guidebook said that the Dzibanche ruins were the best in the area so we booked the tour with Native Choice, based on the TrapAdvisor recommendations. Our cruise ship (Norwegian Sun) did not offer this tour. The office is about a 15 minute walk from the pier. The directions we received were easy to follow. We were promptly checked in for the tour and each given a bottle of cold water. Since everyone showed up on time we departed promptly at 8:30. There were six of us (3 couples) in a roomy, newish Mercedes van, along with the drive (Pedro), our guide (Erick) and a helper. It's a long drive to the ruins but Erick did an excellent job of telling us about the Mayan culture and other things about the local area. Pedro was a good driver and we felt very safe with him. Once we reached the ruins Erick provided a comprehensive tour. We were the only ones there! After the tour, we were provided sandwiches, chips and drinks. We were dropped off at the entrance to the port about 45 minutes prior to the ship's departure. An excellent tour!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,330)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"mayan home"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

This was our first visit to Costa Maya. I had read about Native Choice through CC and TA and decided the Extreme tour would satisfy my wife and I. We made if off the ship and arrived at the office without any difficulty. They provided cold water while we waited for the 3rd couple to arrive and off we went. Rose was our tour guide and she was so sweet and knowledgeable about the Maya culture, flora and fauna and the local history of the area. The ride to Chacchoben was informative and enjoyable. We stopped at a roadside pineapple stand for a local treat-fresh pineapple dipped in chili powder. The tour at Chacchoben was given by Erick. He explained in great detail the religious history of the site and the elaborate math that was used by the Mayan's in creating their calendar. The chance to climb these ancient temples really impresses you with the engineered marvels that they are. We then headed to the fresh water Bacalar Lagoon and the most spectacular resort for lunch and a few hours of kayaking, swimming and enjoying the sun and scenery. Edgar, then drove us back to the pier, not before stopping to pick a few leaves off an allspice tree and sharing them with us. They have a very pronounced scent and they are also pretty tasty, but produce a slight numbing to the tongue. They are used in a paste to reduce the itch of bug bites. We arrived back at the port with enough time to have a drink with our new friends made on the tour.

2  Thank 312islandbouy
Reviewed December 7, 2014

Don't miss a great day with Native Choice Tours. Our guide Rose was extremely interesting providing lots of information during the ride to the ruins. Erick did the detailed information during the ruins exploration and after we went to a most fabulous resort for a terrific native lunch. the lagoon is beautiful with clear water, kayaks, swimming and a relaxing setting. I would highly recommend to book a tour with them and ask for Rose as she made this experience far above expectations.

Reviewed December 6, 2014

We had a wonderful tour with Kasi, our tour guide and Anastacio our driver. Kasi provided with some excellent information about the Mayan people and the history of the ruins and how many of local people are descendants of the Mayans. Anastacio provided us with a safe journey. We would certainly us their services again as it was excellent experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 4, 2014

I travel for work and pleasure. My family has taken 14 cruises. I must say this was the best excursion I have ever been on. I highly recommend the tour.

Our tour guide Kasi was an expert in the area. She showed us copies of unique photos the archaeologist took during the excavations of Chacchoben. We were a large group of 8 people ranging in age from 5 years old to 75 years old. All ages loved the experience.

There were amazing and very interesting stories at Chacchoben
My son who is 10 took notes. As Kasi pointed to the ruins near the Mayan town and explained that a walk in the area would reveal artifacts and pieces of ceramics; My son said he just wanted to stop the van and explore. My son was inspired. He is writing an article for the school newspaper about his experience. It was so cool to see Kasi engage the 4 children in our group.

The best part was having lunch with the Mayan family and the warmth we received being with them for the afternoon. The food was excellent and fresh. The cooking process was explained in Mayan, Spanish and English. Most of our group spoke English only but the 4 kids learning Spanish so this was a great experience for them to hear the explanation in all 3 languages.

Some notes:
It is worth the walk to the Native Choice Office. Print the map off the website and bring it with you.

The entrepreneur who restored the main port area after a hurricane controls the taxis and tour operators who can do business in the port. Basically he controls everything up to the replica of the Pyramid. Just go for it. You will not regret that you decided to break away from the port controlled groups.

At the Chacchoben Ruins there were opportunities to buy snacks and Mayan crafts.

We went in late November it was cool. I would bring water if you are going in the warm weather months. I would also consider bringing bug spray as the ruins are in a tropical area.

Thank you to Kasi, Native Choice, and Dona Adela!!! I cannot wait to return and see you again!

2  Thank SBA546