“This place is awesome!!”

Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Mahahual
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mahahual’s premier ocean front dining experience. A unique cultural and culinary blend of the best of Mexico and the US. Our food, music and ambiance combine the tastes and flavors of both of these two wonderful countries. We are located on the Malecon right in the center of the downtown beachfront. We offer comfortable inside dining as well as tables in the sand, just a few steps from the beautiful clear Caribbean waters. Best food and conversation in town!
Orlando, Florida
“This place is awesome!!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

After reading the rave reviews before a recent cruise, I decided to take the family out to Mahahual for a short beach day. I didn't make a reservation but that didn't matter. There was four of us (2 adults, 2 small children) and we had no issue getting a couple of chaise loungers, a table and umbrella. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The beach was clean and beautiful and had all the amenities we could ask for. The wife enjoyed a relaxing massage on the beach while the kids played and I kicked back with some Corona's. The food was excellent and everything was reasonably priced. Steve even came out to greet us during our stay and all I can say is what a great guy. He very genuine and welcoming and you can tell he takes great pride in his place and it shows. While we were there, you could see the difference between the Tropicante and the rest of the beach side spots that line the coast. The others were ghost towns while the Tropicante was busy. That has to say something especially with two boats in port at the same time.

This place is a gem and we can't wait to get back for a longer stay at this gem. Thanks Steve!!

P.S. If taking a cab, be wary that drivers may in fact try to tell you that the place is out of business or that Steve was killed! Crazy but true. My advice would be is to have the cab drop you in the heart of Mahahual and walk the STREET to Tropicante. If you walk the beach side path, prepare for the onslaught of other aggressive spots trying to get your business which can be quite annoying.

1 Thank Zim72

Ontario
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had the pleasure of going to the Tropicante on our recent cruise. This was our second time in Costa Maya, the first time I just stayed on the ship because I didn't think it had anything to offer. Was I wrong!!
After reading several reviews on a cruise link I decided to go ahead and book ourselves a spot at the Tropicante. It was a quick email with a response that was just as quick. Since I had waited to book this I wasn't sure i could get a table but Steve was very accommodating and got us a table with an umbrella. Just what I had wanted. We are not sit in the sun people, we like to read and enjoy the views.
When we got to Costa Maya we followed the directions Steve had sent with the email, very simple, and was there within ten minutes of leaving the ship. We were quickly seated and our order was taken. We started with cokes and glanced over the menu. At no time did we feel hurried as I sometimes do in restaurants when we do not order alcohol. The wait staff just seemed to be there when we needed something, always checked in to make sure all was well.
Steve himself showed up at our table and chatted with us for a bit. He helped me connect to the wi-fi which was good as I posted a picture of the view I was seeing on Facebook, just to make my friends a bit jealous, and he also offered his phone for me to call home to Canada which I felt certainly went above and beyond. I took him up on that offer and actually made three calls to let home know all was well.
Shortly after we arrived it started to rain. At first it was a drizzle then a real down pour. With the help of the wait staff, we all just moved into the actual restaurant and waited the rain out. When it was over they helped move everyone back out. And the bill, when it came, was a quarter of what I had thought it would be. I had to check it because I thought they had made an error.
Rain or not, it was the best day I had on my cruise. Great food, friendly service. There is also a little shop inside the restaurant that sells used books at a very good price. I think she had some new ones as well however, for me, used was just fine as I knew they would be left behind on the ship.
And least I forget, I had a follow up correspondence with Steve and in it I asked him for his recipe for the Ceviche. I didn;t really expect him to give it to me, it was more a joke at the tail end of my email, but he replied and gave it to me! I know a few people who own restaurants and I can tell you none of them would have given one of theres away.

If your going to stop at Costa Maya come here! I can't wait to go back now that I know about this little jewel.

2 Thank Julie L
Los Alamitos
“Loved it!!!!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Beach is beautiful!!!!
Sand is white!! Water is crystal clear blue and tropical!!
Service is a home run!!!!
Everyone who works there goes above and beyond to make you feel at home. Anything you want or need they will go that extra mile to get it for you.
My sister had a small medical scare with her small son and they literally walked her right down the street to a American nurse who practiced in that area, she was able to examine her son and reassure her that he was perfect!!! She didn't even charge them.
Food was great!!! Drinks were great and PEOPLE were great!!!
Highly recommend!!?

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Limofam5
NC
“No Worries!!! Get off that ship and leave the port!!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Steve is the best and i am not kidding...first class individual, period

this was our second time visiting the Malecon and this time i decided to follow all the recommendations from CruiseCritic and make a reservation to visit Tropicante on our recent Carnival Dream Cruise. We are not new to cruising and like to book excursions outside the cruiseline...both for price reasons and for the flexibility.

Steve was quick to respond to my emails and reserved me a table...no deposit, just trust. He will send you an email explainig how to get to his place, details about the port, where the taxis are located, how much you should pay...etc. He will make it a troublefree and enjoyable time...no worries, like i said.

when we got out of the taxi there were 2 young men holding up a chalk board for the tropicante and it had several names on the board (like picking up a car from Hertz!) The said "come this way Mr. Mike, we will take care of you". You will only have to walk 50 ft before you are there....a very quiet, desolate beach, perfect for hanging out for the day.

Steve came right up to us, with his coffee in his hand, welcoming us to his place and chatting with us for several minutes explaining the day we will soon be experiencing....massages, bannana boat rides, jet skis....and of course, food and drink, everything is ala cart and you pay at the end of your day. He will have people waiting on you hand and foot...enjoy it.

Cash only....no credit card, this is a small beach side place with an open front...no A/C...very layed back atmosphere. If you want a 4 star resort, this isnt it but if you want a relaxing day without a lot of people, this is it. (there is the occasional beach vendor selling their wares but a simple no thank you and they are on thier way).

Everyone is friendly and Steve is a terrific host...the area is safe so get out of the port and visit Mexico!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank wangus
Florida
“Awesome day in paradise!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We visited Costa Maya on the Norwegian Jewel last Friday, Nov. 1. The weather, food, atmosphere, and service were excellent. The water was calm, clean, and beautiful. We reserved two loungers with Steve a few weeks before our cruise, and he provided excellent directions on getting to his restaurant and beach. He greeted us, along with the other guests, and was very likable and informative. He seems to be truly happy living and doing business in Costa Maya...and who can blame him? It's a little piece of paradise, and I hated to leave.

Many vendors came by our chairs, but they moved along when we said, "No thank you." The service was top notch. Staff members came by frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. We ordered drinks and nachos, and everything was delicious and reasonably priced. The beach was not crowded, so we were able to enjoy the day in peace. The bathrooms in the restaurant were very clean, and the wifi and free calls to the US were an added plus that we took advantage of.

We will definitely be going back to Tropicante the next time we're in Costa Maya. Keep up the great work, Steve!