“Great cruise stop”

Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Mahahual
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mahahual’s premier ocean front dining experience. A unique cultural and culinary blend of the best of Mexico and the US. Our food, music and ambiance combine the tastes and flavors of both of these two wonderful countries. We are located on the Malecon right in the center of the downtown beachfront. We offer comfortable inside dining as well as tables in the sand, just a few steps from the beautiful clear Caribbean waters. Best food and conversation in town!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Great cruise stop”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We wanted a relaxing beach stop in Costa Maya and the Tropicante was a fine choice. Cain, George & Steve took great care of us. We arrived via the outside taxi (this was somewhat of a walk - nothing too bad but we had two seniors with us). We were met by Cain who led us to the front row of shaded beach chairs - perfect! I had communicated via email to Steve that we needed shade but also be able to see the kiddos in the water.

We immediately requested two massages and a request to go on the bannana boat. I rec'd a deluxe massage for $25 (compare that to the $150 one on the ship). It was a little disconcerting when the masseuse sort of pulled my bathing suit down without much warning. The massage is set up in front of God and everyone but I was able to just let it go.

The bannana boat was great fun until we were thrown into the water. Oops - I forgot to tell my 7 & 9 year old & they totally freaked. I couldn't cojole them back on the bannana boat so the three of us ended up in the big boat while our family rode back on the bannana boat.

The time was so short. We headed back to the ship around 4:30. Sixteen of us ate, drank, got massages, went on the bannana boat for around $350.00. It was a pretty fantastic deal. We will be back!

Ararat, North Carolina
“Fantastic experience!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I heard about Tropicante on Cruise Critic and sent an email to make reservations in advance. Owner Steve, responded quickly confirming our reservation, and gave excellent directions to get there from the port. As soon as we got out of the taxi after a 5 minute ride, one of Steve's staff members was there at the taxi stand waiting for us and walked us to the Tropicante. Once there, Steve introduced himself and his staff to us. They were absolutely wonderful. My kids casually mentioned that they wanted to kayak around, and within minutes, a staff member had two kayaks for unlimited use for $20 total. The Corona's were very cold and plentiful and the food was excellent. We had 7 beach front loungers waiting for us, along with umbrellas and tables. Can't say enough great things about this place. Our only regret was the short port day as we would have loved to have stayed there all day. When Costa Maya is on our cruise itinerary in the future, you better believe I'll be contacting Steve in advance so we can spend our time at Tropicante. Best value ever - our bill was less than $100 for 4 adults and 3 children. We thought they had made a mistake with the total. Oh, Steve has his own brand of tequila and it is good and smooth! Lot's of activities to do - if you can think it, Steve's staff (special shout-outs to Chui and Cain!!!) will make it happen!

1 Thank rubberband1293
Chicago, Illinois
“Great day, wish we were here longer.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a great day at Tropicante! The only downfall was that we arrived by cruise ship & it left Costa Maya at 2pm. Not enough time to thoroughly enjoy ourselves.
Communication with Steve was great, very prompt responses. Follow his directions & you will be guided directly to the taxi stand where you can travel to Tropicante for $2pp. Wouldn't recommend walking as it's a bit of a walk.
We had front row seats to the shoreline & it was paradise. The water was crystal clear & I had no qualms about my 4yr old son splashing by himself since it's a gradual incline. I had an hour massage, which was great, and we also ordered drinks & lunch.
Only bad thing is that there are vendors constantly coming by but they will leave if you tell them no. Not so bad since I actually bought a couple of souvenirs.
Would definitely return if we're in the area again.

• Visited May 2013
Tolland, Connecticut
“AWESOME!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We loved Tropicante. Such a great value!!! We all had drinks, food and my husband got a one hour massage and our tab upon leaving was $66!!!!! This place makes Costa Maya worth the stop on the cruise for us! Thanks Steve!!!

Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
“Location Location fantastic beah front, great servce and great owners!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The service on the beach was a real Corona moment if I hadn't pinched myself I thought I was n the commercial. The meal we had on several occasions was delicious,i fact the waited to deliver to our beach spot untl we had come out of the water, now that's great service!

You have to stop by and say Hi to Steve, Maggie, George and I you need a book or a great story ask for Alan and Nancy. Nancy runs the book exchange in the Tropicante talk about looking after your needs they have it!

See you all real soon!