“What a day!”

La Posada de los 40 Canones
Ranked #2 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2013

A sincere & heartfelt THANK YOU to Miguel and Francisco for making our day at the beach an amazing & very memorable experience. We were crusing on the Carnival Legend and had Costa Maya added to our itinerary (instead of Grand Cayman) at the last minute. We are so thankful we found this wonderful beach club experience for our family of four (kids are 10 & 13). We were able to rent jet skis right there at the club, the food & drink service was amazing and the staff helped us get a cab at the end of our day that quickly got us back to port (on a very busy day in Majahual!). One of my favorite parts of the day was the kids saying "do I need shoes" when we walked across the road from the beach to the hotel - they are not accustomed to beach living. We will definitely go back for a longer stay if we have the opportunity to travel to Majahual again!

Room Tip: We did not sleep at the hotel, only used the beach club for a day. Based on our experience there &am...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 22, 2013

40 Canons is easily the best hotel on the Malecon in Mahaual. Three buildings sit on the beach and overlook the mellow waters of the Caribbean. Not 60 yards off the beach, the barrier reef attracts diver from all over the world. You can literally walk out to one of the worlds greatest reefs. The hotel itself has a large European Mediterranean influence, with many Italian, Spanish, and Frech folks both working and vacationing here. The building is pure white, clean, and has an open air motif throughout its entirety. No dank hallways, no dark alleys. Plant life is everywhere, and many of the rooms look towards the beach. It is reminiscent of the ubiquitous bright white Greek, Italian or Spanish villas hanging off the cliffs on the coast, but with wonderful wood and palm palapas over the roofs and decks, and brilliant Mexican food in the hotel restaurant. Mediterranean meets Mexico.

The restaurant is wonderful. They have perhaps the greatest fajitas aracherras I have enjoyed, and peppered into the mainly local Mexican cuisine are various Italian dishes. Elisa is the manager, and she runs a tight ship. On cruise ship days, food still arrives hot and is of the same quality. With less folks at the restaurant, you get a special experience as well, as the terrace looks out over the beach and ocean. And, breakfast is to die for.

The rooms are great. Simple, elegant, and practical, with a heavy dose of Mediterranean high class. The people only better the experience here. They are quick to help with any need, and don't shy from being approachable and kind. Watch out for this place. Once you get here, you don't want to leave.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great, especially on the east side of the hotel. Apartments are available as well...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a lively 2 night stay at 40 cañones. All the staff was super nice and helpful!!! Our room was excellent, very comfortable with its own balcony. The restaurant has a nice ambience infront of the beach

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank juanfeliped
Reviewed March 19, 2013

After the madness of Cancun airport during spring break, what a welcome sight was Los 40 Canones. Situated directly on the malecon, a few steps from the beach, our hotel was a slice of heaven. The exterior is stunning. Upon arrival, one can see the beach from the front steps of the lobby. Follow the central wooden walkway built over a shallow pool to the first floor rooms. The unique wicker lanterns suspended from the high ceilings added to the relaxed ambience. Enough about the building. It's the people that make this place memorable. Ciara, our receptionist, listened patiently to every request, accommodated all of them in her power to do so, and proved that charm and efficiency are not mutually exclusive. The food was outstanding, and the chefs deserve every compliment my taste buds can pay. The waiters were phenomenal. Special thanks to Miguel (AKA Big Wang) and Francisco for providing entertainment as well as outstanding service. The birthday serenade and the fiery Mayan coffee were unforgettable. I was part of a group of divers, which included Ann S. and DiveGuy1234, and so I can only add this footnote to their accurate, laudatory reviews. Well done, Los 40 Canones! Muchas gracias from Kelly!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was very hesitant about this trip location and hotel being so far from civilization and some what in the middle of nowhere.....however, I could not have been so wrong. The accommodation were clean, the staff second to none. With breath taking views, pleasant people and a small town atmosphere.... I had found my happy place. We were down for a dive vacation as a group and they were very accommodating. Unfortunately the it was very windy for diving not much protection but, when we did dive it was beautiful. Miguel and Francisco were second to none... hard working, late hours, beyond exceptional service, always very gracious with a smile.... 40 cannons is very fortunate to have employees like this...owning my own business I would hire them in a heart beat!! From the time we checked in to the time we checked out I was beyond impressed. We will be back and I hope to see some familiar faces!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Los 40 Cannones, This is the place to relax, enjoy and have a wonderful vacation. The hotel has a wonderful architectual design with soft curves and extremely clean environment, i was comfortable every single day I stayed there, and looked forward to always going back to my cleaned room with a different artistic design created with our towels. The food was so enjoyable, that we did not want to venture out to the different restuarants. The staff, we all fell in love with them, from the cleaners, receptionists and the unbelievable awesome and entertaining restaurant staff. This hotel was an amazing experience for my family and myself, they went above and beyond our expectations, whatever we needed they were always able to provide... we were made to feel like royalty. It was quiet and peaceful at night and lots of activities to do during the day. To me this is the perfect vacation anyone could ask for. I will never forget the incredible view we saw every day when we left our room of the ocean... the artistic interior design of the main lobby, flowing water ways weaving under the walkway and gardens intergrated into the scenery, an absolute must see...

1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here as part of a diving vacation package. We were late arriving the first night and the hotel kept the restaurant open to accommodate us after our 4 hour drive from Cancun. The food and drinks were fresh and tasty and much appreciated.

My room was on the third floor. It was spacious and clean and really almost cold. My roommate and I turned down the air conditioning and then ended up getting blankets to ensure our comfort. And I don't consider this to be a complaint, just an observation.

And although we didn't have an ocean view from our room, the beach was easily viewed from the terrace right outside our room. It was beautiful and I took advantage of the view every morning.

What I would have liked was a mini-bar in the room just for the sake of having coffee in the room without having to leave the room. But, the food and service at the restaurant were wonderful.

If I ever do return to Mahahual, I'll stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends