“Very interesting and informative”
Review of Coba Ruins

Coba Ruins
Book In Advance
$47.99*
and up
Viator Exclusive: Coba Ruins Early Access Tour with an Archaeologist from Playa...
$99.00*
Coba Mayan Ruins and Cenote Cultural Full-Day Tour from Cancun and Riviera Maya
$114.00*
Tulum, Coba Ruins and Two-Reef Snorkeling Tour from Cancun
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Coba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Coba (pronounced cō-bǝ) is an ancient Maya city on the Yucatán Peninsula, located in what is now northeastern Quintana Roo, Mexico. The site is the nexus of the largest network of stone causeways of the ancient Mayan world, and it contains many engraved and sculpted stelae that document ceremonial life and important events of the Late Classic Period (AD 600-900) of Mesoamerican civilization.[1] The adjacent modern village bearing the same name, reported a population of 1,278 inhabitants in the 2010 Mexican federal census.[2]
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this excursion through our tour operator (Sunwing Vacations) and had a great time. Our tour guide was right on time to pick us up from our hotel. He was born and raised in the Mayan village that we visited once we had left Coba, so was very knowledgeable about the Mayan civilization and the history of the area.

Coba itself was very interesting. I am definitely glad we went when it is still possible to climb the main pyramid. The view from the top was breath taking.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited several Mayan Ruins while in Yucatan and Quintana Roo. All were very interesting to the adults. However, Coba offered the most fun for the children. Unlike Tulum and Chitzen Itza, most of the Coba ruins were climbable (not roped off). The kids love it... it was much more fun than staring at a structure from behind a rope.

I recommend paying for the cycle/cart service (with or without children). You will come upon the cart service on the main path, after the first couple of structures. The cyclists were patient and let us take as much time as we needed at each stop. The cyclists are not tour guides, but ask them questions!! We took two carts (2 people per). Our two guys were very knowledgeable on the history and customs of the Maya... They won't off the info if you don't ask.

Go early to avoid crowds. Take water and snacks. Don't buy too much of the vendors 'hand crafts' you will find the same exact stuff at every site. Most of the Mayan Calendars, Masks, and Figures are made from molds (not carved from wood) and they will break no matter how you carry them back.

Most importantly, have a great time!!

3  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had visited this site 30 years ago and remembered being the only explorers. Based on the reviews, we expected a similar experience, but instead it was very crowded. The pathways are full of people on bicycles, pedal carts and on foot. You still can climb the big pyramid, which is really cool, but there are lots of other people doing it with you.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We took a guided tour from our resort, Moon Palace, to Coba on Tues Dec 18, 2012.

This was a full day tour from 8a-4p. We took a tour bus that stopped at the Mayan Co-op store to shop for traditional art and decor, then to Coba, then for lunch at a traditional mayan restaurant (included buffet, drinks were extra), then back to the resort.

I'll focus mainly on Coba!

*No bathrooms once inside!! Use it before you enter, you won't have another chance until you leave!!

Bring water or soda/snacks if you want. It is humid inside the jungle. Wear very good walking shoes. Bring and wear bug spray! Bring cash if you want to buy drinks or soda/water once in Coba.

Coba is spread out, not like other ruins sites like Tulum or Chitzen Itza. We walked around on the guided tour pretty much in the middle of the jungle. We were left "on our own" at the end once we got to the big pyramid. Our guide gave us an hour or so to explore, climb pyramid then make it back to the entrance. I've heard rumors that in January you will no longer be able to climb the pyramid.

We did climb it, it's incredible but scary! I'm a fit 30 year old female. My husband climbed it, along with my sister and brother in law (all ~30 years old) and my 60 year old father climbed as well, my mom decided not to! There is a rope in the middle that you can use... don't really see how it would help you if you lost your balance. Its about 124 steps up, the steps are large, uneven and steep!! When you get to the top, your legs will be jello!! Step back and enjoy the view of the jungle. I was feeling uneasy once up there, and when I went down, I went on my bottom step by step. I felt too unsteady to walk down. BE CAREFUL!!

You can rent a bike or a bike cart (someone riding a bike will pull you in a cart) not sure of the current cost.

Coba is impressive, and it's very cool you can still climb the pyramid (for now). I unfortunately don't know the name of the restaurant we went to. It wasn't right by the entrance to Coba but there were a few there. We went a mile up the road and ate there. It was delicious. Homemade fresh tortillas, rice, beans, meat for tacos, salads, veggies, fruit, etc.

6  Thank AArquilla
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Coba is a bit off the beaten path, but worth the trip away from the resorts on the coast. Huge place, though, so either be prepared to walk a good seven or eight miles, or have enough cash on hand to hire the bike taxis to cart you around. Be sure to spend a good four or so hours if you want to see everything. I'd recommend walking as much as you can, because you miss a lot when zipping around on the bike taxis. Pyramid is pretty nice. Higher than the one in Ek Balam you can also climb, but not as nice a structure, or not as nicely restored. Coba was once a huge city of at least 40,000 people, so the site is massive. Lots of ruins have never been excavated, so you can see some interesting things by wandering off the main roads down pathways.

3  Thank LivingInStereo