“Go early, avoid crowds and feel the atmosphere”
Review of Coba Ruins

Coba Ruins
Book In Advance
$48.76*
and up
Viator Exclusive: Coba Ruins Early Access Tour with an Archaeologist from Playa...
$114.00*
Tulum, Coba Ruins and Two-Reef Snorkeling Tour from Cancun
$99.00*
Coba Mayan Ruins and Cenote Cultural Full-Day Tour from Cancun and Riviera Maya
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Coba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Coba (pronounced cō-bǝ) is an ancient Maya city on the Yucatán Peninsula, located in what is now northeastern Quintana Roo, Mexico. The site is the nexus of the largest network of stone causeways of the ancient Mayan world, and it contains many engraved and sculpted stelae that document ceremonial life and important events of the Late Classic Period (AD 600-900) of Mesoamerican civilization.[1] The adjacent modern village bearing the same name, reported a population of 1,278 inhabitants in the 2010 Mexican federal census.[2]
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I didn't get there early so it's a shame all my photos have bus loads of tourists in them however this was my fault for dallying. We organised a guide AFTER we went through the gates, much cheaper. We did the 45min guide in the first plaza and then rented bicycles to ride through to the big temple. My 60+ father has had two knee operations but I was able to talk him into taking it slowly up the 42 steps and he did just that. He really enjoyed it.

Totally worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,433)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Totally worth it. We walked the grounds without a guide. Much better than the all day excursions. You can walk to the Coba Ruins (take along good walking shoes), and take a $2 bus ride back to the resort to get some exercise.

2  Thank Erin A
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Coba are great ruins to visit. The main attraction here in my opinion is that you can still climb the pyramid.There is quite a bit of walking if you want to see it all but there are bikes to rent if you'd like. Anyway the big pyramid has many steps to climb and they are uneven but the top has the BEST view in the world; just look around and imagine over 4000 buildings . I found it to be so remarkable. I recommend it highly.

2  Thank treetrippers
Reviewed November 15, 2012

A must! climbing the pyramid was a life experience and swimming in the undergroud cavern was super! Our guide was fantastic too!
Lunch was pretty good too!

2  Thank Lancealoft
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I loved climbing the ruins and enjoying the amazing view from the top.It is a very long day since you have to travel over 90 minutes one way to get there but I felt it was worth it.

1  Thank Blubirdy