“royal grounds, terrible customer service” 2 of 5 stars

The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“royal grounds, terrible customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Let's start with the positives. Nearly every server we encountered was friendly and helpful. The food is just average. The buffets have great variety and the items are fresh. There should be more top shelf liquor. Particularly vodkas (Smirnoff triple distilled was at the high end of their offerings). They could also offer DeKuyper mixers.

The biggest problems are the customer service and the front desk staff. Many parts of the resort have no air conditioning. The air conditioning has been out of service since our arrival two days ago. We gave a letter for the manager of the Royal to the front desk staff and sent copies via email to the corporate office. We have yet to receive a reply. They don't even give updates on the repairs to the equipment. The system's failure has rendered much of the resort unusable.
We can't even comfortably enjoy our room for sleep or anything else. We were told by one front desk employee that "all-inclusive didn't include air conditioning." It took this same staff 45 minutes to find our reservation. We had to call interval international from our own cell phone. We were told the staff could not make phone calls to the U.S.! Any business can have an equipment malfunction. These unfortunate circumstances have to be overcome with outstanding customer service. Royal failed miserably.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank AlanandAmber
Antonio P, Gerente at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear AlanandAmber,

Thank you for your good comments about our facilities, services and staff. We are working every day to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients.

Concerning the air conditioning breakdown, we are happy that it could be finally solved and we have everything working now, we are very sorry because we could not provide all the updates about the situation because we didn’t know where the leakage was, therefore we hadn’t the information of when it was supposed to be fixed.

In reference to your letter, as you still at the hotel we preferred to talk personally to you, apologizing directly and explaining the compensation that we are glad you liked and agreed.

Thank you again and for any further comment, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Alejandro Martin
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The resort is gorgeous and the maid staff, restaurant and bar staff were so nice, helpful and hospitable. I wish I could say the same for the reception at the royal suites. I stayed in a beautiful room but my whole stay I was without air conditioning which was miserable in the Mexican heat. I was sweaty every night and did not have one full night of sleep. The resort made no efforts to fix the air conditioning or to accommodate us. They just didn't care. The resort, pools and beaches were beautiful but I am very sad that the upgrade seemed more like a curse than a lucky chance.

Room Tip: Make sure any room you accept has air conditioning before you stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
4 Thank Jasmine B
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Jasmine B,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact the case of air conditioning already was solved.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Chesapeake, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The place is beautiful, but we have been without air in our room for 4 out of 5 days. The entire place is a sauna, you can not enjoy a meal anywhere. The food is ok. Could handle the bad food fs we were eating in comfortable surroundings. There has been no explanation for air problem and the Royal Suites front desk was not very helpful and weren't to thrilled to provide us with fan. The first time we did an all inclusive and disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Melissa C
Antonio P, Gerente at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Melissa C,

We deeply regret the very negative impression you had about your stay with us, since one of our purposes as a hotel chain, is to exceed the expectations of our guests, always committed to reaching excellent standards in our services and providing the highest quality and of course, ensure that our guests have an outstanding experience in every moment of their stay.

Regarding your comments about the incident air conditioning, we would like to express our sincere apologies because despite having done everything possible to fix the breakdown raised asap and try the best to accommodate our guests offering the best solutions we had at our disposal, we perfectly understand the great inconvenience this may mean, as it is not at all what you want to find on your holiday as well as the kind of experience we are used to provide.

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you could give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest regards,

Alejandro Martin
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

With all the choice of resorts, we decided to split our two week honeymoon between two resorts. The second week of honeymoon we spent in Royal Suites Yucatan after a very disappointing first week at a Secrets resort. As soon as we entered the hotel grounds, we were just blown away by the beauty of the resort. At reception, we were given a warm and friendly welcome and upgraded to a Royal Suite. Immediately we were relaxed as we explored the gorgeous grounds. We are quite active people so we loved to walk along the beautiful coast line from the rocky coast and all the way along to the lovely 2km sandy beach. The scenery and nature was just stunning. We never got tired of watching iguanas run around and seeing racoons around the site. Towards the end of the week when we got more lazy, we were happy to take the golf carts around and never waited more than a few minutes to be picked up. The private pool at the Royal Suites was lovely for spending a few hours, great drinks service and Bernando the bar man was great. We also were very impressed by the beautiful and spacious spa and spent a couple of lazy afternoons there. We also enjoyed some snorkelling and although it was not mind blowing, there were still plenty of fish to see to entertain us.

Another major advantage for us of this hotel was the location close to Akumal beach (amazing snorkelling with turtles and free), Tulum ruins and several cenotes. On two mornings, we caught the collectif taxi from just outside the hotel and made trips out for only a couple of dollars, back in time for lunch. If we werent enjoying the hotel so much or had more time, we could easily have made more trips to the surrounding attractions.

The beds were comfortable, we loved the outdoor jacuzzi and the room service was good.

Food wise the hotel was fine, I dont expect Michelin star food at all inclusive hotels, but overall the quality was very good. Breakfast buffets had an excellent selection as did the lunch. Room service we ordered once for lunch and were very impressed. We enjoyed all our evening meals, especially the Brazilian restaurant. I am very fussy but there were only a few small faults I could find, first that the house white wine was undrinkable (the sparkling was fine), and second that the natural fruit juices at breakfast were watered down with sugar added, thirdly that most of the desserts werent homemade and hence were quite artificial, but hey, we didnt need to put on even more weight!

The only part of the stay we did not enjoy was a special dinner put on for honeymooning couples which are held every week. We were herded into a restaurant with about 100 other couples. It was very awkward, we had no choice of the food and did not particular enjoy the menu and were starving by the time food was eventually served. Looking around it looked as some other couples felt the same, as some left early before even the main course was served. I do not recommend this experience at all- it was not romantic and we would have eaten far better at one of the restaurants.

This wonderful hotel really saved our honeymoon from being a big disappointment to a big success and we really wish we had spent our whole two week honeymoon here. Ironically it was much cheaper than the first hotel we stayed at (Secrets Silversands) and we thought the value for money was fantastic. We would certainly return here one day.

Room Tip: Any room that is either on the first or second floor, or on the ground floor and away from a pathway...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Clare C
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Clare,

First and foremost, thank you for believing in us and for making The Royal Suites your holiday’s destination, for us is really important to realize that our guests feel like home and become part of our Palladium family. We really appreciate your comments, especially because you know well the hotel and the service, so it shows us the improvement that we work for.

If there is anything further we can do, please, just let us know, and also please tell us when you would come again in order to make the proper arrangements and assure your vacations are fantastic.

Thanks again and best regards

Nutley, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I traded our Starwood timeshare for interval international and I was able to get the Royal Suites when exploring online. We stayed between July 11-18 2014. We had great weather and a beautiful room, one bedroom in building 70. Our pretty room was kept fresh and clean with sweet towel decorations daily. A stocked mini fridge w liquor, water and peanuts. The shower was decent. Toiletries ok. The blow drier blew a fuse every day if I had the power on high for more than 5 minutes. Fuse box is in the closet. FYI.
The resort which is part of the Grand Palladium is HUGE. Royal Suites is adults only and has a nice pool area. Also an indoor bar where Filiberto is an excellent bartender and person! A true pleasure!
The staff upon arrival was pleasant. We had a long day and finally got to the resort about 4pm. It is over an hour from Cancun airport. Since we were Interval International users one of their concierges, Erika B. Came out to greet us. She was very sweet and promised us all sorts of special treatment, particularly club car priority (to get around the facility) as we were "Royal" and finally caved to her hard pitch of listening to a 90 min timeshare info session. For doing this we would get 200.00 at the spa and 400.00 airline credit.
Well over the next few days I had to wait as long as everyone else for the cars and there were even fewer at the Royal than elsewhere.
She never mentioned the special Royal only beach area. I found this out on day 3. Nice area, good bar yet I had to wait 40 minutes to get a club car back to our part of the resort. Finally after some other guests walked back 3 times to complain to the bartender and have him call again for a ride and I stopped another driver (sorry I don't go that way) to have him radio for a ride, we got picked up.
I left two messages in person and one on the phone for Erika who said how special we were to contact me and she never did. At all. At that point I cancelled our time share meeting.
I took my own trip to the spa, zentopia. Very beautiful pool area and I had an outstanding 80 min massage with Guadalupe. The locker area was very disappointing. The waiting room to relax in before the massage was awesome. It had big mobiles floating around and sofas that looked like rocks. Very cool and peaceful.
The snorkel trip we took to Akumal was great! I saw plenty of sea turtles!!! Also some rays and a huge baracuda. The guys running it were excellent.

The food was ok. I was hoping for much more Mexican. The one actual Mexican restaurant was good not amazing. Their guacamole was very good and I was excited to finally have some! Le Jardin, the restaurant only for the royal suites area was good and changes the menu theme each night. Their service was very good. They also have a great breakfast! Much to choose from! Love the staff there.
A big let down is that there is no drink or food service on the beach or pool. That is by a server. You have to get up and get everything yourself. I have never seen this at a resort of this caliber and found it odd as well as a big negative.
That and the difficulty waiting for club cars to get around are the biggest negatives here. Also the food is decent but I want awesome native food.
All in all the resort was a mixed bag. I really enjoyed my time on the beautiful white sand beach and blue water. The Mexican people are wonderful. I would explore some other options before picking this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank RobynCooperHenning
Dear Robyn ,

Miramichi, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

First off the girls at the front desk greeted us with a combined "Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. Clarke". and this was our first time there. The ladies at the front desk made our check in so easy. We were then escorted to our room on the 3rd floor of building 70. Isreal carried our bags to our room and we met with our butler. Thoughout the whole stay they checked up with us to make sure we had everything. Our Junior Suite was everything we wished for and more. It was so clean. Our houseman was so friendly and kind. We always had plenty of towels and our fridge was always stocked. The ala cartes we picked were the Asian, el Jardin, Steakhouse, Ribs and More, and Brazilian. Our BBQ had gotten rained out and they got us into the Italian restaurant without a reservation in 5 minutes. The buffets were plentiful and good food. I have severe allergies to seafood, shellfish and Rosemary. They addressed my allergy needs and have a program in place to prevent cross contamination. I felt so safe. Also noticed special sections for diabetics, gluten free, and dairy free.
Our first morning we took advantage of the Segway Tour. What a way to see the whole resort as it is so large. I would say it shaved a day or two off of the walking around lost feeling. The pool and beach were amazing and wait service was terrific. I see a lot of people complaining about the beach being so far, but really look at the big picture......We left the Maritimes Canada were it was -35 degrees and it was only warming up when it dumped 40+ cm of snow, so you know what, a short golf trip to a beach is fine by me! The secret pool was a cool place late at night. And the spa!!! I watched my husbands shoulders relax as soon as we entered the spa. The pool there was so relaxing.
We took a trip to Playa for the afternoon and had a blast at Senor Frogs.
Overall the buildings were designed perfectly, Super Clean. Food and Drinks are second to none. The fact that the resort was separate from other resorts is a huge plus. I have never felt so safe. Loads of activities and entertainment. But Palladiums greatest asset is their staff!! Aurora and her staff treat you like family!! It may cost a little more but it is so worth it. We have found "our spot". Thanks again Aurora and our Royal family!!

Room Tip: upper floor for privacy and the jaccuzzi on the deck is amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dave-PegClarke
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Dave-PegClarke,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I had the absolute pleasure of spending 6 amazing days at The Royal Suites Yucatan, and am forever changed by this amazing experience. The entire Palladium Resorts experience was beyond what I can explain here, but staying at the Royal Suites made our trip...truly royal.

My hotel review guide for The Royal Suites Yucatan:

Distance from the Cancun Airport/Ease of finding the hotel: (9/10)From the Cancun airport it was about an hour and a half drive costing around $100 for two people. It was a little confusing finding our shuttle driver setup through the resort, but once we found him it was smooth sailing. It is ONE road the entire drive which made us feel a lot more secure knowing that if we had to leave early or go out, there was really just one main road to worry about. We ended up swimming with dolphins during our visit and it was of course, down the main road which ultimately goes all the way down to Cancun (where we stayed at the end of our stay). Drive was easy, there was no traffic, and almost NO lights. We were NOT in Chicago anymore! Our driver was very friendly and even played music. I ended up drifting to sleep a few times and it felt like we were there in a snap, my friend however was awake the entire trip and said it felt like forever!

Check in: (10/10) We were amazed as we pulled up to our resort lobby, stunning was my first thought. The lobby of the Royal Suites is smaller then the other lobbies at the resort but it is beautiful. It was recently redone and you can tell they put a lot of time and thought into it. There was ample seating and the big windows made sure you had a view no matter where you were in the room. We were approached by our private butler who helped us check in. I have never experienced a private check in and it was very nice! We sat down and got a brief summary of our stay, how to place dinner reservations, how to get around, and our room number. During this time we also got a welcome drink and some food, very nice! Staff was extremely welcoming and this set the tone for the rest of our stay. We felt like family, not just guests of a resort. We were truly "at home" away from home. Walking out, I noticed a patio where you could feed the fish (this became a daily thing I had to do) and we went out and spent some quiet time feeding the fish and getting excited about our week. We were headed out, when one of the staff asked if he could take our photo, how nice!! We got some awesome photos and then headed out to find a buffet until our room was ready (we checked in a little early and our room wasn't ready until an hour after we arrived)

First impressions of the room: (10/10) BIG. We stayed in a Jr. Suite and boy was this room big, airy, and beautiful-- not to mention I stayed for my birthday and they decorated the entire thing, gave us drinks, a cake, balloons, a sign, chocolates, and more. I was in tears it was so beautiful. I have never had a resort or hotel leave such a big surprise. It truly was something I will NEVER forget. The bathroom setup was very neat- the toilet and shower were two different rooms and the sinks were out in the open area making it very easy for one of us to shower and one to go to the bathroom or vise versa! The beds were very comfortable and everything was clean. They had wonderful products to use, as well as great drinks stocked in our mini fridge (which was included). We loved our room and our service was also wonderful. Royal Suites Guests get turnout service and it was always so nice to come back from our shows and just jump right into bed with no thought to it. It was out of this world!

The grounds: (10/10)The grounds in every section of the resort were well groomed, safe, and beautiful. There is ample space to roam in this resort. All of the sections of the resort require a lot of walking unless you walk straight down the beach. After two days we had each of the resorts memorized and how to get to them. Everything is very spread out and at times it got a little overwhelming (like a night) but the wonderful thing about staying in the Royal Section of the hotel is that you can call up a car at anytime and they will pick you up and take you to where you need to go. It only took minutes to get to each part and once you did it only required a little scenic walking to get down to the pools or beaches. There are a lot of bridges and walkways to help you get over the canals and little river ways as well! These can be very steep for some guests, but the railings are all secure and make it easy for just about anyone to get up and over them. I did not notice any other ways to get into these places, which would make it difficult for guests in wheel chairs or other devices.

The pools/beach: (10/10) The pools are all massive, clean, and refreshing! We had a chance to visit every single pool. The two main pools have so much to see and do. I personally loved the ledges on the side where you can sit back and lay on the in water chairs, or just relax on the edge! The water was a little on the deeper side (I'm 5'3 and had to be on my tip toes the entire time) in Kantenah pool, but the others were okay (but still a little deep) with the exception of the kids pools. The water is surprisingly warm but still refreshing and we had fun at all of them. There is music, games, competitions, workout sessions, and dancing at the two main pools almost all day so there is always something to watch or be a part of! The pools are also so big that they never ever seem crowded. You don't have to fight for a seat or get up early to reserve a spot, there is always enough room for everyone! If you want a quieter experience you can head to the Royal Pool which is adults only and was steps from our suite. We only ended up swimming here once on our first day because we were a little tired and didn't want to venture far. It was very nice and had beds for guests to lay on, as did the Royal Beach. We only visited the Royal beach once since it was on the entire other side of the property, what a hike! It was beautiful to look at but not very fun to swim in. You have to cross about 3 feet of rocks to get into the water to swim and it hurt, even with water shoes! Other parts of the beach in the resort were not like this. We didn't spend too long at the beach at this resort, and only ended up swimming in the beach twice but enjoyed it both times, we liked the view better! Towels were easy to get and we didn't have a limit, we ended up having a large stash in our room, opps!

The food: (8/10) The food was very typical of an all inclusive experience. There was always a lot, but it usually tasted the same. I was not overly wowed by the food offered at this resort except for at Portifino, oh my goodness if you are a Royal Suites guest you MUST take advantage of the free lobster meals at this and the other sit downs! It was so amazing I had it two nights in a row. It would of been $60 had I not been a royal guest. This was the best meal I have had in months. The dinning staff was always friendly, the water WAS safe to drink, and we had no issues ordering or getting food to the room or in any of the buffets. The drinks at the swim up bars and at the shows were also yummy.

The staff: (10/10)Every single staff member we encountered at the resort was friendly, helpful, and attentive. There was NEVER a moment where we felt that our needs were not important. They treated us as equals, and we did the same. We were completely floored by all of the hard work these people do and how much goes into creating a special vacation for all the guests, including us. I am so grateful to the Palladium staff for going above and beyond!

Entertainment/Activities: (6/10) There was ALWAYS something to do at this resort. You can't go an hour without an activity, show, or event to keep you entertained. While we never participated in the pool side events we did attend many evening shows. The childrens shows were by far the best to watch (we didn't have any kids with us!) but to see all the work put in by the staff for the kids club was awesome! However, the adult shows put on by the "professional dance team" left us scratching our heads quite a bit. The dancing was okay, but there were moments that left us feeling very uncomfortable and wondering if the show was appropriate for families and kids. A harmless pirate show turned into a strip show half way through complete with a huge poll being lifted onto the stage for the girls to dance on, with almost NO clothing. We were so disturbed we left- this happened more then once. Maybe this is appealing to some- but not to us. I was disappointed by this and shocked as it is a family friendly resort.

Family friendliness: (9/10) I think that this resort, minus the shows, is VERY family friendly but still makes it comfortable for adult only guests. We never ran into annoying kids, or families being too crazy and loud. And having the option to swim at the Royal pool or adult only pool at Riviera was also always an option for those not wanting to swim with the kiddos. If I had a family I wouldn't hesitate bringing them (but know, you cannot stay in the Royal with children)

Check out: (10/10) Check out went very quickly as we arranged a taxi to drive us to Cancun the day before check out. They put stickers on our bags, and we walked out free to go. No papers to sign, no waiting around, just very quick service (and an awesome check out gift of a flower with a Royal Suites pendant on it) This was a highlight of the stay! Again...it's the little things.

Overall hotel/resort grade: A- Overall the Royal Suites is a 9/10 for me. This resort has it all! The views, the amenities, and the entertainment. We didn't want to leave! It is truly all it's cracked up to be, a truly Royal experience!

Would I stay again?: YES YES YES! In a heartbeat! Already planning our next visit!

Room Tip: Get a Jr Suite!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank ChiReviewQueen
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear ChiReviewQueen

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made.

Director Adjunto / Assistant Manager