“AMAZING!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miramichi, Canada
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

First off the girls at the front desk greeted us with a combined "Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. Clarke". and this was our first time there. The ladies at the front desk made our check in so easy. We were then escorted to our room on the 3rd floor of building 70. Isreal carried our bags to our room and we met with our butler. Thoughout the whole stay they checked up with us to make sure we had everything. Our Junior Suite was everything we wished for and more. It was so clean. Our houseman was so friendly and kind. We always had plenty of towels and our fridge was always stocked. The ala cartes we picked were the Asian, el Jardin, Steakhouse, Ribs and More, and Brazilian. Our BBQ had gotten rained out and they got us into the Italian restaurant without a reservation in 5 minutes. The buffets were plentiful and good food. I have severe allergies to seafood, shellfish and Rosemary. They addressed my allergy needs and have a program in place to prevent cross contamination. I felt so safe. Also noticed special sections for diabetics, gluten free, and dairy free.
Our first morning we took advantage of the Segway Tour. What a way to see the whole resort as it is so large. I would say it shaved a day or two off of the walking around lost feeling. The pool and beach were amazing and wait service was terrific. I see a lot of people complaining about the beach being so far, but really look at the big picture......We left the Maritimes Canada were it was -35 degrees and it was only warming up when it dumped 40+ cm of snow, so you know what, a short golf trip to a beach is fine by me! The secret pool was a cool place late at night. And the spa!!! I watched my husbands shoulders relax as soon as we entered the spa. The pool there was so relaxing.
We took a trip to Playa for the afternoon and had a blast at Senor Frogs.
Overall the buildings were designed perfectly, Super Clean. Food and Drinks are second to none. The fact that the resort was separate from other resorts is a huge plus. I have never felt so safe. Loads of activities and entertainment. But Palladiums greatest asset is their staff!! Aurora and her staff treat you like family!! It may cost a little more but it is so worth it. We have found "our spot". Thanks again Aurora and our Royal family!!

Room Tip: upper floor for privacy and the jaccuzzi on the deck is amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dave-PegClarke
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Dave-PegClarke,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I had the absolute pleasure of spending 6 amazing days at The Royal Suites Yucatan, and am forever changed by this amazing experience. The entire Palladium Resorts experience was beyond what I can explain here, but staying at the Royal Suites made our trip...truly royal.

My hotel review guide for The Royal Suites Yucatan:

Distance from the Cancun Airport/Ease of finding the hotel: (9/10)From the Cancun airport it was about an hour and a half drive costing around $100 for two people. It was a little confusing finding our shuttle driver setup through the resort, but once we found him it was smooth sailing. It is ONE road the entire drive which made us feel a lot more secure knowing that if we had to leave early or go out, there was really just one main road to worry about. We ended up swimming with dolphins during our visit and it was of course, down the main road which ultimately goes all the way down to Cancun (where we stayed at the end of our stay). Drive was easy, there was no traffic, and almost NO lights. We were NOT in Chicago anymore! Our driver was very friendly and even played music. I ended up drifting to sleep a few times and it felt like we were there in a snap, my friend however was awake the entire trip and said it felt like forever!

Check in: (10/10) We were amazed as we pulled up to our resort lobby, stunning was my first thought. The lobby of the Royal Suites is smaller then the other lobbies at the resort but it is beautiful. It was recently redone and you can tell they put a lot of time and thought into it. There was ample seating and the big windows made sure you had a view no matter where you were in the room. We were approached by our private butler who helped us check in. I have never experienced a private check in and it was very nice! We sat down and got a brief summary of our stay, how to place dinner reservations, how to get around, and our room number. During this time we also got a welcome drink and some food, very nice! Staff was extremely welcoming and this set the tone for the rest of our stay. We felt like family, not just guests of a resort. We were truly "at home" away from home. Walking out, I noticed a patio where you could feed the fish (this became a daily thing I had to do) and we went out and spent some quiet time feeding the fish and getting excited about our week. We were headed out, when one of the staff asked if he could take our photo, how nice!! We got some awesome photos and then headed out to find a buffet until our room was ready (we checked in a little early and our room wasn't ready until an hour after we arrived)

First impressions of the room: (10/10) BIG. We stayed in a Jr. Suite and boy was this room big, airy, and beautiful-- not to mention I stayed for my birthday and they decorated the entire thing, gave us drinks, a cake, balloons, a sign, chocolates, and more. I was in tears it was so beautiful. I have never had a resort or hotel leave such a big surprise. It truly was something I will NEVER forget. The bathroom setup was very neat- the toilet and shower were two different rooms and the sinks were out in the open area making it very easy for one of us to shower and one to go to the bathroom or vise versa! The beds were very comfortable and everything was clean. They had wonderful products to use, as well as great drinks stocked in our mini fridge (which was included). We loved our room and our service was also wonderful. Royal Suites Guests get turnout service and it was always so nice to come back from our shows and just jump right into bed with no thought to it. It was out of this world!

The grounds: (10/10)The grounds in every section of the resort were well groomed, safe, and beautiful. There is ample space to roam in this resort. All of the sections of the resort require a lot of walking unless you walk straight down the beach. After two days we had each of the resorts memorized and how to get to them. Everything is very spread out and at times it got a little overwhelming (like a night) but the wonderful thing about staying in the Royal Section of the hotel is that you can call up a car at anytime and they will pick you up and take you to where you need to go. It only took minutes to get to each part and once you did it only required a little scenic walking to get down to the pools or beaches. There are a lot of bridges and walkways to help you get over the canals and little river ways as well! These can be very steep for some guests, but the railings are all secure and make it easy for just about anyone to get up and over them. I did not notice any other ways to get into these places, which would make it difficult for guests in wheel chairs or other devices.

The pools/beach: (10/10) The pools are all massive, clean, and refreshing! We had a chance to visit every single pool. The two main pools have so much to see and do. I personally loved the ledges on the side where you can sit back and lay on the in water chairs, or just relax on the edge! The water was a little on the deeper side (I'm 5'3 and had to be on my tip toes the entire time) in Kantenah pool, but the others were okay (but still a little deep) with the exception of the kids pools. The water is surprisingly warm but still refreshing and we had fun at all of them. There is music, games, competitions, workout sessions, and dancing at the two main pools almost all day so there is always something to watch or be a part of! The pools are also so big that they never ever seem crowded. You don't have to fight for a seat or get up early to reserve a spot, there is always enough room for everyone! If you want a quieter experience you can head to the Royal Pool which is adults only and was steps from our suite. We only ended up swimming here once on our first day because we were a little tired and didn't want to venture far. It was very nice and had beds for guests to lay on, as did the Royal Beach. We only visited the Royal beach once since it was on the entire other side of the property, what a hike! It was beautiful to look at but not very fun to swim in. You have to cross about 3 feet of rocks to get into the water to swim and it hurt, even with water shoes! Other parts of the beach in the resort were not like this. We didn't spend too long at the beach at this resort, and only ended up swimming in the beach twice but enjoyed it both times, we liked the view better! Towels were easy to get and we didn't have a limit, we ended up having a large stash in our room, opps!

The food: (8/10) The food was very typical of an all inclusive experience. There was always a lot, but it usually tasted the same. I was not overly wowed by the food offered at this resort except for at Portifino, oh my goodness if you are a Royal Suites guest you MUST take advantage of the free lobster meals at this and the other sit downs! It was so amazing I had it two nights in a row. It would of been $60 had I not been a royal guest. This was the best meal I have had in months. The dinning staff was always friendly, the water WAS safe to drink, and we had no issues ordering or getting food to the room or in any of the buffets. The drinks at the swim up bars and at the shows were also yummy.

The staff: (10/10)Every single staff member we encountered at the resort was friendly, helpful, and attentive. There was NEVER a moment where we felt that our needs were not important. They treated us as equals, and we did the same. We were completely floored by all of the hard work these people do and how much goes into creating a special vacation for all the guests, including us. I am so grateful to the Palladium staff for going above and beyond!

Entertainment/Activities: (6/10) There was ALWAYS something to do at this resort. You can't go an hour without an activity, show, or event to keep you entertained. While we never participated in the pool side events we did attend many evening shows. The childrens shows were by far the best to watch (we didn't have any kids with us!) but to see all the work put in by the staff for the kids club was awesome! However, the adult shows put on by the "professional dance team" left us scratching our heads quite a bit. The dancing was okay, but there were moments that left us feeling very uncomfortable and wondering if the show was appropriate for families and kids. A harmless pirate show turned into a strip show half way through complete with a huge poll being lifted onto the stage for the girls to dance on, with almost NO clothing. We were so disturbed we left- this happened more then once. Maybe this is appealing to some- but not to us. I was disappointed by this and shocked as it is a family friendly resort.

Family friendliness: (9/10) I think that this resort, minus the shows, is VERY family friendly but still makes it comfortable for adult only guests. We never ran into annoying kids, or families being too crazy and loud. And having the option to swim at the Royal pool or adult only pool at Riviera was also always an option for those not wanting to swim with the kiddos. If I had a family I wouldn't hesitate bringing them (but know, you cannot stay in the Royal with children)

Check out: (10/10) Check out went very quickly as we arranged a taxi to drive us to Cancun the day before check out. They put stickers on our bags, and we walked out free to go. No papers to sign, no waiting around, just very quick service (and an awesome check out gift of a flower with a Royal Suites pendant on it) This was a highlight of the stay! Again...it's the little things.

Overall hotel/resort grade: A- Overall the Royal Suites is a 9/10 for me. This resort has it all! The views, the amenities, and the entertainment. We didn't want to leave! It is truly all it's cracked up to be, a truly Royal experience!

Would I stay again?: YES YES YES! In a heartbeat! Already planning our next visit!

Room Tip: Get a Jr Suite!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank ChiReviewQueen
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear ChiReviewQueen

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Director Adjunto / Assistant Manager
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Suites for 7 days prior to Memorial day 2014. This is a first class hotel, staff was great and very attentive. Royal Suites is the "adults only" portion of this large 4 resort complex and you are able to use all restaurants without any up charge if you stay in the Royal Suites. Room was very spacious and you can move from different parts of the complex by internal golf carts driven by staff. The Spa is free for Royal guests and was excellent. I have stayed at several other resorts in Rivera Maya, Playa and Akumal and I would have to rate this one of the best. We will return

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 70, second floor, no elevators but easy walk up and near adult pool
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harvey G
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Harvey G,

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

tennessee
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I just returned from 7 days in absolute paradise. We have not 1 complaint. My husband took advantage of the royal lobster and ate it in every restaurant, he was a happy man. Ghent resort is huge and does require some walking but with all the delicious food and drink it was welcomed by us .. they to have plenty of golf carts for the royal guests we just preferred the walking, we saw do many critters it was great.. The spa was beautiful,tranquil.
This is the first time my husband has made several comments about returning to this resort, we normally like to try nee places.
Sorry this review is so mixed up I just keep going over everything in my head and once again I have to say we LOVED everything about this resort. I really do my homework when I'm looking for a vacation, this resort gets an A in my book...price,beauty, food, service, entertainment, drinks, pools, beach, everything awesome

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank walexander28
Dear walexander28,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, very good choice to stay at the Royal Suite Yucatan .We are very grateful to have their wishes met.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Overall our stay was great. We stayed in a Mayan Suite, our air conditioner wasn't the best but after 3 days of asking for it to be repaired we made the best of the situation. I thought the food was.. Ok. Nothing to brag about, the Hibachi was my favorite and my husband enjoyed the steak house. The italian was horrible, my husband was quoted as saying "Ive had better out of a can" I will say the service was excellent though. Pepe' at the lobby bar was amazing!!! You can tell he enjoys his job and conversing with everyone. The waitress at the royal beach was wonderful as well. Arturo in the royal lobby was always quick to assist us with anything we requested.
I will say the service is what stands out in this hotel. The beach is not really "swimmable" in most spots but if you go down a little east from the royal beach there is a nice swimming area with no rocks.
The spa was very enjoyable my husband and I loved the deep tissue massages.
Overall stay was great, probably won't come back to this particular resort again. I prefer the Valentin Imperial Maya over this one but if you've already booked do not doubt that you won't have a great time here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lhyde12
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Lhyde12,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. I respect your point of view but with the information in the moment, we could have tried to help you with anything.

I will take note about your comments and I will share it with the rest of the team.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you in the future.

Best regards,

La Porte, TX
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Our 5th trip to the Riviera Maya, and maybe my favorite. This was a Funjet vacation with a private car taking us directly from the airport to the resort, so there were no stops in between. The driver said the ride would be approximately 1 1/2 hours, but we arrived in just over an hour.

Our arrival and check-in was flawless. Although there was a brief attempt at scheduling a breakfast meeting for a timeshare talk, we politely declined and were never asked again. Our Royal Mayan Suite was ready upon arrival. I'm not sure what the "butler" service was about since we were only introduced to him once and never saw him again, but that was not an issue for us.

The Royal Mayan Suite was wonderful. Spacious for two, sufficient closet and drawer space, and a great bed. The outdoor shower was odd at first, but eventually became one of the highlights of the suite. We really enjoyed the terrace and feeding the fish in the evening. Mosquitoes were never an issue for us as we had read from others, and the Off was never removed from the luggage. Our canoe was brought to us upon request, but we seldom used.

The only complaint I have regarding the room is that by turning the A/C down to keep the room cool we woke up one morning to a flooded floor (and I don't mean just a puddle) from the drip pan overflowing in the ceiling. Our clothes hanging in the closet, as well as some nicer shoes were pretty wet. We thought the problem had been fixed, but we had two more leaks (not as bad as the first) before we departed. I should also mention that if you have not been to Mexico, or have just forgotten, the refrigerators in the rooms barely keep all that re-stocked beer room temperature, so you might keep your drinks on ice if you like your beverages cold. We seldom drank the beers in the room just because of the effort to keep them cold.

Upon arrival we did not have dinner reservations yet, so we ate at the exclusive El Jardin. This may have been our favorite restaurant. It is the closest dining to the suites, quiet, relaxed, no children, and comfortably cool. The lobster was outstanding, as was the service. One evening we even cancelled our beach dinner after being in the sun all day and elected to return to El Jardin for the A/C, the comfort, and the lobster again. Every morning we had breakfast here and were always seated right away. You can order from the menu, or enjoy the buffet.

I guess you could say our worst dinner experience was at El Dorado (steak house) simply because it was so crowded and warm inside. We waited for over an hour for our food to arrive and almost left a couple of times just because it was uncomfortable. I can't say the food was worth the wait, but it was quite good. The Brazilian restaurant was very good, as was SumTuori (Japanese) restaurant. The buffet at the Riviera pool area is where we had lunch nearly every day and found a good variety there. We were quite pleased with all the bars and the service we received at all of them. I especially have to leave gratitude to Filaberto and Lucy at the Royal Suites lobby bar.

The Las Rocas Pool (salt pool) was a comfortable walk from the suites and maybe our favorite place to start the day. The pool is fed by two openings on each end leading from the ocean. The inlets bring in a nice variety of tropical fish, so a mask and snorkel can make for a nice day. There is also a nice little bar there and plenty of chairs and umbrellas for laying out. Be sure to bring your towels with you if you arrive before 10 AM. Also there is no food near that spot.

The beach area was very clean and I never saw a shortage of chairs during the day. You can walk right to the water; however, once in the water it was extremely rocky. We did not get into the main section of beach, but it appeared there may have been reefs in the area as we saw several snorkelers and most likely some very colorful fish. Based on the fish we saw in the salt pool it is mostly reef just beyond the beach, more so than other Mayan beaches we have visited.

The private beach for the Royal Suites guests is at the far end of the resort. It was very nice, but we only visited one day. The service at the cabanas was exceptional. Drinks were continuously brought out, as were fruit bowels and sandwiches. The beach area was nice, but again once you enter the water it is rocky. I would recommend water shoes. Oh yes, and be cautious of stingrays in the area as we saw one some 5-10 feet off the beach, and there were signs posted.

The only other thing I feel I can share is the spa. My wife and I had a 60 minute couples massage which was a great experience. The price was just under $200 and the spa area, except for the massage itself, is also available to the guests at no additional charge.

I would definitely return here and the only thing I would change would to have more dinners at El Jardin and not book so many at the reservation restaurants. Feel free to contact with any questions.

Room Tip: Royal Suites means no kids and were very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank carnbravila
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear carnbravila,

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I don't think there is a better place you could stay for couples!!!! My family actually loved all my photos/stories of palladium so much we are going to plan a family vacation there for next summer. It was my first time their and I can't wait to go back. We stayed for our Honeymoon June 23th-30th.

1. So tipping/friendliness of staff -Everyone there was beyond wonderful and friendly. I read on some other reviews that some people said they didn't get as good of service as the people who tip. Now we brought about $500 in ones/fives for tips and gave a few dollars to anyone who did something for us; maids, room service, buffet cooks, cart drivers, bartenders, and so on. We never saw anyone get treated differently for tipping or not tipping. So tipping is really just personal preference.
We never had a problem with anyones attitude or anything like that, everyone went above and beyond for our needs.

2. Transportation -
We hired a private car roundtrip through LOMAS, a company in Cancun. The drive each way was an hour. But was really convenient because they are a big company so they had representatives in the hotels 7 days a week so we didn't have to use our phones once. To arrange a car back to the airport we just had to go to their desk, really nice to talk to someone in person.

The resort is very large so before you learn your way around make use of the royal private car. Basically a golf cart you can call from any part of the resort to take you anywhere you like within the hotel grounds. This is only offered to the royal guest, the other hotels have larger trains and carts that just take you between all the lobbies so a huge convivence to have the royal upgrade. Just keep in mind though that if you call for the car at "high times" you'll have to wait a bit. Like if you call for a car to go to the beach around 11a.m. or want to go to dinner around 7/8p.m. they'll be a longer wait then the usual few minutes.

3. Grounds -
The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful. There are colorful plants and flowers everywhere you look. They have many walking paths under shade if you want to explore which I suggest you do after you get a bit familiar where the main lobbies are. There are tons of animals on this resort!!! They have a flamingo pond/area, crocodiles enclosure, colorful birds, racoons(that are quite domesticated, they'll come up to you and take food off your plate), and tons more.

4. Rooms/Room service -
The rooms were absolutely wonderful. Large king bed, double sink, sitting area, large flat screen tv, mini fridge, liquoir in room, vanity, and large jacuzzi on the deck. It seems a bit pricey but make use of the aromatherapy menu you have in your room, oils are high quality. With the royal suites you have 24 room service which we made use of almost every day. They food was wonderful and always came very quickly.

5. Food -
We didn't even have the slightest stomach issues while we were there. The food was great and some even better than U.S. restaurants we eat at at home. I couldn't find one thing to complain about. All the breakfast and lunch buffets we great, we never made it to dinner buffets. At the buffets there are so many choices I don't think you could all the food if you wanted to. I'm excited to go back just to get to try some foods I just didn't have the room for.
For dinner we ate at El Hardin(sp) almost every night. The food there was so good we just never bothered to try the other places. Also at el hardin everynight they changed the theme so you can try all the a la cart restaurants through there anyways. On our last night we ate at the Japanese restaurant, and made our reservations ahead of time for the show table. It was very good and worth the wait.

All the bars were wonderful!!! They would make any drink you would ask for and never minded making you something completely different if you didn't like the taste. Also the beach bar at the colonial pool is open 24 hours and serves "America" style food. They have fries, onion rings, hot dogs, burgers, and such.

6. Beach -
The grounds around the beach were absolutely wonderful. You should call the cart service there because it is about a 15min walk. The royal section is great in that it has beds and a waiter will come around and get your orders but we usually just walked up to the bar ourselves. We never had a problem with people claming beds/chairs with towels. We got there between 9-12 every morning and never had a problem getting chairs. The beach right out front is a bit rocky and lots of coral so I suggest you buy some water shoes. The snorkeling is great right in front of the resort, you only have to go out a 100ft or less before you start seeing fish. If you want more sand for swimming all you have to do is walk down a little more towards the other sections, barely any rocks.

Right out front of the colonial section is a dive shop. You can rent kayaks, catamarans, snorkel equipment, wind surfing for free but you need your license and your room key so make sure to bring your ID if you want to use those. Also for $45 for can go on a snorkle with turtles tour, very worth it. They take you to Akumal Bay by boat right from the resort beach and you get to see turtles and so much marine life, highlight of our trip.

7. Random -
~The mini-fridges in the room never get that cold so make use of the ice machince.
~Water is completely safe here, they have their own filtration system on this resort. So if you want bottled water you have to ask for is specifically. We brushed our teeth and took our meds all week with the faucet water in our room and had no issues.
~the jacuzzi on the balcony takes a very long time to fill so it is worth it to have the butlers fill the baths for you ahead of time.
~make use of the butler services like free DVDs and little romantic things they do around the room some free some small charges.
~ at night at colonial lobby local vendors sell little knick knacks. Almost all of this stuff can be bought anywhere, like if you visit any of the ruins. Remember to haggle, almost everything is 300% over what they say. I got a blanket for $20 and orginially they told me $80. And we saw the blanket at the shops in tulum for about $20 so basically go in knowing what you want to pay and don't be afraid to walk away because it can be found elsewhere.
~almost every single employee knows English and they have some that know french, german so language barrier is not an issue there. If you know Spanish which my husband did, no one had a problem speaking "spanglish" with him or helping him with words and phrases.
~bring a few extra coat hangers

Sorry it was such a long post but just tried to write about everything I found helpful before my visit and things I wish I knew beforehand. But basically this resort is amazing and for the price range I don't think you could find a better one. If you have something to complain about here I don't think you could be happy anywhere.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank heidi1234321
Aurora C, Manager at The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear heidi1234321,

The Royal Suites Yucatán
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium? Share your experiences!