This was our fourth trip to the Mayan, 6th to Mexico, 10th to the Caribbean in recent years - we returned October 14 after 10 days. I will provide my feedback based on order of importance to myself and my wife and the two other couples that we travelled with this time.
Service – the service was extremely good in nearly all regards. The rock stars of the resort are truly the bar tenders. Antonio 1 and Antonio 2 from the Riviera Lobby were unbelievable. Jean Luis (sp) from the Royal Suites lobby was extremely good and all bars had phenomenal bartending. On the not so positive side, our concierge called the Punta Emilia for one of our group’s Birthday to arrange a piece of cake. This was ignored despite us hinting in an attempt to prompt them. Also, the return service to your room after dining was really poor. We waited as long as 50 minutes for a ride back to our room. The distance was a little over a km and the lour wives in heels were not really up for that, especially with the bridges.
Beach – the beach was very good, not quite as nice as the Royal Catalonia but still very nice. The water craft was always available although the water sports area is getting quite run down since last time we visited and looks more like a shanty area than a nice beach area. Also, they now require ID although our Best Day rep said nothing about this so we had a 1 hour return to the room to get our ID the first time we went kayaking.
Gym / Spa – Still the best I have ever visited. This place is amazing. Lots of people hang around this area all day, it is so beautiful.
Food – the restaurants were a little lacking this time. Most notable was the Punt Emilia which is the greasiest food I ever remember eating. The El Jardin was good although a salad bar without ever having some form of lettuce is disappointing. Finally, finding lunch was not very easy with our closest buffet La Laguna closed the whole time. We ate at the beach restaurants mainly but the dishes are rather unhealthy pub fare. The Ribs and More restaurant was closed as well when we tried to eat there. The other restaurants that we ate at were the Sumptori which was okay but putting icing sugar on shrimp… The El Dorado and Portofino were quite good and the best was the Bamboo restaurant, especially the Sushi which was amazing.
Room – the room was best ever for us. We got the one bedroom suite which included two decks, separate bedroom, living room, etc. We were on the second floor of Building 70.
The Resort – the resort is massive. If you are a jogger, a complete circle around the resort is nearly 4 kms. The larger size means that walks are longer which did not bother my wife and I but one of our group has health problems and found it more challenging, especially with the slow shuttle return service when the Royal Lobby was called for pick up.
My new rankings of Caribbean places that we have visited:
1 & 2: Punta Cana (Gran Bahia) 10/10 first visit - 9.5/10 2nd visit
3: Grand Palladium Colonial Mayan 9/10
4. Catalonia Royal Tulum 8.5/10
5. Cuba (Cayo Ensenachos) 8.5/10
6. Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa 8.5/10
7. Royal Suites Yucatan 8.5/10
8. Puerto Plata (Riu) 8.0/10
9. Mayan (Gran Bahia Coba) 6.0/10
10. Barbados (Almond Casuarina) 2.0/10
Please feel free to msg me if you have any questions – hope this is helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TRS Yucatan consists of 130 luxurious rooms located in an exclusive area within the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa in the Mayan Riviera. Guest may enjoy first class facilities that include a private lobby with a bar, exclusive swimming pool with Jacuzzi, unlimited dinner reservations at the theme restaurants, private bar with premium beverages, room service, free Internet connection, bar service to the pool sun beds and an exclusive restaurant. For adults only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your TRS Yucatan by Palladium reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Suites Yucatan By Palladium Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Royal Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- TRS Yucatan By Palladium Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico