“Second visit to Palladium, still very good”

TRS Yucatan by Palladium
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was our fourth trip to the Mayan, 6th to Mexico, 10th to the Caribbean in recent years - we returned October 14 after 10 days. I will provide my feedback based on order of importance to myself and my wife and the two other couples that we travelled with this time.

Service – the service was extremely good in nearly all regards. The rock stars of the resort are truly the bar tenders. Antonio 1 and Antonio 2 from the Riviera Lobby were unbelievable. Jean Luis (sp) from the Royal Suites lobby was extremely good and all bars had phenomenal bartending. On the not so positive side, our concierge called the Punta Emilia for one of our group’s Birthday to arrange a piece of cake. This was ignored despite us hinting in an attempt to prompt them. Also, the return service to your room after dining was really poor. We waited as long as 50 minutes for a ride back to our room. The distance was a little over a km and the lour wives in heels were not really up for that, especially with the bridges.
Beach – the beach was very good, not quite as nice as the Royal Catalonia but still very nice. The water craft was always available although the water sports area is getting quite run down since last time we visited and looks more like a shanty area than a nice beach area. Also, they now require ID although our Best Day rep said nothing about this so we had a 1 hour return to the room to get our ID the first time we went kayaking.

Gym / Spa – Still the best I have ever visited. This place is amazing. Lots of people hang around this area all day, it is so beautiful.

Food – the restaurants were a little lacking this time. Most notable was the Punt Emilia which is the greasiest food I ever remember eating. The El Jardin was good although a salad bar without ever having some form of lettuce is disappointing. Finally, finding lunch was not very easy with our closest buffet La Laguna closed the whole time. We ate at the beach restaurants mainly but the dishes are rather unhealthy pub fare. The Ribs and More restaurant was closed as well when we tried to eat there. The other restaurants that we ate at were the Sumptori which was okay but putting icing sugar on shrimp… The El Dorado and Portofino were quite good and the best was the Bamboo restaurant, especially the Sushi which was amazing.

Room – the room was best ever for us. We got the one bedroom suite which included two decks, separate bedroom, living room, etc. We were on the second floor of Building 70.

The Resort – the resort is massive. If you are a jogger, a complete circle around the resort is nearly 4 kms. The larger size means that walks are longer which did not bother my wife and I but one of our group has health problems and found it more challenging, especially with the slow shuttle return service when the Royal Lobby was called for pick up.

My new rankings of Caribbean places that we have visited:

1 & 2: Punta Cana (Gran Bahia) 10/10 first visit - 9.5/10 2nd visit
7. Royal Suites Yucatan 8.5/10
8. Puerto Plata (Riu) 8.0/10
9. Mayan (Gran Bahia Coba) 6.0/10
10. Barbados (Almond Casuarina) 2.0/10

Please feel free to msg me if you have any questions – hope this is helpful.

1  Thank WarrenCalgary
There are newer reviews for TRS Yucatan by Palladium

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I've decided after some thought to structure this review differently than my others, or other peoples' as well. I'm not going to go through the day to day blah blah blah and wind up knocking a star because I saw a bug or something. My previous review a year ago still stands accurate and you can read it here on TA. Just do a search.
Now though, the lobby has been renovated and I feel the place is even better. But, as you read as many good reviews about this place, you may read just as many about some other place. So I'm just going to highlight the 'nuts and bolts' of why this excels past other properties. So when you are deciding where to spend your precious vacation dollars, I think it's many of the little things that add up.

With the Royal you enjoy...
No weird restaurant reservation system. ie.Limiting you to a certain amount of ala cartes etc.
Lobster included at any restaurant, any night, with any dinner.
Private restaurant just for the Royal guests plus you can frequent all the others.
Premium liquor, (Don Julio, Crown Royal, Bombay gin, etc.)plus liquor bottles in your beautiful Jr. Suite.
Private pool (no kiddies allowed)
Private shuttle service. (golf cart you to the beach, to another part of the property, etc.)
Private beach lounging area set on a pristine part of the sand. Gorgeous!
GINORMOUS jetted tub on your balcony with lounge chairs and privacy curtains too for all jr suite and suite rooms.
Private check in and lobby with fantastic lobby bar, always nice to relax at, eat elegant canapes, etc.
Very eco-conscious resort with the entire grounds very lush, very tropical/jungle. Lots of cool wildlife.
Concierge/butler service included. Have them make a reservation for you, fill your tub when you want, chill a bottle of champagne for you (yes included),turn down the room, etc..
Spa privileges included which starting in November 2013 will cost regular guests I believe $10 to use.
Room Service included.

Dollar for dollar in my comparisons, I find the Palladium, and especially the Royal Suites to excel past other properties.
All I can simply say is: Go Go Go!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Toastman
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I can't add much to the largely glowing reviews of the Royal Suites and the resort in general but there is one negative that Management need to address and that is the feral cat situation and on our visit, lack of concern for a lost dog with collar at the Riviera Lobby our last 4 days. I understand Management read these reviews regularly.

I asked several staff if they had a program for caring for the cats as I noticed the males at El Jardin were not neutered, and was given conflicting information. There was a beautiful kitten in the Riviera Lobby and a staff member saw it, called another person to shoo it out, warning guests to keep away as it might have rabies. I can only assume they don't have a program to immunize/spay/neuter/release or adopt, and I was told they did by one person to placate me.

The lost dog was very upsetting. It had a collar but no tag. I reported it to several staff and some knew about it and one laughed when I said the dog was hungry and wouldn't survive unless it's owner was found or it was taken to a shelter I heard they have in Playa. I was told the situation would be handled but the dog was still there when we left.

I realize different cultures have different attitudes towards animals and often limited resources to deal with them but feel this hotel HAS the resources to properly care for them which would prevent overpopulation which is to the hotel's advantage, ensure their good health, and keep guests happy. I urge other animal-loving guests to encourage this and Management to take action.

5  Thank Zappcat
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Royal Suites. We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 2nd floor in villa. It was private and beautifully decorated with two balconies. We took full advantage of the extra large jacuzzi on our balcony. We did not hear noise above or below us. We did have a connecting room next to us and could hear conversations unless we closed our bedroom door. The maid always left our room spotless.

Front desk, lobby, and butler service - Jacob and many of the ladies up front were very helpful and knowledgeable. They spoiled my husband and I with balloons, chocolate strawberries, and champagne for his bday. If there is anything you need, just call and ask (like better pillows). They will arrange for room decoration etc. The lobby bar had the best bar service on the complex for drinks, snacks, and coffee. Juan makes the best coffee drinks and is a lot of fun to talk to.

Grounds - The resort is very large and we enjoyed walking to all the highlights. We never did make it to everything. Call for a royal cart or catch one to Riveria - it is not a far walk from there. The grounds staff were very pleasant. The pools and beach are beautiful. The Colonial pool was rather deep but I found it fun to catch a ride on my husband's back. There was plenty to see when snorkeling and a nice amount of white sand beach to walk on. We enjoyed the Balinese beds in the royal suites section but we also moved up to the ocean view loungers later in the afternoon. The veggie wrap and fresh fruit at the royal suites bar were very good.Thank you Ferdinand for your beautiful smile and service. I found her male coworker to be sour.

Food service - The room service in the morning and evening were excellent. We tried the late night service once and found the food to be similar to the lunch buffet food. El Jardin was by far our favorite. Their presentation was beautiful. Don't bother with the buffet food there at night, just order ala carte. At breakfast there are fresh juices and an omelette station. We found the meat at Rodizo to be delicious but the sides were not very good. Punta Emilia had excellent food but I was nervous about the many over-friendly animals. The service at Punta Emilia was perfect and they even went out of their way to find us when my husband left his phone. Many thanks! The beach bars had the best lunch food, just be prepared to wait. Buffet lunch was okay. It was quicker to go to the bar and ask for drinks than wait for the lunch staff. (Except for Tikal - they always got us drinks quickly). We did like the fresh fish cooked to order at La Laguna.

Activities - There are an endless amount of activities here including nightly entertainment. Make sure you make it to the Fire Show and sit as close to the bottom level of Los Rocas.

Zentropia Spa - This place was heaven. We had a couples massage. Be sure to let your masseuse know how much pressure you like. The facilities at the spa are a must see. We liked it so much we came back for more on another day.

Transportation - We got our transportation to and from the airport with AGI Tours. They were on time both ways and very reliable.

Overall, it was the perfect experience and we are planning to return.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are spacious with two balconies. If you have a connecting room door conversations...
2  Thank Angela T
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We just returned from our second visit to the Royal Suites where we celebrated our wedding and honeymoon. Overall we had a great stay but I think for a number of reasons (not all related to hotel) we did not have the same experience as the first time. Most of that was because we had family around and trying to plan days and activities and meals for a family is tough and taxing and does not let you relax in quite the same way.

We were upgraded to a Mayan Suite (7211) which we loved the layout of. Very private. Mayan outdoor shower was excellent. Room was always clean. Mini Bar filled. Turndown included towel art for all 10 days.

I've reviewed this hotel before so you can see what I like.. It is the same today. Which is part of the reason we didn't have same experience. The hotel is beautiful and I would recommend this place to anyone. I would also recommend the wedding services. Graciela was wonderful. Also staff members in Royal Lobby Jose Luis, Lucy and Filiberto were great. Here are the things that perhaps led to this time being not as special.

1. Royal Cart Service was inconsistent. We barely used it on our last trip but this time my wife is 6 months pregnant. There were a handful of times we waited 30 minutes. And at least 3 occasions where someone from the Kantenah lobby drove us themselves because we were waiting so long.

2. Shows are the same 2 years later. I understand that an entire new week of shows may be a bit much to ask for but mix in something new.

3 Menus at restaurants are EXACTLY the same after two years too. I am not calling for a complete monthly overhaul of menu but after 2 years perhaps you can change it up a bit.

4. Let me preface this by saying WE LOVED THE MAYAN SUITE but you will encounter bugs... little mini ant looking things paraded around the room non stop. Last day we had a cockroach the size of a small cat in our bathroom. Was quickly smashed. I am not knocking the hotel for this. You are on the ground floor on the water. We expected this but for some this may not be cool. Also we had what sounded like an army of racoons living in our thatched roof. Scratch scratch scratch.. All day and night. We were usually so tired I barely heard it but it was there non stop.

5. Finally this one bugged me the most. We received a letter saying we needed to pay for our wedding in the lobby.... Well, duh. (wedding was 4 hours prior maybe they could have let us get out of our clothes first) I went to the lobby to square up the bill. They told me my card was rejected. Hmm. Weird. So I said I would come tomorrow and try again with different card. Same story. Card rejected (both times now said loud enough for guests to here) Day 3 of trying I brought two cards.. Both rejected so I asked to call my bank to see what was going on.. 55 pesos a minutes please.. Ummm. No. So I asked them to run it again.. There machine was "offline" They rebooted it and it went right through so I wasted 2 hours of my trip, 3 trips to lobby and endured that embarrassment because they didnt know how to run their machines. Fine, but not even I'm sorry.

So all in all it was wonderful. My family loved it. Our wedding was beautiful. The grounds, pools and beach are fabulous but for the above reasons it just lacked in comparison to our first time here. Maybe one day after our son is born we will give the Kantenah a try if they change the dang menu.

Room Tip: Mayan suites are beautiful but expect bugs and wildlife
3  Thank spartygrad95
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Riviera Maya from October 3-6 and stayed at this resort. The place is beautiful and the grounds are well kept. We upgraded our room to one of the cabana suites. If you are a person that likes the outdoors then the cabana will be perfect for you. If iguanas, geicos, huge grasshoppers, etc. give you the creeps then you will probably want to stay in a junior suite. I actually wanted to downgrade to a junior suite but my husband didn't so I toughed it out.

The cabanas have private patios with a hammock and an outdoor shower. Its basically your own private area with everything you need to be comfortable. The room is fully stocked with bottles of alcohol. We didn't even touch the bottles because we were hardly in the room and the resort is all inclusive so you can have all the alcohol you want.

The food choices are immaculate. There are buffet style restaurants as well as restaurants for a sit down dinner. My favorite place to eat was El Jardin. Entertainment is provided nightly. There was always something to do.

The only complaint I have is there were tiny bugs in the bathroom sink which is probably from the room being outdoors. The bugs were about 1/2 mm in size. There was also some of these same type of bugs in the bar area by the door.

I would definitely visit this resort again and would recommend it to any of my family and friends . We are already planning our next vacation to the Dominican Republic. I hope the Palladium resorts there are just as nice or nicer than this resort.

2  Thank Yoli1992
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was our first experience at an all-inclusive. It went way beyond our expectations. The staff went out of their way to help us any way they could. It was very clean everywhere and I saw them sweeping the sidewalks everyday. One day we swam in the ocean, saltwater pool, regular pool, spa pool with lazy river, and the private pool in our section. Thirsty? there is a bar with free drinks just about everywhere. Hungry? there are buffets and restaurants all over. Also snacks at the bars. You can walk to most of the buildings. but just ask and you will be shuttled to them in a golf cart.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family