“Fantastic Service and Friendly Faces”
Review of TRS Yucatan Hotel

TRS Yucatan Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 25, 2012

When you stay at this resort you can be assured that all your requests will be taken care of very quickly. We stayed in the royal suites area and theses rooms are huge!! The bathroom is as big as most peoples living room. The separate bedroom and living room make it seem like you are in a condo. The night shows are fantastic (the second show at the Riviera theater is the best). These shows are a combination of So You Think You Can Dance and Cirque D'Soliel. The Rock Show and Pirate Show was the best in my opinion!! The beach is beautiful and uncrowded. If you are an avid snorkeller look no further than this resort. You can trust me when i say you will see more fish at this resort just snorkelling offshore then paying for a snorkelling tour at Xcaret (i know because i took the tour). I even saw a 80 pound Black Grouper about 2 feet away from my mask!!
The spa is the best spa that i have ever been to (the free things that you can do there is amazing)
The bell-men are top notch friendly people who really care about making your vacation a memorable stress free vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin S
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Dear Kevin S,
I appreciate your good comments and I also would like to take this opportunity to reccommend our shows.
Thank you and I hope you visit us soon.

dtor.whitesandriviera@fiestahotelgroup.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,344)

Reviewed March 23, 2012

This was the 5th time we stayed at the Royal Suites Yukatan. As usual, everything was exemplary. Our only comment would be on the handling of an issue regarding extra cost for 2 bottles of wine. A friend gave us the wine upon his departure, not realizing that there was an extra cost of $44/bottle. He paid for it, but when we became aware that this was costing him, we wanted to return the bottles so he would not be charged. We were told that this could not be done! If this is policy I guess I understand, but the inflexibility of any sort of solution to this issue was a disappointment. The staff are always so accommodating and eager to help - this just seems out of character.

3  Thank Saundra B
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Dear Saundra B,
Thank you for your review. It's nice that you enjoyed your stay.
Regarding the bottles of wine we only can refund money or cancel a credit card transaction only if it is authorised by the owner of the credit card. I'm sorry if this was an inconvenience, it was not our intention.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

We decided to stay there two days (three nights) in order to get some rest at the sea after a wonderful private tour of Yucatan arranged and guided for us by the very talented Balamkaan travel agency. If you are not the ones who take pleasure in eating in huge dishumanized 500 table buffet restaurants or in sitting at a pool surrounded by loud music and the screams of the people who organize entertainment for those who precisely like to have their vacations totally organized this way, then the Royal Suites is probably a good compromise. You are still in the All inclusive mode (which is convenient when you want to be forced to relax instead of hitting the road for restaurants etc.) and at the same time you can access a pool, a restaurant and a place on the beach solely accessible to the Royal Suites clients, i.e. with a resonnable size, no fights for recliners at 6 am in the morning etc. The restaurant El Jardin is either A la carte (limited choice but changes every night) or buffet. If you eat outside you will see racoons coming on the terrace. They look cute but are quick at snapping a finger. Be careful. Food is good and you can always order a Lobster (Langousta) or a beef filet, if you do not like or tire of the rest of the menu. The Royal reserved area on the beach is rather cramped and small and three lines from the shore with the result that you do not see the sea at all and you do not benefit from the breeze of the ocean, so it is very hot (and stinking if someone smokes a cigar around, which is more than often). This area is not reachable by foot and you have to order a cart to get there. Otherwise there is an area at the beach closer to the Royal suites, not dedicated to the Royal clients, but rather quiet, with a salted water pool and a bar. In general terms do not expect to go in the ocean for a swim because the grounds are very rocky (hurting feet and knees very badly) and the waves and currents are quite strong. My husband and I are good swimmers at sea, but this time, we simply could not do it and instead used the pool reserved to the Royal clients (quiet adult only pool). The rooms are quite large but the design is quite silly, with no separation between the bath/toilets part and the room, and partial only glass doors not closing completely for the toilets! Furthermore, there is not a place where you can conveniently hang your towels after the shower or your swim suit when it is wet. Also we had a suite with a jaccuzi which we did not use because it is on a terrace on the mangrove side and hence opened to mosquitoes as soon as the sun goes down. So there is lots of show and shining în the decoration of the room, but lots of inconveniences. Beds however were extremely comfortable. If you stay there, try at least to take the opportunity to visit some Mayan sites or old Haciendas or Cenotes where you can swim. The agency we choose for our tour, called Balamkaan, is managed by people with federal license who have decades of experience in tourism and guiding in the area, are creative and up to date. We can highly recommend that you contact them for a quote if you feel like arranging a one day visit or a tour (either private like we did or collective). Overall the two days at Royal suites were ok, but for what we used them for, a non inclusive more secluded boutique hotel would probably have offered us a better return.

4  Thank Caroline022
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Excellent service, amazing food, all around quality resort.

I have had limited all inclusive vacation experience but this was what a resort vacation should be in my opinion. You would have never known it was March Break, it almost felt like you were the only ones there. With the exception of our last day, there was never a problem finding a nice spot by the pool, or the beach. On the last day many people did the old book and towel trick to hold a spot by the pool. Tacky, to say the least. Especially for such a classy place. We were there for a good 3 hours and no one showed up for those spots. I can’t blame the resort for that and like I said it was not a problem during the week.

I don’t even know where to begin, but everything at this resort was amazing. The variety of a-la-cartes meant we ate at a buffet once! The afternoon before we left. Even that was excellent! I had chicken and lobster at El Jardin (the Royal Suites restaurant) the first night. Amazing! Then we ate at Mediterranean, Japanese, Steak House, Mexican, Italian, Beach BBQ Friday night. All amazing! And there are at least 2 or 3 other restaurants. Service and food were excellent. If I had to pick the worst one, if I had too, it would be the Beach BBQ. Food was good just not as amazing as the others. For breakfast we went to El Jardin every morning. Its close and the food was always…you guessed it, AMAZING!. Then we head over to the Royal lobby for coffee and cappuccino. Special thanks to Jose Luis (our morning coffee guy) and Filberto (our afternoon coffee guy). They were both, amazing!!

The rooms are beautiful and very clean. Well stocked fridge with water, pop, beer and alcohol. We stayed in building 69 which seemed to be the best one.

The private pool is so nice and quiet. Very peaceful, as with the private beach area. Here is where I need to give special thanks to Filmanda (I hope I got that right) she served us drinks in the private beach area. She was so sweet!

The resort is very large, and you have access to all of it. Also our golf cart drivers were very friendly! Thanks Pedro!!

I couldn’t say enough about this place. I’m trying to figure out how and when I can go back!!

If I do go back, I may consider hiring a private coach from the airport. The trip to the resort was a gruelling 2 hours at night through crazy traffic and dropping other travellers off. The airport itself wasn’t too bad, but from reading other peoples posts I think we got lucky.

However, you will forget all about that once you get to the resort and you have a nice cold Heineken in your hands!!! :)

Thanks again to all the staff at the Grand Palladium!!

Room Tip: Building 69 seemed to be the best location, top floor.
7  Thank DigitalMan161
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2017

Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Royal Suites Yucatan.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Best regards,
Grand Palladium Team

Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was our second trip to this resort but our first to the Royal on this side of Mexico after having done the Royal in PV last year. What can I say but everything met or exceeded expectations with the exception of the weather.
CANCUN AIRPORT - the airport from he!!. We arrived at the same time as 16 other planes and it took us two hours to get to and clear customs. Our first time ever pusing the 'red" button but it is not all that bad, an extra 10 minutes while someone went thru our luggage but it was rather cursory and over fast enough. Getting from the airport to outside is always a gauntlet and fair warning the greeters that you meet in this area are not there to help you, get you to your transportation, help you find you tour guide or any of the numerous other services that they are offering...they are strictly there to sell you something. Walk thru eyes straight, no conversation and no nothing until you are outside where you will see the proper reps with the travel company signs who will direct you to your busses. An hour and a half drive to the hotel with two stops on the way but that is part of the trip.
A bit of confusion at the drop off at the hotel but once you understand their system it makes sense. We were booked in the Royal Suites but all the paperwork and drop off points AND pickup were shown as White Sands. The busses cannot get to the Royal Lobby so you are plunked here and just get the royal shuttle to take you over. Check in was smooth and uneventfull. We were in the second floor of building 69 as requested. There are three Royal buildings 69, 70 and 71 and I am happy with 69. No ocean view but I don't know if any did but it was quiet and private, one of the other two faced the bridge to our lobby and zero privacy and also subject to the noises of carts and trucks going over it. Big suites with a Jacuzzi tub on the deck and otherwise all standard ammenities, slippers, robes, hair dryers, coffee makers, etc. The firdge was stocked with 1/2 a dozen beer and pop, 4 bottles of rye, rum, tequila and vodka and all were replenished daily as necessary.
The Royal lobby had it's own bar and a few snacks replenished at random intervals. A "way to go" to the Royal bartenders that were always there, friendly and great on the drinks or in my case the cappacino. There were several that worked there but the main three that stand out are Jose Luis also known as Pepe or Ruiz, Estevan and Filberto. Ask Pepe if he is happy with the Jetta that he just bought. The desk staff were by and large very friendly and efficient with anything that we needed. This where you book your A la cartes which we did quite often and never any problems. FAIR WARNING book you ALC's as necessary. They have a system now where most guests cannot book in advance and you will see line ups of up to 20 people at some of the popular ones. We got a few evil looks walking by these lines to the front with our reservations but oh well that is life.
The Royal also has it's own restaurant El Jardin that is open for breakfast and dinner. Meals can either be from the buffet or the menu and both ways work fine. Damien and his staff and there to help and will go that extra step for you and also make a great cappacino. We did several meals here and all we had was good with none of the standard complaints about cold food, service is not fast on menu items but hey you are on vacation.
The Royal has it's own beach section but whatever reason it is at the opposite end of the resort from the Royal Suites. A good fifteen minute walk on the beach or simply grab the always ready shuttle at the Royal lobby to take you anywhere. Private Bali beds and benchs with your own server to bring drinks, my apologies for not remembering her name but she was great, friendly, always efficient and after one day knew our names. No need to bring towels as these are available at the bar there for Royals with no hassle. One tip when are ready to go back to your room, stop at the bar and call the Royal at 8601 to send the shuttle for you ot you may be waiting uo to 30 minutes for it.
A la cartes, too many to list, we tried 8 of the 11 or so and our favorites, were Sumptori(Japanese), Portobello(Italian) and La Adelita(Mexican). Food was good at all of them and for the Japanese make sure you request a Tepanyaki table. These are the tables that get the cooking shows and were well worth it. The shows are not up the same level as home but cudos to Victor who we saw twice who did a very good show with humor and expertise.
Entertainment, shows, stores on the resort are the same as most resorts no surprises. Vendors set up most nights in one or more of the four lobbies and prices were comparable to off resort. Vendor prices were not that much different from what you would pay in Playa. The simple way to get to Playa is walk outside the gate and get the collectivo. They are local shuttle vans that travel up and down the highway, safe and cheap(30 pesos). We used them several times to both Playa Del Carmen in the north and Tulum in the south.
There is a lot more that I could add but many others have covered it. If I had anything to complain about it would be the soso maid service. As Royal we could request specific room times for cleaning that were never followed, in fact on one occasion after 4:00 I had to request the desk get someone to come and do it as the maid was gone for teh day and nada for us. The room cleaning was mediocre but I have learned never to complain about someone who has access to your toothbrush when you are out of the room.
All things considered, maid not withstanding, we would do the resort again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Tomsterca2011
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Tomsterca,
Thank you for your time and your feedback. I appreciate all your good comments and will pass the information to the departments involved on all those aspects we can improve.
I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

My daughters (ages 20 and 21) and I stayed at the Royal Suites Yucatan the first week of March. The advantages of staying at the Royal Suites include the wonderful El Jardin restaurant, the peaceful Royal Lobby Bar, private beach area (although it's at the other end of the resort) and the private pool and bar area. You also have access to the rest of this beautiful resort, including multiple pools, al a carte restaurants and buffets. My daughters enjoyed the activities at the other pools, yet I got to spend some time relaxing around the more quiet areas. The service we received at this resort, especially at the El Jardin and other Royal Suites areas made us feel very special and welcomed. Throughout the entire resort, the staff were incredibly friendly and always returned a simple "Hola" with a greeting and smile. When you stay at the Royal Suites you are able to make reservations at the al a carte restaurants. We dined at Portofino and the Japanese show table at the Sumptori restaurant, both outstanding experiences. The jungle/beach setting of this resort is definitely beautiful and we really enjoyed the chance to experience the unique wildlife and natural features such as the saltwater pool. The spa is also a very unique experience with many free options for those wishing to experience the serenity and water therapies. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank NVilleGirl

Dear NVilleGirl,
I'm happy that you could enjoy your holidays with your family in our Royal Suites.
Thank you for your good comments and we will be waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

This was our 5th and best (so far) visit to Grand Palladium, 4th visit to the all adult suites. My blood pressure literally dropped by 30 points during this 1 week. The Suites pool was a haven for us and even though the weather was not so good the first half of the week, we had a fantastic time anyway. The service and friendliness everywhere in the resort were unbelievable. The meals at El Jardin, Mare Nostrum, Porto Fino, La Adelita and the buffets were very good. We had some mobility issues this trip and really appreciated the fast and courteous shuttle rides all over the resort.

Aurora (and her elves!!) provided us with an evening we will always remember. In all our travels we have NEVER been treated as well as you did our last evening. Thank you! We are not able to express the depth of our appreciation for your thoughtfulness, and we are already booking our trip for 2013.

One side note. We spent several hours at the Jungle Place, a spider monkey rescue, and had such a memorable time. We were in a tree house with 8 spider monkeys who hugged, climbed and slept on us. We were awed by their human-ness and the care and dedication of their humans. You need to make reservations several weeks in advance, but it's worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor and those facing the canal are the quietest.
5  Thank Robin P

Good morning bob&robin,
Thank you for chosing us for the 5th time. I will pass all your good comments to Aurora and the rest of the Royal Suites staff who made all this possible.