“Very Relaxing Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Clara City, MN
“Very Relaxing Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2009

We took our honeymoon to the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort. We absolutely loved the resort. It is large enough that you don't feel like you're crowded even when there are a lot of people there.

Book your restaurants right away when you get there. We ate at 9:00 every night and it was nice because a couple of nights we had the restaurant all to ourselves. The can't miss restaurant is the Japanese restaurant. The rest were good, but not great. You can tell that everything is cooked in corn oil. It all has that corn taste to it. We thought the food was good, just not great.

Our tip for this resort***** Bring your own beach towel. If you don't turn the resort's towel card (they give you a card that can be exchanged for a towel and vise versa) in at the end of your stay you will be charged $40. Bring your own and just leave the towel card in the safe in your room. Someone stole one of our towels off of our beach chair so we had to pay for one of them.

The grounds are large, but we found the walking around very nice, and like I said earlier it made it feel like there were very few people there.

The pools were very nice. The swim up bars are fun and the service is good. We spent most of our pool time in the "quiet" pool (the one without a pool bar.) Because it was the pool with the least people in it. The lazy river is nice too.

The poolside/ocean side snack bars are nice too. My favorite was the one by the beach. I loved the fajitas that were there at lunchtime every day.

The ice cream cafe is nice on a hot day. And the coffee bar is nice after the evening meal.

The room was nice and big, and since we were on our honeymoon we had an oceanview room and a basket of fruit and champaign and tequilla on arrival. The rooms were clean and we didn't have a problem with the a/c at all. We thought the bed was comfortable.

Overall, we had a great relaxing time and couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
12 Thank radegrote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Polish first
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

This was my first time at a resort in Quanta Roo (Honestly it was my first time staying in Mexico) and for someone going there for a first time, it was much more then I expected. I had read a few of the bad reviews on this site, but they didn’t really worry me that much. I have to say this has been the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed at. Okay, to tell the truth I have never been to an all inclusive resort before either. When I first got my jaw dropped at how amazing it looked from the outside (and I hadn’t even been able to explore the rest of the hotel). Coming from -14C weather it was a change, but I loved it. The hotel is huge, I’ll give you that much, but people in this world is getting too lazy if you can’t walk around the place. It’s not that big okay, it’s easy to get around the whole perimeter in just one hour. Anyways on with the review:

Service: We got checked in actually fairly fast, for the amount of people who were coming off the bus with us. It wasn’t right away, but I didn’t mind waiting to get a clean room, we were there too early anyways and got out room well before we were supposed to. All the people there were extremely friendly, especially compared to back home here. They were hard working and overall kept the resort very clean. Again, for a huge resort it would take a lot of work to keep it up to standards. Our room was always clean when we got back from the beach and I think the employees did an amazing job. I wouldn’t give a single complaint about them.

Rooms: I fell in love with that tub the moment I stepped in the room. I had a bath easily every single night. We stayed in the block closest to the steakhouse pool, so it was easy to access the buffet in the morning. Yes the room had a slightly musty smell, but no it does not stick to your clothing and after a while you get used to it. (Me…I enjoy that smell for some strange reason but I’m sure you won’t be grotesque by the aroma. It’s not as bad as some of the reviews say). The cleanliness of the room was hard to beat too, due to the fact it was cleaned every morning. Beds were comfortable and I enjoyed having the TV in the room. Overall I would give the rooms 5 stars, as well as the hotel so far.

Food: I probably am one of the pickiest eaters you will ever meet, and I ate pretty much everything. It all tasted good to me, yes I might be biased because I have never stayed at one of these hotels before but it easily matched up to the restaurants at home. A la Cart was amazing, dressing up for them was fun to. We were privileged enough to get into 5, Steak House twice, Japanese, Mexican and Italian. Japanese was by far the most fun, interactive with the food cooked right in front of your face. Steakhouse had amazing fish according to my Dad and I would say the seasoning on my Ribs was exquisite as well. You can’t beat the Mexican restaurant, which also had amazingly seasoned meat in the tacos. Finally the Italian restaurant had large servings, but none the less it was amazing as well. People said you could get board of the Buffet but I didn’t find myself swayed into that belief. I had something new to eat everyday and again it was all amazing. Breakfast by far was the best at the Buffet and I highly recommend if you go there to try the Orange Juice. It tasted as though it was freshly squeezed right on the location. We ate at the beach buffet most of the time for lunch and I would recommend getting the chicken wings, or nachos. I cannot say how much I enjoy the drinks, I am not old enough to enjoy the full variety of choices, but for people under the age of 18 there’s more then enough to choose from.

Beach/Pools: As for the Beach, the beach chairs made a nice touch. We made sure to grab a pare everyday and they were really good for tanning on. You didn’t get boiling hot due to the wind, but it wasn’t freezing either. For me I found this the perfect temperature. Snorkelling off the beach was quite exciting, there are many fish to see, and one day I saw one that was bigger then myself. Kinda scary but once I noticed that the fish was probably more scared of me I got more comfortable. Beach bar had excellent service including the fact of how many people there were to get around to on the beach, loved the Lemon Daiquiris. As for the pools they were always clean, never was there a day when I stepped into one and found it unappealing. The swim up bars were also very fun for doing something like that for the first time. Service there was excellent as well. Make sure you go on the Lazy River in the morning when all the small kids aren’t splashing around in it, it can be very relaxing just laying there on the tube, or you can decide to swim through it. Both ways, its very fun and a nice touch.

Shows: I attended two of these because the days were tiring and I decided to go to bed early most of the days. I say the Broadway show and the Lion king and both had amazing actors, singers and dancers. Usually I am not into this sort of thing, but I ended up enjoying them. They were fun and you should make sure to check one out before the end of the trip.

Overall I would highly recommend this to anyone interested. The floors aren’t slippery as people say. I went there expecting slick floors which were impossible to walk on, and no, didn’t get that. My side walk is easily double as slippery in the winter, so don’t worry about whatever people say. If it rains, you can get picked up and driven places in the Golf Carts which I found amazing. I wasn’t too keen on getting wet the last night when it was raining so this was just perfect. Food was amazing too, though again I am easily impressed by this sort of thing. Go ahead and read some of the poor reviews, yes I may be swayed with my easily impressed little mind but overall I would say most of the people there had enjoyed it the same amount as me. The only thing I disliked about the whole trip was coming home.

• Liked — Pretty much everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank Callykitty
montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

Hello all...

Just got back from the Grand Sirenis. We (7 in all) were there from Jan 3rd to Jan 10th! Overall this was a great vacation.

Pro's

Rooms were great- period.
Staff is very friendly and extremely hard working (tip them, they deserve it).
Weather was perfect...28-29 everyday.
Grounds are beautiful..
Snorkeling was fun
Ate at Restaurants every night..(my brother in law was crowned "MR. MEXICO", that helped!! Ha Ha
I suggest you get involved in the activities, it is what made this holiday memorable and hilarious.
Pools are fantastic

Con's

Too far from airport (2hours)
Food was not consistant (example Salsa- one day it was great, next day it was soooo spicy I thought my eyes would fall out of my head...I learnt my lesson quickly ;)
Bathrooms-----ok, this was scary. I swear I got locked in twice. The door handles get jammed and you just can not get out. First time I had to crawl under the door to get out and the second time I was let out by someone else that happen to be there at the right time!
Food...was never really HOT. Japanese restaurant was my favorite because they cook it right in front of you so it WAS hot.
Last...for all you folks heading there...on the Friday before we left the staff discovered an Aligator on tbeach at around 4pm...they claimed they caught it at around 12:30am...I must say I was a little sceptical about this on Saturday morning when I went down to the beach to see the RED FLAGS out (which means water is dangerous). Needless to say word got out and no one went in the water. He was right around where we went snorkeling everyday. I am glad this did not happen on day 1 of our trip. Good luck to those of you headed that way!

All in all I would reccommend this Hotel to families, my 2 neices
5and 8 had a great time (especially with the staff).

• Liked — The rooms were great...
  • Disliked — food was not hot
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank MontrealGroup
Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

We just got back from 1 measly week at the Grand Sirenis.We went with my sister and her B.F. We are all in our 40's. We had the best time.Done a fair amount of all inclusive travel and have never been treated so well by staff. Most of the all inclusives wait for you to come and wait in line for food and drink. This place looks for you! My wine glass was never half empty all week! The rooms were amazing, even the hole in the wall.Check in was great and fast.We were building 29(he best). We did arrange a ride to shorten the wait and it was worth it!The food was great. We only ate at the main Buffet once. There was a wonderful New Years Meal, We ate at the French, (The lamb was to die for,) The Mediterranian, Soooo Good. Great seafood, the fish dishes were awesome and try the pudding! I couldn't decide on a meal and the waiter bought me 2!We tried the Japanese, was good, and the Brazilian, soo much food. Awesome salad bar. The house wine was very good in our opinion. We were happy with the smaller snack bars for breaky and lunch.Lazy river and the pools were awsome. Great drinks at our pool bar! Beach bar had fantastic wings and nachos .You never had to wait long on the beach for great service from the girls.Snorkeling was terrific, we enjoyed it as much as Xel-Ha. And the coffee house! OMG! To finish a meal with an ameretto capuchino!Evening shows were ok. If a person had to complain, the main floor hallways were a little noisy n the morning, the entertainment guys were only interested in entertaining you if you were under 25, and there was alot of kids. An adult section would be nice. All in All a Fabulous Vacation! The waiters are the best bar none! Bring lots of money to tip them. They deserve it!

Stayed January 2009
8 Thank Sherry_J
Saint Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

I booked this trip back in August of 2007, and am just now getting ready to post. I used Apple Vacations to book this trip: which included round trip airfare (no-stop) and the hotel’s all-inclusive package, which is probably standard anyway. Being honeymooners, our travel agent made sure that the hotel was aware of this, because there are extra perks involved.

Upon arriving in Mexico we pretty much followed everyone else to find the baggage claim and then continued to the shuttle station. To our surprise a Cargo Van picked my wife and I up along with another family, which was good news because it would be a no stop trip to the hotel. We weren’t so lucky on the way back, but I’ll get to that later…

The hotel/resort was beautiful. The historic yet modern architecture is modeled after the ancient Mayan Ruins. The combination of jungle surroundings and wide open sloped style buildings make you feel like your in the movie Apocalypto. The beaches are very natural, which means it is pretty rocky and a lot of coral was kept and not cleaned out, like other resorts do. So this makes it perfect for snorkeling but be sure to bring some water shoes because it can be dangerous.

As for our room, we had a great view of the ocean being on the second level. The buildings are only three levels, so they sit kind of low, and keep in mind the surrounding jungle may hinder your views. The famous hole-in-the-wall was cool with us since we were honeymooners, and I really thought that the idea was neat, since I never saw anything like that before. Everything was very clean. The king size bed was comfortable, and the a/c was cold – in August this was perfect!

Food was pretty good but not the best. If you went to the buffets/snack bars everything tasted as if it were re-cooked and rubbery, and pretty bland. I think a lot of food was re-used from the night before. As soon as we got there we made our dinner reservations, which is suggested so you will be able to get a table. The restaurants were great, we went to the Steakhouse, Italian, Mexican, and one night was a lobster buffet, which was the best! As for breakfast, be sure to always go to the Main Buffet, since they have the most variety and freshest things! In fact, we wished we would have know that – since we found that out mid-way thru the trip.

Now for the most memorable part of the trip: Hurricane Dean. About half way through the trip we found out about this huge tropical storm, Dean, hitting Jamaica and then heading on a crash course for the Rivera Maya – and would be a category 5 by the time it hit. So here we are… do we stay or try to get out early…? We found out that it would probably hit the day we leave, so that made us pretty nervous. We mainly didn’t want the airport to shut down before then… Call it being brave or pushing your luck but we decided to stay… In the days leading up to our departure the resort looked like a ghost town and was kind of creepy, but kind of nice; since everything was clear for the taking and the beach was empty. The creepiest part was seeing all the boarded up rooms in preparation for the storm, and on our last day some staff came to board up our glass patio door… we talked to the very nervous staff – who, I’ll give it to them – keep up high spirits and stayed positive. One person told us that “the resort has had no casualties” which I thought was an odd statement, also considering the hotel as just recently opened in Dec. of 2007…

What a way to go out, I thought!!

The day we were to leave, we sat on the steps of the hotel at 6:45 a.m. waiting for the bus to come and bring us to the airport (which was closing at 11 a.m. and our flight was leaving at 10:30 a.m.)! So we are freaking out at this point and just wanted to leave. Better yet, here comes the charter bus to pick us up, only about a hour late… and it turns out we stopped at about 5 different resorts along the way to pick up more people… To make things worse, the people we were picking up at the different resorts were late getting to the bus stop, which was really aggravating myself and everyone else on the bus… “Come on, I don’t want to be stuck here… Leave them behind!!”, some people were saying… It was a very crazy and nerve-racking experience, but we made it to the airport with little time to spare! We had to board our plane in 30 minuets! The airport was pack with people, who looked like, would be stuck there since the airport was getting ready to close. We barley had time to stop at the duty-free to get cheap alcohol and Mexican coffee beans, and other souvenirs. But we got on-board and the hell out of Mexico.

Other than almost being stuck in a category 5 hurricane, I would say the trip went well. We now plan our trips in the winter/spring months. ☺

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mandjj
Providenciales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

Great hotel, friendly staff, great food.
Only complaint (and a minor one) is no choice to get better beer or wine. The all-inclusive "beer and wine" leaves much to be desired. I would rather have the choice to pay extra and get better quality, but this was not available (or at least was not offered as an option).
Made the mistake of not requesting a non-smoking room/building.
All in all a great place, and if I had the time I would go back in a flash. Trips to Coba, and Dolphius were fantastic.

• Liked — All small details were covered, very smooth atmosphere
  • Disliked — no selection of beer or wine
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family