“Great Family Vacation”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed over March Break for a week at the Grand Sirenis. Overall a wonderful holiday. Hotel rooms were super spacious and clean. Grounds beautiful and well kept. Our favourite part of this location was the beach! A private cove made for wonderful snorkeling and swimming. There was a mixture of white sandy beach with great rock climbing and jumping. Our boys did endless exploring. The private cove was nice as no people from other resorts wandered by and no beach vendors trying to sell you things. The pools were beautiful too. We especially loved the quieter pool and lazy river. The night time entertainment was good. Pretty standard as per other resorts. Food was satisfactory. Always managed to find something everyone liked.
Advice:
Book your a la carte restaurants the first night you arrive. We liked the Brazilian best, Japanese was good too. Food is average as compared to other resorts we have been at.
Ask for a room on top floor if you can as it is quieter. We were in 2739 Le Mirage Llke Bldg.
It was great for the 5 of us.
Great snorkeling at Akumal Beach which is only 10min from the resort. Save money and don't do the tour, just cab over there, listen to the spiel about protected turtles and then walk down beach and snorkel at your own pace. (Provided you have your own gear)
Bring all your own sunscreen and lotion as the store there is outrageously expensive and bank machine did not work the whole time we were there so bring cash if you need.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Top floor, bldg away from pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Claudine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here the first week of April. First off, let me start by saying that the staff at this resort are truly the best you'll come across anywhere. More on that later...

I'm going to break this down into sections and give you an all around feel for what we found were the best and not so great experiences we had.

CHECKING IN:

Okay, I don't mean to start this review off on a bad note, but perhaps the only truly disappointing part of our trip (and the many others who were at the check-in counter at the same time), was the apparent miscommunication between the travel agencies and the resort. When we booked out trip (we used Flight Centre here in Canada), the agent asked us if we wanted a king sized bed, or two double beds. Obviously being an engaged couple who doesn't hate each other...we chose the king sized bed. When we got to the resort, we were told that the agent had merely requested that we get this option, and that it was not guaranteed. Why do I mention this? - Because you should make sure you know that if the resort is full when you get there...you might not get what you want! After some negotiating, we ended up getting the room we wanted..however...our first night was not pleasant as our room was full of ants and other bugs. See "Room" as to why...

ROOM:

My biggest recommendation for the room itself, is to ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Refuse if they offer you a room on the 1st ground level. First of all, it's very noisy...and second, most of the ground level rooms look onto the jungle; hence all the lovely bugs, lizards and cockroaches that made their way into our room at night. Not fun. We eventually got put on the 3rd floor, but only after a lengthy argument with the Supervisor "Jorge" who was absolutely awful and rude the entire time. More on him in "Staff" below. The other ridiculous thing, especially since none of the other neighboring 5 star resorts have this policy, is that WiFi is not free! If you are lucky, you get 15 minutes and have to pay $40 dollars for the rest of the week. That's just unacceptable in today's worked and I hope they read this and change that policy. Literally everyone we met complained about it.

STAFF:

We can't say enough about the staff. Some of the nicest, kindest and most hard working people we have ever come across. I've listed the names of the people we remember below:

Alverto - He's the head waiter at the Brazilian steak house (one of the a-la-cart restaurants.) He was an absolute joy and made us feel very welcomed the entire time. Really great guy and very professional.

Jesus & Angel - The two Bartenders at the Riviera Maya lobby bar. I believe it's called the "Tequila Bar" These two guys were probably our favorites. They made incredible drinks, were always friendly, remembered us every day we visited and would replace our drinks before we even asked. Very professional and incredibly kind. There were a ton of young, rude American spring breakers who would swear, make rude gestures and demand drinks...and these two gentlemen always maintained their cool and stayed professional the whole time. If their Manager is reading this, make sure you don't lose employees like these two! Pay them well and treat them with respect. They deserve it!

The boy in the Towel hut (Palapa) by the beach - Sadly, I didn't catch his name..but he walks with a limp. He was incredible and kind. He was so friendly and would high-5 us every time we came to get towels. He would often be yelled at by other guests if he had to go and replenish the towels or carry the heavy cart of dirty towels to empty them. Since he was alone, he had to close the palapa for a few minutes each time to do his rounds and a lot of rude guests would yell at him for taking too long. This broke our hearts because he has a disability and people can be so incredibly heartless. It's a towel...wait a minute for Pete's sake! He always stayed positive and smiled! :)

Herardo Merano - He's in the Tulum Buffet and works in the mornings and evenings. He told us jokes, made us laugh...was so attentive and professional and always made sure we had a nice place to sit and have our food. Great guy all around.

Now some of the not so great staff...

"Jorge" - The "Supervisor" at the check-in. This guy didn't even speak to us; he would speak in Spanish in front of us to his staff and they would rely his negative messages. He was rude, avoided eye contact, walked away when you spoke with him (or tried to) and generally seemed like he was on a power trip. One of the girls who worked there too...was the same. She seemed like she hated her job. I think her name was Carla or something. She never smiled...looked down at her papers as she spoke to you and always spewed hotel policy instead of trying to find a solution. She was only nice in the last 2 minutes before we left the hotel at checkout because she was afraid we'd leave a bad review. The Manager at the Japanese restaurant was also very bad. Didn't catch his name, but he was tall...sleeked back hair and walks with a slight limp. He was stand offish, didn't seem to care whether you liked your experience or not...and didn't once come to ask everyone how the food was, unlike the Brazilian restaurant where the management was impeccable.

FOOD:

The Tulum buffet was really great. Large selection and huge variety of foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nice to see theme nights where one country was highlighted and foods were made to reflect that culture. The food can taste a bit bland at times, as they don't add much salt. There is salt and pepper at all the tables though, so no big deal. Overall, amazing buffet.

The A-la-cart restaurants we tried were: 1) Steakhouse 2) Brazilian 3) Japanese. The only truly good one was the Brazilian. If you book this one, go hungry!! You'll eat enough meat to feed a herd. The Steakhouse was really bad....and the steak was not at all up to par with what you are used to in Canada or the U.S. The Japanese was also pretty bad...but then again, we're from Vancouver and spoiled with great sushi at every block. From what we now know, the best options are: Italian, Brazilian and Japanese (although, like I said, we didn't like it)

BEACH/POOLS:

The beach is amazing. There is a massive coral reef right in front of the hotel and if you are lucky and its not too windy, you can snorkel right at the hotel. There are turtles, fish and amazing coral. You can only do this if there are yellow or green flags on the beach. If you see red flags, that means the sea is too choppy and windy for snorkeling. The snorkeling equipment is free and so is any other non-motorized equipment. Just head over to the Dive center to the right of the beach to get gear. The pools are also great and there are several to choose from. We liked the ones near the beach because they were big and relatively quiet. You could swim, read a book and relax. There is one pool that has a swim up bar, but it's the "teenager" pool and has loud music playing all day. Also is full of drunk kids and is overall a very pretentious area. Basically like Vegas.

CLEANLINESS:

The rooms were very clean and the resort in general was spotless. They always took care of any issues right away and made sure everything was clean. Our room was always cleaned well and we had no issues in this regard.

TIPPING:

This is really up to you, but we tipped the bartenders, maid, servers and transportation people. A dollar or two goes a long way, especially in U.S. dollars. You don't have to tip after every drink, but I'd say leave a dollar after every two or three drinks and 2 dollars after every meal at the buffet. 3-5 dollars for the a-la-cart dinners and 1-2 dollars for transportation.

LEAVING THE RESORT TO SEE OTHER PLACES:

We were told to take the taxi to Playa-Del-Carmen because it's "safer", but it costs over $30 US dollars to go 30 minutes away. We thought that was a bit ridiculous. The staff were nice enough to tell us about the "Collectivo" instead. They are like city buses, but small, clean and air-conditioned vans that come to your resort (albeit by the highway, not the lobby) and take you to either Tulum in one direction, or Playa-Del-Carmen in the other direction. It only costs about $3.50 US per person each way. Very safe, clean and cheap. If you are traveling with kids, however, take the Taxi. There are only a few seats available each time the Collectivo drives by. It's first come, first serve.

OVERALL we loved this place. It was also nice to be in a resort that was surrounded by nature, as long as your room isn't in the jungle. The Iguanas are awesome...and all over the resort. They run away when you approach them, so don't get scared! There are a lot of racoons at night too..so if you order room service and leave your tray outside your door...expect a raccoon at your doorstep at night. All of the rooms have outdoor hallways, nothing is really indoor and away from the elements. Amazing staff, good food, very clean, awesome beach and fun fun fun.

Room Tip: We were in the "25" room range 25XX and found it to be great. Go as high as possible, pref...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Macsab
London, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This was my first time at the Sirenis and my travelling partner's third time. It is an hour bus ride from the airport in Cancun but the ride went by fast. The resort needs a bit of updating as some of the buildings and pool areas are starting to show their age but this didn't deter from our experience. The staff were all very friendly, the food was what is to be expected from an all-inclusive, and the amenities were all good. The beach is a bit rocky but that is due mostly to all the coral in and around the area, so be sure to bring water shoes. Great place to snorkel!!! You can see all kinds of fish and sea turtles!! They have very hard working bar staff - if you get the chance, visit Diego at pool #1 - he's the best!

The weather was absolutely perfect this time of year, so that certainly made the trip!

Room Tip: The rooms on the "newer" side to the left of the resort (when facing the front entrance...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jackie D
Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I just stayed here (early April, late March), we are in our late 20s. I have very mixed feelings about the hotel and I can say that I am NOT high maintenance and think my following review is truthful and fair.

The facilities here were great, the lazy river, the beach, the spa, the pool, the snorkeling was probably the best I have ever done. If you do anything go on the snorkeling tour with the hotel, plus a few of the staff members for the tour are pretty easy to look at. Extra bonus, sea turtles, sting rays and holding a star fish. WORTH IT, DO IT.

We basically did everything on this trip. We went to the BBQ on the beach, which was fun and the food wasn't terrible at all. Entertainment was good, dancers are fun to watch. Go to XPlor and XelHa/Tulum, if you do nothing else. The other tours were great too, I loved Chichen Itza an Xcaret, but those first two were very memorable.

On to the negative portion of this review...

Our room wasn't as clean as I would have expected. Our shower had gunk on the floor that looked like old gum that was never cleaned up. The staff was great until there was a problem, then they were terrible.

The internet was awful, which I had to pay an additional $40 for. The power went out and I was unable to use it for a day and they wouldn't give me an extra day for a missed day on my 7 day paid internet, plus I could only use the internet in the lobby. It was a total joke. Oh and the freaking power went out during dinner time, so we sat in the dining area in the pitch black for about 5-10 minutes. They clearly do not have a generator... which was alarming.

Our beach towel was taken from our room by the maid service and they tried to charge us $20, mind you, this was not a nice towel. After much difficulty one person managed to help us, but not without a 45 minute fight with the front desk.... all over this little crappy blue towel.

The food was horrendous. Everything came from frozen packaging, most of which was still frozen by the time it was served to us. There was several instances that I bit into an ice cold frozen avocado in the guacamole. Even being able to speak Spanish the staff still did not comprehend the "please don't put meat in my beans" concept. I said it in English and in Spanish. It was absurd. Plus where the hell was the Mexican food! It seemed they had everything but Mexican food at this resort in Mexico. WEIRD!

Plus side... they have a juice bar with fresh juice which is pretty great....

If you don't speak Spanish, learn a couple words and phrases before coming here.... it seemed that I had to speak Spanish for several people to the staff. Probably a good move no matter where you visit, to learn a few necessary words... but especially here.

Overall, the trip was great. The area is beautiful, the beach is wonderful at the hotel. The drinks are made well, but if you are looking for a 5 star hotel, DO NOT COME HERE. If you do not care about the negative things I mentioned then this place will do just fine.

Room Tip: 1800 block was perfect. Right near the pool and close to the lobby with the "better" food...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brandie R
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say????? WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!! Beautiful grounds Beautiful hotel and superb staff! Rooms are of a really good size with HUGE beds and all the trimmings you'd expect from a platinum property. The food is really nice not your regular plain old buffet either. Staff are really helpful and friendly. The beach is gorgeous beautiful coves and coral in the bays. Dreamliner flight was amazing!!!! So worth booking with Thomsons just for the flight! Even being seriously picky I can't honestly fault it. We stayed at another property last year in the same area but with Thomas Cook and what a difference in every aspect of the holiday it was the Blubay grand esmerelda (avoid!) I feel some people expect to treat staff like slaves and peasants which is terrible! You treat people as you would like to be treated in return and your in for one Hell of a treat here we found the staff to be more like great friends. I really can't pick a hole in anything here so am more than confident to recommend this hotel!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank holidaylover1711
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend our in our early 20s and we stayed here march. The main thing I have to point out is to ignore any awful reviews you read these people are obviously too high maintenance, it's great value for money.

The hotel complex is massive but I didn't mind this, the hotel was basically built in a jungle so yor surrounded by lovely greenery iguanas and the odd raccoon of a night, this isn't a problem though they leave you well alone.

Beach is fab! You might want to take some water shoes as has some corol in the sea, and also take a snorkel of your like me and love that type of thing.

The food is lovely, plenty of restaurants and a big buffet hall. My favourites where Brazilian, And Italian. The one thing I would say was I was a little disappointed with the Mexican al a carte. I love to eat Mexican food in the UK and it just wasn't what I expected. But other than that can't complain about the food.

Drinks are fab. Some lovely cocktails. I would however recommend buying something called a 'bubba mug' or something or that sort for your drinks around the pool. Asda have them or the internet.

Pools are fab. Entertainment team where faultless. As where the evening shows. An A for effort guys.

Went to the spa for the day for the couples hydrotherapy and massage. If you have the chance then GO it was fabulous.

Trips. We went to coco bongos gold member, well worth it! What a fab night!!!
Also went on the Captain Hook excursion on Cancun bit of a drive but again, brilliant night! Well worth it,
We also went to swim with the dolphins and to xel ha!! What an experience.

Overall an amazing holiday we have came back wanting to book Mexico for next year! The staff are fabulous then the food is good. Hotel is spotless at all times

Thanks to everyone at the Mayan beach our making our stay so amazing x

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Alexandraphilip
Delta, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed as a family of 4 adults- 2 rooms from Mar. 24- Apr 1, 2014. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this resort. The staff and the the resort itself is amazing- the beach unbelievable! Great snorkeling and lots of white sand for people to enjoy. Bar service is a little slow out there, but no big deal as there was a beach bar not far.
The pool was great- swim up bar fantastic and the bartenders were always very quick to serve you and happy to do so.
The resort is big and gorgeous- lots of walking but very enjoyable,
The buffets were alright, no complaints- had something to please everyone.
The a la carte restaurants were great but you had to book well in advance.
The only real negative was that although the rooms (suites) are large and spacious- the beds are rock hard and uncomfortable. The beds and the bedding really need to be updated so they are comfortable and cozy.
We found the staff to be very pleasant, helpful and extremely hard working.
In particular, there is a bartender by the name of Samuel who works at the Mezcal hotel lobby bar and I have to say his service was incredible and he treated our whole family like royalty. What an amazing young man- if you get a chance go visit him!
We would definitely go back to this resort!
Laura and family

Room Tip: Building 24 is where we stayed- quite far from everything so lots of walking but very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family